PDA

View Full Version : Cam lean and limb twist help!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-16-2011, 11:53 AM
The cause of cam lean and limb twist is usually the cable guard or ccs or any thing that pulls the cables to the side.
To fix the lean you need to twist the opposite side of the lean on the yoke (the split in the cable) in the pic below it shows the cam leans to the right on top. I would need to twist the opposite side, the left to bring the limb down to even the cam. The cam bottom needs go to the right.
Measure the ATA on both sides. Choose the side that is closest to ATA. Twist the opposite side with a few twists and check the ATA on both sides again. Make the ATA equal. Then check for cam lean and twist the opposite cable on the split yoke. Then at full draw have some one measure the ATA on both sides. And repeat until lean is gone. Do not twist the cable from the bottom. It only shortens the ATA.
Hutch:cool:

rpalt1
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
thks hutch nice pic helps alot:)

Simple Life
03-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes,good explanation Hutch.

parttimr
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Yep, now it makes sense. Pics are worth a thousand words. You are the "wise one" Hutch, lol.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-17-2011, 12:43 AM
It is very confusing with only words, so that is why I did pics so everyone can keep referring back to them.

CaptJJ
03-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Good writeup but you are going to confuse people with the title, it's idler lean.;) Cam lean is the result of the cable guard pulling the string and cable but can't be fixed; idler lean can be adjusted by the yoke though.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Why does it bother you?

CaptJJ
03-17-2011, 02:55 PM
It doesn't bother me at all, I knew what you meant; but this is Martin's technical forum and there are probably some new bow owners that might not. No offense intended and no need to get defensive, I said good writeup.:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-17-2011, 03:16 PM
It doesn't bother me at all, I knew what you meant; but this is Martin's technical forum and there are probably some new bow owners that might not. No offense intended and no need to get defensive, I said good writeup.:D

Obviously it did bother you! You are the only one that replied trying to correct me. Unlike others that didn't say a word on my mistake. We are here to help one another not to look at each others mistakes. It is understood by those who have read it what I meant even the beginners. I am not a perfectionist, I just like to help the best way I can. A wrong word doesn't change the mechanics of my write up.

CaptJJ
03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
At least this thread will show up when someone searches for "idler" now.:D Wrong information doesn't help people, it's really not a big deal.:cool:

SonnyThomas
03-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Pictures and Hutch noting "confusion" pretty much covered things, I thought. And describing "this, that and more" of archery can be confusing and hard to word. I take it in stride and if in doubt I ask... I think...

Double cam system, single cam system, Dartons's CPS system, Hoyt's Cam & 1/2 (top cam is actual a oval wheel), Bowtech's binary cam system, Martin's slaved double cam system and then that danged Darton came up with the 2 & 1\2 cam system. ????
Where'd I mess up and how many I did I miss?

CaptJJ
03-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Of all those cam systems this thread only applies to the one with an idler, the single cam; I don't see your point in listing them.;)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Of all those cam systems this thread only applies to the one with an idler, the single cam; I don't see your point in listing them.;)
You have issues!

CaptJJ
03-17-2011, 05:10 PM
And I'm bothered but you aren't; let me just say I'm very comfortable with who I am and don't need to judge others. And corrrecting one word isn't judging, teachers do it all the time; it's part of the learning process and we all make errors at times. Ever heard of humility?:cool::D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-17-2011, 05:26 PM
And I'm bothered but you aren't; let me just say I'm very comfortable with who I am and don't need to judge others. And corrrecting one word isn't judging, teachers do it all the time; it's part of the learning process and we all make errors at times. Ever heard of humility?:cool::D

Why should I be humbled for an honest error? And who made you my teacher? Seems you have had the same conflicts with others on this forum. The people on this forum know me and my character. I am not the know it all. Just a people person who likes to help. I make mistakes and so don't you. But I did go correcting you! It a learning process as you said. This is the last post I will be posting since I hate wasting my time with foolishness.

rpalt1
03-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Post seemed pretty staight foward to me? Had no trouble finding the info I needed Thks Hutch:o

MLN1963
03-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I think good came from the two squabbling. I learned there is a difference between cam lean and Idler lean.

bfisher
03-17-2011, 07:14 PM
I think good came from the two squabbling. I learned there is a difference between cam lean and Idler lean.

True, in this case it's a single cam bow, but the same can happen with a true dual cam bow, too. And with Binary cams it's just like the bottom cam on a solo cam--you can't do much with them as there is no yoke to twist.

The best fix is to eliminate as much of the torque as possible; thus the adoption of a TRG, Flex rod, TiltTamer, and whatever the other makers are coming out with.

SonnyThomas
03-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Good writeup but you are going to confuse people with the title, it's idler lean.;) Cam lean is the result of the cable guard pulling the string and cable but can't be fixed; idler lean can be adjusted by the yoke though.

The yoke can used to correct both idler wheel and cam lean. The Scepter had what cam system? And cam lean was adjusted how? Martin Tech Forum aside, many of us had or have bows of other manufacture. And don't we grow through working with different bows?

bfisher
03-17-2011, 07:30 PM
The yoke can used to correct both idler wheel and cam lean. The Scepter had what cam system? And cam lean was adjusted how? Martin Tech Forum aside, many of us had or have bows of other manufacture. And don't we grow through working with different bows?

What are you referring to, Sonny? The X system? IMO opinion the best system to ever get mounted on a bow, at least to date. Especially the Nitrous X. Can you envision a Nitrous X cam with drawstops?

SonnyThomas
03-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes I was. Me can envision Nitrous cams on my Shadowcat.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes I was. Me can envision Nitrous cams on my Shadowcat.

Sonny wipe the bottom lip. I can see the drool on it!;)