PDA

View Full Version : New firecat 400 vibration help

bowhonky
03-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Hello all, new here and new to Martin bows, just bought the new firecat 400 and liking the bow much. Just had my dealer tune her and he suggested he could put some vibration stuff on it so I said go 4 it. My problem is it seems as if the bow is louder now and has more shock as well. WTH is up? He installed a set of bow jax between the strings and a set of simms dampeners on the inside of the limbs and finally a doughnut disk thing on the sos rod that runs into the riser. My question is, is the donut and maybe the string jax actually causing more vib? Cause the bow seemed better before!
Talk to me...Any suggestions please.
Thank's:confused
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/bowjunkie2010/601.jpg

Arrow Splitter
03-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes, I believe the string silencers are the cause of your problem. I would remove them and shoot the bow. You should find that the bow is quieter. If you have any other questions, we're all here to help. Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.:cool::cool:

A.S

bowhonky
03-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Thank's Why do you think they are causing it?
Yes, I believe the string silencers are the cause of your problem. I would remove them and shoot the bow. You should find that the bow is quieter. If you have any other questions, we're all here to help. Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum.:cool::cool:
A.S

Arrow Splitter
03-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Because of your combination of speed nocks and string silencers, there is a lot of weight on the string going forward during the shot, and when the string hits the string stop, it oscilates more than it did without the silencers, causing more noise.

A.S

Money Man
03-17-2011, 05:57 PM
How much shooting have you done with it? And since the dampening devices were added? Did you check to make sure all screws, bolts, clips, etc. are tight? What kind of sound are you hearing? Some people say those bow jax cause a buzzing type sound.

bowhonky
03-17-2011, 05:58 PM
The speed knocks, oh sure. Those jax are coming right off! Thank's again.
Because of your combination of speed nocks and string silencers, there is a lot of weight on the string going forward during the shot, and when the string hits the string stop, it oscilates more than it did without the silencers, causing more noise.

A.S

martinbowhunter
03-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Man that is a SWEET bow! Um, oh yeah....back to your problem, It's the whisker biscut:p. Sorry man i have no idea, but pm me if you wanna get rid of it;)

bowhonky
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
The sound seems to be a louder slap when the string hits the sos, most likley the added weight due to the jax.About 100 or so shots, and all is tight on the bow.
How much shooting have you done with it? And since the dampening devices were added? Did you check to make sure all screws, bolts, clips, etc. are tight? What kind of sound are you hearing? Some people say those bow jax cause a buzzing type sound.

martinbowhunter
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Oh yeah, do you happin to know what grain arrow your shootin? Did you happen to change your arrow's at any time?

bowhonky
03-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Actually the wisker b is a loaner from the shop, im waiting for a apache drop away!
Man that is a SWEET bow! Um, oh yeah....back to your problem, It's the whisker biscut:p. Sorry man i have no idea, but pm me if you wanna get rid of it;)

bowhonky
03-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes light stuff, im shootin the easton flatlines 400 spine and 7.4 or so gpi at 27in w/blazers and bows at 63lbs 27 draw
Oh yeah, do you happin to know what grain arrow your shootin?

Money Man
03-17-2011, 06:12 PM
The sound seems to be a louder slap when the string hits the sos

Try moving the position of the SOS to see how it affects the noise. Some guys say theirs work better with it just touching the string and others need it about a credit card width away.

bowhonky
03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
When I was shooting tonight that exact thought crossed my mind! the string is pretty tight right now, I WILL try it out 4 sure. thanxs
Try moving the position of the SOS to see how it affects the noise. Some guys say theirs work better with it just touching the string and others need it about a credit card width away.

martinbowhunter
03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Yes light stuff, im shootin the easton flatlines 400 spine and 7.4 or so gpi at 27in w/blazers and bows at 63lbs 27 draw

Sorry man, sent that post without finishing what i was going to ask. Ok so these arrows that your shooting, were they the arrow's you were shooting at the shop also? Just asking because alot of people shoot the arrow's that the shop has there when trying out a new bow, then when the get home and shoot there own arrows which most time's will be a different weight, they wonder why the bow feel's/shoot's different. sorry, just something alot of people over look.

bowhonky
03-17-2011, 06:24 PM
You got that right! The shop gave me some ''heavier'' easton axis arrows to shoot at the shop and they were heavier for sure, my flatlines are light, im looking to go heavier for KE for hunting next season.
Sorry man, sent that post without finishing what i was going to ask. Ok so these arrows that your shooting, were they the arrow's you were shooting at the shop also? Just asking because alot of people shoot the arrow's that the shop has there when trying out a new bow, then when the get home and shoot there own arrows which most time's will be a different weight, they wonder why the bow feel's/shoot's different. sorry, just something alot of people over look.

bfisher
03-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Here's something nobody mentioned. Cam sync. The cams may be out of sync with each other and this can cause a lot of vibration. When timed properly these parallel limbed bows exhibit very little noise or vibration. It doesn't take much.

I've never tried string silencers in my strings with an STS, but might have to just to see what goes. I can see the theory behind what the guys are saying but I kind of have my doubts. Still, it might be worth leaving the Jacks in the string and removing the SOS and compare. The you can tell us all about it so we know, too.

martinbowhunter
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Then i say leave everything on, move your sos away from the string about 1/16" and shoot it like that till you get your hunting arrow's Then go from there. i know my bow is a little more quiet with my string leaches in.

martinbowhunter
03-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Here's something nobody mentioned. Cam sync. The cams may be out of sync with each other and this can cause a lot of vibration. When timed properly these parallel limbed bows exhibit very little noise or vibration. It doesn't take much.

I've never tried string silencers in my strings with an STS, but might have to just to see what goes. I can see the theory behind what the guys are saying but I kind of have my doubts. Still, it might be worth leaving the Jacks in the string and removing the SOS and compare. The you can tell us all about it so we know, too.

Very good point Bfisher

archerx7
03-18-2011, 04:22 AM
You got that right! The shop gave me some ''heavier'' easton axis arrows to shoot at the shop and they were heavier for sure, my flatlines are light, im looking to go heavier for KE for hunting next season.

Right here is where you are getting the added vibration, the heavier arrows are absorbing more of the bows energy at the shot and leaving less energy stored in the bow that will turn into vibration.

Also as Bfisher suggested, have the shop recheck the cam timing, an out of tune bow will have more vibration and noise than a well tuned bow.

bowhonky
03-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Thanks for all the usefull help and info., I will get this bow tuned sweet no matter. I love the way it balences and holds, draw cycle is great, plus its fast and hot looking, a favorite. The deer n pigs are gonna be going on the table!

Jason419
03-22-2011, 11:01 PM
i have same bow shoots great i felt it was a little noisy so i put 4 monkey tails on it and that helped but still have a twang coming from string doesnt have any vibration so i ordered another sts to put on it to see if that helps

HawgEnvy
03-23-2011, 06:50 AM
I've notice that if the jax and leeches aren't tied in tightly, they definitely have a buzz. I've got an aftermarket sts(Norway ind)on my Cheetah w no other string silencers or speed nocks. It's pretty quiet. Just a solid thud. If you find that you need the string dampners,good ol' cat whiskers are the best.

some other silencing tips: fleece padding on the shelf/riser, rubber gasket between the sight/riser,rubber between the quiver mount/sight, rubber between the rest/riser, vibration reducing stabilizer(i use Vibracheck and Sims S-coil). Some bows need all of it,others don't. It a process of elimination type thing.

BTW,welcome to the forum. That's a very nice set-up you have. Well do our best to take care of you both.:cool: