PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like Changes?

alex
03-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I'd just like to know do you guys like the changes that happen almost every day in the computer/internet world? Not only our forum, but all else - sites, forums, programmes, formats. What do you think?

Speedykills
03-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Yes change is good,without it where would we be in this place we call planet earth...:)

Money Man
03-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Change is good if you have warning that it is coming, and you have an ability to find old information after the change. If we all knew this change was coming, we would have probably made sure we got all of the information that was important to us before the forum changed. Hopefully the old info comes back soon.

RLW
03-15-2011, 04:59 AM
I really like many changes, but I'm also partly in with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd and, agree that if a change it coming some advanced notice would be appreciated.

Maybe you can call them "smoke breaks", but most work days the only break I get is a quick check in on places like the Martin Tech Forum or a dirt bike forum I go to.......or use to. My site visits there were greatly reduced because of a similar site changes and having to figure out where everything was again.......annoying

As for other changes in addition to these couple sites, I work with several programs. Small updates are one thing, but complete make overs and operation changes frustrate the hell out of me. Not only do I not have a lot of spare time to try and learn how things work again, but once I do figure it out, I end having to explain to some others I work with how it's now done.........productively goes right down the toilet and I'm spending 12hr day attempting to do 8hrs work (no OT pay for me).

In our company we're still working with Windows XP Pro because it works just fine. It's been a good stable functional system and programs we use run well on it. I dread the day (which is coming soon) when we change to Windows 7, the latest greatest MS Office and then learn some of our custom programs may no longer work, and/or require change.
Our IT guy is off-site, and typically has to do work here off hours. So in the meantime, I somehow ended up being the go to guy and/or coordinator with him until he can get to things (matter of fact, just had a call from one of our guys in the field on a tech problem).........Many (most?) that work for this company are a bit high-tech challenged and do not take change well at all. Hell, I've been here 11yrs and still can't a couple to just to simply reboot their PC first to see if that fixes issues before they start panicking. And that does fix 90+% of their issues.

This reminds me. I have to make home email/internet changes soon at home because of Qwest and MSN no longer playing together like they use too......Frustrating

(sorry for being so windy)

SonnyThomas
03-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Websites should not change when there is nothing wrong with the system. In other words, IF AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

Computers are upgraded daily, sometimes hourly, but that doesn't mean my computer operates differently for me. I have the same screens (same color, skin and scheme) and everything is where it was after the update/upgrade. Upgrades should improve things.

What we have on the Martin site is pure shoddy handling. No questions put to the users of wanted improvement. No notification to the users. Nothing was improved, things don't want to work, things lost and changes made some don't care for one bit.

There was a 14 year old kid in Chat on AT. Evidently the kid was a master mind when setting up websites. At the time he went through Proboards to set up his website. Beautiful site and monitored by him and his mother. Like most archery sites it took off and now sort of rides in limbo. He let the site die, so to speak. A year after he let it die it still functions like brand new and looks brand new. It just occupies cyberspace. Maybe we should get him to set up the Martin site.

Arrow Splitter
03-15-2011, 06:19 AM
In our company we're still working with Windows XP Pro because it works just fine. It's been a good stable functional system and programs we use run well on it.

I agree with you there. I'm still using Windows XP as well, and I'd take it over Widows Vista any day.:cool:

A.S

bfisher
03-15-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm with the rest of you guys. The old site was only in need of good spam filtering, IMO.

RLW
03-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Oh Windows Vista was terrible.
Microsoft will be stopping suport of XP Service Pack 3 mid 2014 (& stopped previous version support). Guess the good thing is the little I've played with Windows7 seems great, but just different and will take some adjustment time.

Arrow Splitter
03-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Oh Windows Vista was terrible.
Microsoft will be stopping suport of XP Service Pack 3 mid 2014 (& stopped previous version support). Guess the good thing is the little I've played with Windows7 seems great, but just different and will take some adjustment time.

Windows 7 is supposed to be better than Vista, and from what I've heard, it is. To run Vista well it needs way more memory than XP. Not to mention the "Are you sure you want to do this? Are you really sure?" That is, of course not actually what comes up, but it's ANNOYING! I found tips and programs online, and now you can actually open your antivirus software(and anything else) without Vista asking if you really want to open it.:cool: I can't remember everything I found, but with some modifications, Vista isn't horrible any more.
I'll still take my XP over Vista any day.:cool:

A.S

bfisher
03-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Arrow Splitter. I just sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Barry

mudpig
03-15-2011, 07:18 AM
My new computer at home has 7 on it plus the military just upgraded to 7. Much much improved system from Vista. Like already posted takes a little while to get used to but a much better operating system.

