PDA

View Full Version : F.o.c

rpalt1
03-13-2011, 05:24 PM
My arrows are 9.8% foc, according to charts thats within range. What is the best for performance? How critical is foc?

Ehunter
03-13-2011, 05:30 PM
For target shooting, I'd think you should be just fine. For hunting, I'd try to get the FOC a little higher. The arrows I'm shooting right now are close to 19% FOC. They seem to get better penetration that way. They say 10-15% is what to shoot for as an all around arrow. Most of what I've hunted with in the past has been right at 14-15%, and it works well. Makes for a good stable arrow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-13-2011, 05:35 PM
x2 Ehunter said it. Mine are about 12% and work great. But I probably will bring them up a little more.

Hutch:cool:

rpalt1
03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
ok if Iuse the caculator on hunters friend where I had my arrows made,and go with 125gr heads then I get 12% foc. I'll try them and see how I shoot.as I stated in another thread My arrows today were shooting slightly tail left,will going to a heavier head throw it off more or less?:confused:

ElkSlayer
03-13-2011, 06:05 PM
How well do they fly ?
keep in mind If all your doing is shooting for fun / hunting..all you need to worrie about is how they fly with BH on.
I agree with The fact the higher it is the better the flight. but with new compound bows launching arrows like a stinger missile 5% just dont factor in

Trad Bows..well that when it truly matters ;)

This is supposed to be a fun thing to do, not stress a guy out :cool:

rpalt1
03-13-2011, 06:34 PM
yeah i definately know how to stress my self out lol I enjoy the tinkering though. I just have to get used to tuning this new bow. I'm not used to tuning with y cables and single cams. My old hoyt was a breeze to tune but it was also a bear of a bow. One of the reasons I'd consider going to 125's is that I still have a old pack of muzzy's unopened and if they fly well might as well use them. This is such a great forum by getting everyones input it gives me a good foundation to start,and besides it'll distract me from the fact hunting season is 6 months away lol

ElkSlayer
03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
If you have them Use them...Itsa no brainer that way :D becides I realy like my 125 meat smackin muzzys:cool:

CaptJJ
03-13-2011, 08:26 PM
How well do they fly ?
keep in mind If all your doing is shooting for fun / hunting..all you need to worrie about is how they fly with BH on.
I agree with The fact the higher it is the better the flight. but with new compound bows launching arrows like a stinger missile 5% just dont factor in

Trad Bows..well that when it truly matters ;)

This is supposed to be a fun thing to do, not stress a guy out :cool:

I agree, you're over-thinking it if you are calculating FOC to the tenth(0.1%), it's just gotta be in the range. Have fun.:D

elkslayer4x5
03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Nothing wrong with a Muzzy, tough, ya can reharpen them, and there are differnt tip weights. :)

http://www.broadheadtalk.com/muzzy/2482-tocar-tip-weight.html

parttimr
03-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Everything I read is that the FOC for hunting should be between 10%-15% so that;s what I was shooting for. And if any of you are interested I have an unopened pack of Muzzy 125's and practice blades never used just PM me.

Rockyhud
03-14-2011, 04:38 AM
This thread started some months ago on AT regarding FOC and arrow weight. There have been quite a few folks, including your truly, who delved into this topic, theoretically and in practice, to see what worked and what didn't. After experimenting some myself and reading what others had found, as well as reading most of the articles on arrow lethality by Dr Ed Ashby, I've come to appreciate what archers in the past and present know about striving for high FOC and heavier arrow weight too. Dr Ashby also has some very enlightening info about broadheads - which ones and types work best.

AT thread on FOC - fairly long but a lot of good info in it.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1097703&highlight=extreme+foc

Links to Dr Ed Ashby's published field test reports. Again, LOTS of very informative data he's compiled over almost 30 years.
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=24