PDA

View Full Version : when and why not to re-shoot an arrow

gravedigger
03-13-2011, 06:43 PM
so i layd out a bad shot,i meen a really bad shot.i was talking to ES and he said to lay out a thread on why not to re-shoot an arrow like this one.i was thinking i could get it out and let it fly.so why could i not let this one find it mark again...and this was with my bow turnd down to 55lbs.thats what i shoot my wallyworld foam block at.the 73lbs goes right through it.

elkslayer4x5
03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Because more than likely, the point and insert have beed driven back into the carbon shaft, and may 'grenade' on you next time you shoot it. :(

rjd
03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Usally mine are in shardsat the end. No need to think about shooting it again.
Of course I usally only buy the least expensive ones that I can find.

ElkSlayer
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
first off like i said it most likely wont come out of that and you will need to cut it off with a dremel... if any cracks are transferd up the shaft..and you shoot it.. I may come apart on the shot and drive splinters of it into your hand/ arm.:(... Im sure others will chim in with real life stories and or pictures.. as i said it will most likely end up holdin up the wifes roses
But now you find ou why.;)

ElkSlayer
03-13-2011, 07:19 PM
here found these after a google image search that took a nano sec..
the 1st one i seen on AT, do a quick foarm search there.. you will fin more scary stuff then you may wan to read..but its must know info...
Alway check your arrows for damage when you pull um ( like the group you posted) and any Bad shots such as this one... just flex them an listen for any strange sounds..look at nock ends for cracks... a loose nock is a good sign one may be split...just want you to be safe and the little one too.. I know how much they like to watch dad shoot his bow (or bone as my 3year old G son says)

gravedigger
03-13-2011, 07:42 PM
i was trying to robinhood my arrow in the group i shot.when i aimd i was aiming for knock.usualy dont try to shoot that tight of a group.i like picking a point try to shoot it and then do the same with another point.when i pulled the arrows outof this group i did flex them on what i would say four sides of around shaft.

ElkSlayer
03-13-2011, 07:44 PM
yep thats what you need to do..:cool:

gravedigger
03-13-2011, 07:45 PM
thouse pics make me want to ware a leather glove and flex every arrow befor every shot.ouch....my daught is not allowd in the backyard when i shoot.she can see me through the big sliding glass door just fine..it scares the you know what out of me thinking of what could happen.

ElkSlayer
03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
pictures like that kept me from shooting carbon for a long time... wood will give you the same result out of a compound...

I still hunt with Alum..:cool:

gravedigger
03-13-2011, 08:17 PM
my good buddy does too.

elkslayer4x5
03-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Stumpkiller over at BHT says hes shot wood out of a compound, spined 20# heavier than the bow he shot them from. I'm not gonna try.:eek:

parttimr
03-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Those pics are also what kept me from shooting carbon for so long but had to try them anyway. Shot xx75's for a very long time.

alex
03-14-2011, 07:00 AM
When i was completely new to compounds i also shot some wooden arrows from a 55# bow. Nothing happened except for one arrow which has broken when hit the ground after missing the target. I wouldn't shoot a wooden shaft from a compound anymore, but i guess that if you can shoot a wooden arrow from a 120-150# longbow you can shoot it from a 55# compound too.

SonnyThomas
03-14-2011, 07:37 AM
I've seen a bunch of "bad shot" arrows. Usually the arrow is trashed well enough there is no doubt it is junk. Sometimes just the end of the shaft is damaged. Inspection of the arrow may prove that it can be cut off beyond the cracks and be suited for short draw people or kids to shoot.

After some 11 years of shooting carbon arrow I have yet to have one "blow" during the shot. Of all the reported carbon arrows blowing not one of them has been with a brand new never shot arrow. Which says the the blown arrow was damaged prior to it blowing.

Inspection of arrow should always follow after being pulled, where carbon or aluminum. Granted, the aluminum arrow probably won't blow, but they are sure are known to bend when hitting something and will crank or ding badly when hit by another arrow.

The pics shown, pretty nasty. BUT some of the youngster in here may not know how the safety start lever of the home lawn mower came into being.
Well, two ole boys were drinking a bit to think over how to trim the hedge around one the ole boy's house. Yep, they fired up the lawn mower and picked it up to walk it down the top of the hedge. Bet their fingers and hands looked nasty too.
In short, stupidity reigns supreme whether lawn mowers or arrows < Here, I'd say carelessness - and I am as much at fault as the next person.

ElkSlayer
03-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I've seen a bunch of "bad shot" arrows. Usually the arrow is trashed well enough there is no doubt it is junk. Sometimes just the end of the shaft is damaged. Inspection of the arrow may prove that it can be cut off beyond the cracks and be suited for short draw people or kids to shoot.

good point here ... SIL wreak havoc on some carbon's hitting solid things now they are 24" and G son shoots um ...lol ..but his 10lb bow is sort of tame ...lol