PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys with the hammer head strings!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-14-2011, 01:16 PM
How do you guys like the hammerhead strings? Reason I ask I am going to place an order for string material. And the hammerhead strings are made out of trophy. Which is basically 452x with a material called gore. That is the material most of the builders are using now. Plus 452x of course. So let me know how you like those strings.

Hutch:cool:

martinbowhunter
03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Hey hutch! My girlfriend's bow has hammerhead string's on it and i think those srings(from what i can tell) are awesome. She has no peep rotation problems no wear and she must have atleast a 1000 shots with it. Did the break in with a couple hundred shot's with the tube in peep then switched to the tubeless peep's and she hasn't had a bit of peep rotation problems with it. It sit's perfect when the bow is at rest and its stay's perfect during the draw and while at full draw still perfect. Can't say that about my older (09) martin bow string. And hutch, if your are gonna be ordering this material......I'll take a set please. P.m me the info i need so i can pay you already:)Don't wanna be at the end of the line.:)

gravedigger
03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
my buddy who just pickd up a exile has the hh string and after about 100 shots or so he is getting peep rotation.i my self have not had them so take it as you will

parttimr
03-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Only 100 shots but am having a bit of rotation myself.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Only 100 shots but am having a bit of rotation myself.

That is because the string wasn't stretched enough.

parttimr
03-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Figure I need another 100 then will take it back in and get it adjusted if necessary.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Figure I need another 100 then will take it back in and get it adjusted if necessary.

After it settles, all you have to do it twist the string a couple times and it shouldn't move again.

parttimr
03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I hope so because that's the only gripe I have. Grouping great but having to cock my head at times to see thru the peep is frustrating to sat the least. As you already know I really like this set up.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-14-2011, 04:06 PM
I hope so because that's the only gripe I have. Grouping great but having to cock my head at times to see thru the peep is frustrating to sat the least. As you already know I really like this set up.

When they are mass producing strings they are bound to have a few that didn't get stretched to 300 to 350 pounds long enough. Also Brad have you tried to turn your d loop to train your peep?

gibson 787
03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
No problems after many hundreds of shots, but I don't use a peep, so can't help ya there. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
No problems after many hundreds of shots, but I don't use a peep, so can't help ya there. :)

That's fine I am looking for any input on the material its self. How is it looking, and lasting etc. etc.

gibson 787
03-14-2011, 04:27 PM
That's fine I am looking for any input on the material its self. How is it looking, and lasting etc. etc.

Well put it this way Hutch, if you made your strings from the same materials, I'd still buy em! I like the way they look and they seem to be holding up very well.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Well put it this way Hutch, if you made your strings from the same materials, I'd still buy em! I like the way they look and they seem to be holding up very well.

That's what I am looking for, and I appreciate the responses.

gravedigger
03-14-2011, 05:15 PM
well hutch,if looks is what your looking for then i dont like the way they look.there glosy-waxi looking.too much shimmer and shine for me.i like a dullish-dimer kind of color.i do like my wc but i would have prefed a diferent color

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-14-2011, 05:20 PM
if your are gonna be ordering this material......I'll take a set please. P.m me the info i need so i can pay you already:)Don't wanna be at the end of the line.:)

I will get you all set mbh as soon as I get the jig done. Waiting on ups. Oh btw how did you make out with the tsunami water that headed your way.

gravedigger
03-14-2011, 05:27 PM
if hh make a duler color then im all in.it just seams to bright.i guess thats just me:confused:

bfisher
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM

Gee, jokingly I have to say "Thanks for nothing". No peep, indeed.

Hutch, the strings on my Nemisis are giving me some rotation. About 30 degrees counterclockwise from what I can see. Of course, it hasn't been shot much as I'm using the Z while waiting for all my new parts. There seems to be a holdup on that. I guess it might be that I ordered special limbs and also a set of Nitrous X mini-mods that may or may not be stuffed in the back of some storage bin. Joel went to do some digging for them. Haven't heard back from him. I do expect the parts any day now.