Arrow Splitter
03-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Arrow Splitter. I just sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Barry

Yes I did. I just sent you a reply.

A.S

bfisher
03-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Yes I did. I just sent you a reply.

A.S

OK, I got your reply. I needed to know whether it was working. I sent Alec a PM yesterday and never got a reply. He's one of the moderators and hasn't been around for quite some time. Thanks.

SonnyThomas
03-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Windows XP and Vista. I had Windows and thought it was quite outstanding, if not perfect. I now have Vista Home Premium and think it sucks. Like others, Vista is updated/upgraded almost daily and automatically. Still, as I already replied, the udates and upgrades do not effect how my computer looks or operates, just improves whatever within the computer guts.

Arrow Splitter
03-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Windows XP and Vista. I had Windows and thought it was quite outstanding, if not perfect. I now have Vista Home Premium and think it sucks. Like others, Vista is updated/upgraded almost daily and automatically. Still, as I already replied, the udates and upgrades do not effect how my computer looks or operates, just improves whatever within the computer guts.

Try this to disable the UAC (User Account Control)http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/19/turn-off-or-disable-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-vista/
This will allow you to access you antivirus software and anything else without Windows giving you a message asking for your permission.:cool: It's disabled on my parents' Vista, and they have not had any problems. Also, at the bottom of that link, you will see another link on how to turn off the red warning shield which will appear in your notification area on your taskbar after the UAC control is turned off.

A.S

joelc
03-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Websites should not change when there is nothing wrong with the system. In other words, IF AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

Sonny, there was plenty wrong with the old website...it was broken so it is now being fixed.

Montalaar
03-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Some changes cannot be done without changing major different parts. The old software Martin used for the board was released in 2003 or somewhere around back then. Forum software gets updated around monthly. Normally it should not even be a problem to get the old topics work in the new software, there are just some limitations, e.g. if a new file format is used and there is no way to convert things.

In general i like the ongoing change in the internet. I participated a lot in social networks before they became so normal and other things like that. I also have spend a lot of time at 4chan and similar networks and i still like to surf through those sites. You can see things evolve from there to the whole internet. You just need to have enough resistance regarding naked people and .. well.. you know. ;)

Summa: I like changes most times. At least if they make sense to me. A great example for change i did not like and not support is office. Since office2007 has been released i use OpenOffice (which is as good as MS Office.. or better..) as i HAAAAATTTEEEE the new design and workspace.

Rergarding Win7: You can configure W7 so that it looks like Vista/kind of Xp again without major problems. Took me 5 Minutes as i did not like the new task bar. Oh, and i have an older stationary PC with only 1 GB of RAM and Vista operated faster than on my older Laptop with 4 GB of RAM and everything newer and faster. Vista was supposed to NOT WORK with just 1GB of Ram. Well. lol.

Montalaar
03-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Sonny, there was plenty wrong with the old website...it was broken so it is now being fixed.

Hey Joel, nice to read from you. Zhanks for the update. :)

SonnyThomas
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Let's see;
1 - Can't get rid of Visitor messages, can't even delete what is said in Visitor messages. About like AT, I've got 40 Visitor messages, info deleted, but who and me showing reply is still there taking up space. And I can't get anyone to respond tell me how to delete what is there. Why would you want a visitor message stay when it's done answered? Why even have a Visitor center? PM isn't good enough?
2 - Didn't have trouble going anywhere in the old site and now can't access much at this point in time.
3 - Old site and pics, a breeze. New site pics, do this, click here, and click for this. Perhaps storing pics on site saves what?
4 - Quick Navigation bar. Just like the one on AT, next best thing to junk. I click on something I expect to go there, not have to go the list to click on the same thing I just clicked on. And still incomplete here.
5 - Profile. Use to be straight forward and easy to access, here and the old AT site. Not now.
6 - What else?

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
i thought the old site was great,it dident take a computer wiz to use it.this labtop i got is the first computer i have ever owned and the old site was great for me............and if this new one is being fixt then how about a e.t.a. on the old threads.........might just subside a bit of anger:rolleyes:

HawgEnvy
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I think it sucks. Very much irritated by it. TONS of usful info and links...gone into oblivion. Not to mention the green was much better. What about the green!!!? @ least I didn't have to re-do my sig. May have been "broke" in the eyes of the big shots,but everyone here seemed plenty happy w the way it was. Would be nice if the opinions of the actual users were taken into account.

HawgEnvy
03-15-2011, 11:44 AM
...and another thing. Since people are so hell-bent on "fixing" things, how bout making our opinions count. For instance: How-to,DIY,classifieds...ONION RECIPIES? Whos with me on it?

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 12:02 PM
im all in except for the onions:Dhttp://images.imagelinky.com/1300220193.jpg (http://images.imagelinky.com/1300220193.jpg)

Simple Life
03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
im all in except for the onions:Dhttp://images.imagelinky.com/1300220193.jpg (http://images.imagelinky.com/1300220193.jpg)

HA HA love it;)

bfisher
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Some of you guys need to lighten up and do some homework. Onions have been known to kill germs and bacteria, ward off viruses such as flu, and are suspected to prevent cancer and other human problems. Besides, contrary to common thought killing germs can make your breath sweeter. Now who would have thought..........

EAT AN ONION

Arrow Splitter
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Some of you guys need to lighten up and do some homework. Onions have been known to kill germs and bacteria, ward off viruses such as flu, and are suspected to prevent cancer and other human problems. Besides, contrary to common thought killing germs can make your breath sweeter. Now who would have thought..........

EAT AN ONION

OH YEAH!!! Onions Rule!:D:D

A.S

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
so does nyquil lol hahahahahahlmao:D...carrots help eye sight,peach pits fight cance so does mushroom tea,apple a day keeps the doctor away and onions are nasty nasty nasty..how about trying mens one-a-day

Simple Life
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Don't matter,it is still the same group of wierdo's:rolleyes: from the old forum and that what made it a great forum.Imagine they will get it sorted and will be back arguing and laughing.

Simple Life
03-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I stick with patatoes.:D

Skbengal
03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
We don't have a forum for hunting stories/photos anywhere?

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I stick with patatoes.:D

potatos rock

Simple Life
03-15-2011, 12:42 PM
OH YEAH!!! Onions Rule!:D:D

A.S

Don't you have some games to play,or homework ,or mow the lawn.......................:D

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
im all in for, extra onions:D I truely like Onions

Oh yes the mighty Onion prevails :cool:

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Don't you have some games to play,or homework ,or mow the lawn.......................:D

lmao...... :cool:

Simple Life
03-15-2011, 01:11 PM

This is a quote,so all you onions guys be careful and don't eat toooo many

"Use and Safety
Onions have a universal appeal. They are safely consumed by most people. However, consuming large quantities of onions can lead to stomach distress and gastrointestinal irritation that may result in nausea and diarrhea. There are no known interactions with drugs except that they can potentiate the action of anticoagulants"

I am looking out for ya's,don't want to see you stuck on the toilet all night,me and GD would be on the forum all alone;)

Montalaar
03-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Mmmh, i had wraps filled with Onion, Onion and saome sauce yesterday. Did i mention onion? Oh.. and cheese. And onion.

It was so darn great!

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 01:13 PM

lmao..thats great.i will give you that one

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Let's see @ 45 I can say it has never happend to me...but thanks for looking out for us...lmao:cool:

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
SL its just you and me against the onions of the world.it may be a losing battle but keep up the good fight

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 01:17 PM
lmao..thats great.i will give you that one and eat a onion

hey have to lighten the mood here ...every ones bummin on lost info...;)

Simple Life
03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
SL its just you and me against the onions of the world.it may be a losing battle but keep up the good fight

I with ya;)

HawgEnvy
03-15-2011, 02:01 PM
SL its just you and me against the onions of the world.it WILL be a losing battle but keep up the good fight

fixed it for ya! Fight hard, but ya'll are goin down!

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
fixed it for ya! Fight hard, but ya'll are goin down in the history books for beating all us onion eaters.we surender,were not worthy,non onion eaters winn

well thanks HAWG i knew you would be the first to admit defeat:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
For all those who don't like the new site. I think you guys are filling the front page up pretty fast. :p:rolleyes:

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 02:57 PM
well hutch got to make the best of a bad situation......might as well have fun with it.

martin hunter
03-15-2011, 03:10 PM
...and another thing. Since people are so hell-bent on "fixing" things, how bout making our opinions count. For instance: How-to,diy,classifieds...onion recipies? Whos with me on it?

agree !!!!!!!!!!!

It would be nice if we could just acess the old items that were on here.

Arrow Splitter
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM

I'm so sorry SL, but I don't have a lawn......

NuttyNative
03-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Another forum I'm on switched to this same one. I like the features after I got use to it. However, I can't stand the color choice. The old green one was easier on the eyes.

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm so sorry SL, but I don't have a lawn......

hmmmmmmmmmmm does someone work for coke....

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
any one up for some hoops @ AS yard... be a bit hard to dribble

Arrow Splitter
03-15-2011, 03:24 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm does someone work for coke....

My Dad does.

A.S

Arrow Splitter
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
any one up for some hoops @ AS yard... be a bit hard to dribble

You can just use snowballs.:cool:

alex
03-16-2011, 12:56 AM
:D I didn't expect that my thread will be so long ... and will include onion. So most of you like changes, but if are informed before. The problem is that you're almost never informed and sometimes you're forced to accept them. My recent examples are YouTube and Skype. I use them everyday and they have worked really great. Then the old Skype was blocked and i was forced to swap it with something extremely user un-friendly (not to mention that i'm sure that Big Brother is watching me now :p )
P.S. The only good thing is that the great people who used to come to this forum are still here.

bfisher
03-16-2011, 05:21 AM
:D I didn't expect that my thread will be so long ... and will include onion. So most of you like changes, but if are informed before. The problem is that you're almost never informed and sometimes you're forced to accept them. My recent examples are YouTube and Skype. I use them everyday and they have worked really great. Then the old Skype was blocked and i was forced to swap it with something extremely user un-friendly (not to mention that i'm sure that Big Brother is watching me now :p )
P.S. The only good thing is that the great people who used to come to this forum are still here.

That's part of what makes them great. It also seems that, despite all the griping this forum is beginning to fill up quickly, which means that people have too much time on their hands. And I'm as bad as any of them.

alex
03-16-2011, 06:18 AM
That's part of what makes them great. It also seems that, despite all the griping this forum is beginning to fill up quickly, which means that people have too much time on their hands. And I'm as bad as any of them.

:D The same here.

Simple Life
03-16-2011, 11:57 AM
:D P.S. The only good thing is that the great people who used to come to this forum are still here.

Can't believe the onion made it to this forum,wish that would have stayyed behind:rolleyes:Onions and bows ,who would have thought:)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Onions linger for a long time!:p

bfisher
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
When we're all dead and gone onions will still be around.

MLN1963
03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
When we're all dead and gone onions will still be around.

You mean I might not be pushing up daisies, I could be pushing up onions? At least the tasty part is in the ground with me! :cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-16-2011, 12:40 PM
pushing up onions no way I am pulling them down with me!

sergiogeek
01-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I think I like changes on the computer world. They are a lot of people always working to improve and make our life easier. I would say a couple of year ago I wouldn't be able to to half of the things that I do right now on my PC.

Geeks rule!
:cool:

elkslayer4x5
01-06-2012, 12:45 PM
9 month old thread...and still think that if it's not broke, it does'nt need fixing. My worst offender is Photobucket, seems like every time I visit, they've fixed some other unbroken feature, used to be able to upload groups of photos with a single click, try it now.

Ehunter
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM
AMEN ES4X5. I can see making advancements if it's something new and revolutionary, but don't just change crap around and tell me it's all new and improved. Windows 7 is a prime example. It does nothing XP didn't do for the average person, yet I had to buy a new printer because my old one wasn't compatible. Maybe I'm old and grumpy.......lol

Arrow Splitter
01-06-2012, 03:19 PM
AMEN ES4X5. I can see making advancements if it's something new and revolutionary, but don't just change crap around and tell me it's all new and improved. Windows 7 is a prime example. It does nothing XP didn't do for the average person, yet I had to buy a new printer because my old one wasn't compatible. Maybe I'm old and grumpy.......lolAnd now announcing Windows 8!:cool: Should be released this year.

gravedigger
01-06-2012, 03:27 PM
And now announcing Windows 8!:cool: Should be released this year.

REALLY.dang man i just found out about windows 7 feb of 2011,lol

Arrow Splitter
01-06-2012, 04:51 PM
REALLY.dang man i just found out about windows 7 feb of 2011,lolYou really should keep up with technology GD.LOL:D

Montalaar
01-06-2012, 10:11 PM
don't switch to 8 if you can hardly get used to 7. It will change mostly everything... no more windows on your screens any longer, just tabs...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Windows_8_Developer_Preview_Start_Screen.png

elkslayer4x5
01-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Lovely! I agree with Ehunter, maybe I'm old and grumpy......No, thats not it, I just like XP, heck did'nt think windows 95 was broken either. But what do I know? I still shoot 6 and 8 year old bows...Cause I like them!! :) Also getting close to pulling the string on a new recurve, and yep, pun was intended! :D

boobowbender
01-07-2012, 02:46 PM
i just got a touch screen phone (only because i crushed my military grade waterproof phone in my pocket) and i'm scared to take it anywhere. good thing my future wife has backup phones laying around. i don't know how people can carry around all these devices without smashing them or getting them wet etc. maybe i spend too much time actually doing stuff.