PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Time

cjchasman
03-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Does any one decrease the draw weight poundage of their bow for turkey hunting?
Do you have a bow set up dedicated to turkey hunting/smaller game only?
What broad head recommendations do you have for turkey hunting other than the guilloutine?

Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
chasman

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 02:48 PM
well this will be my 3rd year 1st that i plan on using my bow..
My game plan is to use the same set up I do on elk / deer. i see no reason to turn down set up thats shooting sweet... I may also take the recurve for a hunt or 3.. going to depend on ..
1 If I can shoot it out of my blind ( un know @ date)
2 If i can shoot it while seated with out to much movement...

If it has been a while and your bow ita tad to heavy on weight then buy all means turn it down so you can draw easy with out jurking it back
good luck to you Just remember to "Hit um High see um Die - Hit um Low see um GO"

CaptJJ
03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
The only change I make is the broadhead, been using Rocket Hammerheads which have a 2" cut because of the small vitals. I've had great results with them so for; don't care for the "decapitating" broadheads, mostly for cleaner pictures.

Speedykills
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
I use same setup that i deer hunt with,ill use a mechanical for sure,rage,grim reaper.Also keep the poundage the same 60#.

cjchasman
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Elkslayer...I felt the same way w/ my set up. Don't have any problem handling the draw now but the local expert recommended going light to prevent a pass through. He said an arrow in the vitals causes more damage, quicker than a pass through on an escaping bird??? I don't think I agree, I'm having a tough time figuring how to measure effect.

CaptJJ...thanks for the broadhead info. Thats' the size cut I was looking for. Its' a little bigger than what I use for deer. I'll get some to run some shooting sessions b4 I hunt.

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 03:10 PM
no can do...only mechanical i can use would be on a grey squirrel.

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 03:25 PM
no can do...only mechanical i can use would be on a grey squirrel.

we can use mechamical on squirrel?i was thinking that we could not

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 03:28 PM
yep ...have no idea why the even have them in shops / waly world i get.. oh well must have a lot of squirrel hunters....

You planing of geting out this spring GD?

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
out ware.going out your way or on a hunt?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 03:37 PM
I know where there is a lot of turkeys!!! Really! Just go over to AT and look at the Martin bashing thread.:rolleyes: Then let the arrows fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Hutch:cool:

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 03:50 PM
out ware.going out your way or on a hunt?

eather realy ... I was asking if your planing on turkey hunting...should be some up your way..

I know where there is a lot of turkeys!!! Really! Just go over to AT and look at the Martin bashing thread.:rolleyes: Then let the arrows fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Thats for sure...how bout you an the boy Hutch any thunder chickens around your parts. Or is it more a fall thing..Think AS said something ? i would go look but ?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Many in the yard and in the back yard ES.

HUTCH:cool:

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
eather realy ... I was asking if your planing on turkey hunting...should be some up your way..

Thats for sure...how bout you an the boy Hutch any thunder chickens around your parts. Or is it more a fall thing..Think AS said something ? i would go look but ?

i have never seen any turky out here,then again i have never lookd.with my wife as pregnet as she is...all hunting has to wait to after the baby is born in july.i cant even go fishing.

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 04:19 PM
GD thats a good reason, congrats on the up an comming birth :cool:

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 04:32 PM
GD thats a good reason, congrats on the up an comming birth :cool:

thanks much.this will make daughter #2..first i willow and the newest will be brook...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 04:40 PM
thanks much.this will make daughter #2..first i willow and the newest will be brook...

Start them young!
Congrats!

:cool:Hutch

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Start them young!
Congrats!

:cool:Hutch

thanks my daught is 2 and she loves fishing.i took her to hag lake and well she out fished the 4 people that were next to me on the bank.she has a little pink pole...next year she gets some sort of bow and a gas powerd 4wheeler....than that big white runner of mine will be her first rig.exocage..iner cage.5 poit harness..no way my little girl(s) getting hurt in a wreck..when i leave to go shoot she say by daddy,by daddys bow,by daddys arrows,by daddys release..she can point out the cam,string,limbs,riser,and limb bolts.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
thanks my daught is 2 and she loves fishing.i took her to hag lake and well she out fished the 4 people that were next to me on the bank.she has a little pink pole...next year she gets some sort of bow and a gas powerd 4wheeler....than that big white runner of mine will be her first rig.exocage..iner cage.5 poit harness..no way my little girl(s) getting hurt in a wreck..when i leave to go shoot she say by daddy,by daddys bow,by daddys arrows,by daddys release..she can point out the cam,string,limbs,riser,and limb bolts.

Doesn't get any better than that! I have 1 boy two girls and wouldn't trade them for nothing.

Ehunter
03-15-2011, 05:40 PM
I just have an old dog. lol No, that's not a pet name for my wife, I'm single. lol

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Doesn't get any better than that! I have 1 boy two girls and wouldn't trade them for nothing.

Oh but it does get better.... I have 2girls 1 boy ... girls grew up got married gave me grandkids. :cool:

oldest has step kids 3 girls 1 boy then they had another boy (yes 5 kids)

middle one married a marine an gave me 1 girl and 1 boy...;) so far.

Now I have my own archery school. and cant wait for the little ones to join in.
So in time you will trade your kids in....For Their's

gravedigger
03-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Oh but it does get better.... I have 2girls 1 boy ... girls grew up got married gave me grandkids. :cool:

oldest has step kids 3 girls 1 boy then they had another boy (yes 5 kids)

middle one married a marine an gave me 1 girl and 1 boy...;) so far.

Now I have my own archery school. and cant wait for the little ones to join in.
So in time you will trade your kids in....For Their's

well said.

rpalt1
03-15-2011, 07:01 PM
right on had my 9 yr old son with me this past weekend shooting and he wants a bow! Make it all worthwile:D

ElkSlayer
03-15-2011, 11:18 PM
well dad hook him up. lots of kids bows can be picked up on AT..
just start um light even if its a recurve..stay away from the plastic toys.. they just cause frustration in the youngsters..