Ehunter
03-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Hutch, got well over 1000 shots on the HH strings, and not a bit of rotation. I keep them well waxed, and they still look like new. ATA is exactly what it was when it came out of the box. Gotta say, these are the best strings I've ever seen.

MLN1963
03-14-2011, 05:48 PM
What are HH strings?

bfisher
03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
What are HH strings?

HH stands for HammerHead strings. The new ones on 2011 bows.

gravedigger
03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
What are HH strings?

they are the new hammerhead strings martin is using

MLN1963
03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Got it. I was thinking one of the H stood for "Hutch" and was trying to figure out the other.

parttimr
03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Hutch haven't done anything with the loop just the observance of the serving below it in an earlier post of which you guys assured me not to worry. Don't know if it would make a difference to rotate it or not if possible. If that's what you are refering to then any suggestions are appreciated. PM me if need to. Thanks again.

MLN1963
03-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Since there are no old posts on the subject. What is a good string wax for the HammerHead strings? :cool:

gravedigger
03-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Since there are no old posts on the subject. What is a good string wax for the HammerHead strings? :cool:

i just bought black lightning.i will use it tonight for the fist time on my winnerschoice

bfisher
03-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I use the same tube of BCY ML6 that I've had for at least 5 years. At the rate I use it it looks like it's good for another 15 years. I do wax my strings when need be, but I don't overuse it. A good cleaning and waxing about 4 times a year is plenty. That's an average of every 2,000 shots or so.

MLN1963
03-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks Barry.

I see there are so many flavors of string wax so I know some must be better than others. I figured the ML6 would be safe since it was made for/by BCY.

bfisher
03-14-2011, 07:13 PM
There are several new ones out that might be better, but I haven't bought any for years. The ML-6 is what BCY recommended sevral years ago. They still do, but they've got another wax now. When I worked in a shop I also used White Lightning and Black Lightning (on black strings). Now there's Scorpion Venom and others, Seems like everybody wants a piece of the pie.

The one wax I don't like is TexTite. I think they may have changed it, but just a few years ago it was a hard wax. More like candle wax and it took a heap of burnishing to get it into the strings.

Heck, I've even used Ten Point crossbow wax. Some may scoff at the idea, but what makes people think those strings are any different? Just more strands, that's all.

I honestly think most people get carried away with waxing too much. Some wax after every shooting session. This is too much. It's not hard to just take a look or feel the string once in a while. If it looks or feels dry then it probably needs some, but don't cake it on. Rub it on and then rub it in vigorously using a piece of leather or even between the thumb and index finger. You just want to create enough heat to soften the wax some more so it penetrates the strands. The main danger of not waxing the strings is not that they will rub external things such as a bow case, brush, your arm, or whatever. The most damage is caused by the grit and grime that gets in between the strands and causes abrasion just from the strinds rubbing each other. That's why you don't need a lot, but what you get on needs to be rubbed in.

Another trick is after you are done burnishing you can take a length of dental floss and make a complete wrap around the string, pull it snug and pull it toward the end or center, depending on where you start. This removes most of the excess wax that does nothing but colloect some of that grit and grime. Once you do this then take that thumb/finger and rub it in a little more. Now you're done for another 3 months, or two thousand shots, whichever comes last.

gibson 787
03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Marriage is like a deck of cards....
In the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond
By the end you wish you had a club and a spade!!!

I know it's got nay to do with HH strings, but LOL nearly fell off the flamin chair!!....... that's very funny MLN. Not for the eyes of the sweet lil wife however. :D

mudpig
03-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Hutch, I've got the HH strings on my Silencer. Right out of the box it took about 100 shots to get it to settle down. Then when I was messing with the string and cables to get things dialed in to my liking, it only took a shot or two to get it to settle back down. There is NO WEAR on my strings around the TRG and I have close to 3000 shots thru mine now. I love the strings! and I think the green and black twist from Martin is pretty cool looking.

CarlosII
03-15-2011, 09:27 AM
do the HH come in other colors? that green and black just don't get it for me. i'm more of a red and black guy myself.

SonnyThomas
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
do the HH come in other colors? that green and black just don't get it for me. i'm more of a red and black guy myself.

Must be from Indiana.

Simple Life
03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I find they are.............wait I did not get my bow yet:(

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I find they are.............wait I did not get my bow yet:(

Would you like to tell the guys where you ordered your bow.:rolleyes:
Maybe they liked it better then what they sell!;)

cjchasman
03-15-2011, 02:47 PM
After it settles, all you have to do it twist the string a couple times and it shouldn't move again.

Hutch...could you expand on this a little? Are the 2010 Bengal dbl. Helix strings troublesome/ middle of the road / or a good string in your opinion?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Many colors, pink and purple if you lean that way.:rolleyes:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Hutch...could you expand on this a little? Are the 2010 Bengal dbl. Helix strings troublesome/ middle of the road / or a good string in your opinion?

What color string is on your bow?

Simple Life
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Would you like to tell the guys where you ordered your bow.:rolleyes:
Maybe they liked it better then what they sell!;)

:eek:Ha,that would be good for a laugh though

cjchasman
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
What color string is on your bow?

(Chartruese green)/black

martinbowhunter
03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I will get you all set mbh as soon as I get the jig done. Waiting on ups. Oh btw how did you make out with the tsunami water that headed your way.

I made out Good. lucky for me im 1,200 feet above sea level. Can't say the same for a few people onn the coast of our island's.

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
:eek:Ha,that would be good for a laugh though

i know what you got...but im not saying..........

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 03:25 PM
(Chartruese green)/black

Than it is a Hammerhead string. That is made out of BCY trophy not helix. It is a great material from what I hear on the street. The problem with a few of them here or there, is they were not stretched either long enough or enough pounds. So some are having peep rotation. Which once the peep settles after a few 100 shots. You need to twist the string to get the peep in the proper place.

cjchasman
03-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Than it is a Hammerhead string. That is made out of BCY trophy not helix. It is a great material from what I hear on the street. The problem with a few of them here or there, is they were not stretched either long enough or enough pounds. So some are having peep rotation. Which once the peep settles after a few 100 shots. You need to twist the string to get the peep in the proper place.

Hey thats' good news for me...Can you explain the twist, 1 or 2 twists? one end of the string or both ends? Sorry but I'm a little ignorant of the correct approach.:confused:
chasman

parttimr
03-15-2011, 03:37 PM
He beat me to the question Hutch so which is it old wise one, lol. Oh, and PM sent.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey thats' good news for me...Can you explain the twist, 1 or 2 twists? one end of the string or both ends? Sorry but I'm a little ignorant of the correct approach.:confused:
chasman

He beat me to the question Hutch so which is it old wise one, lol. Oh, and PM sent.

After you loosen your limb bolts the string will go limp. Go to the bottom cam and remove the string end. Make sure when you hold it to look and see the way it twists. Twist the string once or twice. Then reassemble. See if the peep is in the proper place at full draw. If not repeat again. But try a half twist if your peep is close to position or full if not. Remember don't put a ton of twists in the string. It will change nocking point and dl. If your peep is real close turn your d loop slightly. This will put you back in the game.

SonnyThomas
03-15-2011, 04:36 PM
i just bought black lightning.i will use it tonight for the fist time on my winnerschoice

Hope your strings are dark. If not they will be. Good wax though.

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Hope your strings are dark. If not they will be. Good wax though.

thats a big 10-4...i like dark dull color string.i waxd them up and it looks great and feels great:D

Simple Life
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
i know what you got...but im not saying..........

I bet you don't;)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-16-2011, 12:17 PM
I bet he don't either!

HUTCH:cool: