PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Lube

MLN1963
03-18-2011, 05:41 AM
What brand of arrow lube is recommended? Are there any that don't stink? This stuff sure is expensive, are there any DIY home brews?

rpalt1
03-18-2011, 05:58 AM
plain old bar of soap ivory doesnt smell to bad:D

RLW
03-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Woody's Arrow Lube was best I've tried so far on 3D targets
but, yes is a little expensive

HawgEnvy
03-18-2011, 06:40 AM
I've never used arrow lube, but it seems that veggie oil or olive oil would work. Maybe PAM cooking spray? Ya know,the stuff sprayed in pans to keep the sauteed onions from sticking:cool:

MLN1963
03-18-2011, 06:48 AM
I suppose the stuff needs to be scent free too if you end up hunting with the same arrows.

RLW
03-18-2011, 07:16 AM
I suppose the stuff needs to be scent free too if you end up hunting with the same arrows.
I don't know as that would be a real issue, as it whips off after a few shoots and there are likely many other stronger scent, movement and set-up issues above that.

gstudt
03-18-2011, 07:20 AM
X2 for Woody's

Price a bit high but I have been using the same bottle for almost 2 full years.

RLW
03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
X2 for Woody's

Price a bit high but I have been using the same bottle for almost 2 full years.
I would still be on my same bottle, except I left the cap loose and it dripped out all over the inside of the fanny pack pocket I had it in......makes the hands a bit slick too after cleaning it up.

MLN1963
03-18-2011, 09:46 AM
I put some Woody's on order.

NuttyNative
03-18-2011, 09:48 AM
X4 on the Woody's. Altho silicone spray works very good too. Take the cap off the lube tube and spray away, put the cap back on the tube. Will last for a 40 target day easily.

ElkSlayer
03-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I've never used arrow lube, but it seems that veggie oil or olive oil would work. Maybe PAM cooking spray? Ya know,the stuff sprayed in pans to keep the sauteed onions from sticking:cool:

"STOP" dont do that...lol if you want to keep any of the 3D targets you have... Bear's like PAM they think that foam is way yummy with any thing like that on your targets.. Dont see why a Hog would be any differant..

Go to the DIY boards on AT do a search you will find aton of home brews..just choose wisely.....some auto porducts work well to..
also have pvc tube's to dispence the home brews.. good info on what to and not to use..

SonnyThomas
03-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Woody's, Scorpion Venom, and Carbon Express arrow lube are basically the same. Work great, just don't get it on something you want to hang onto to.
I carry at least one of them little motel bars of soap. Usually carry bag of them with me at shoots. The soap just plain works. I've given away 15 or 20 bars. Wife just picked up another 15 at some back yard sale. Whew! Sure didn't want to run out when we still have cool weather.

Ehunter
03-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Woddy's is the best I've tried. Plain old bar soap works fairly well. On my older full foam targets, I put used motor oil on the targets themselves. As the arrow goes through, it's self lubricating. Just wipe the arrows down with a rag and shampoo, then alcohol before using them for hunting.

MLN1963
03-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Just wipe the arrows down with a rag and shampoo, then alcohol before using them for hunting.

Is this when used with the Woody's or motor oil?

Ehunter
03-19-2011, 04:53 PM
With the motor oil. The Woody's doesn't leave much if any odor on the arrows after a day or so. The motor oil does. Not to mention, the oil will also attract all sorts of dirt, dust, and debris out in the woods.

RCHRED
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Take a 35mm film canister, cut an "X" in the lid just large enough for your arrow. Put 3 or 4 cotton balls in the canister. Pour enough vegitable oil in to soak the cotton balls. And you have a quick, cheap and easy lube and dispencer. I've used this for years with great success and no degradation of insert/point glues or arrow finishes.
Shootem straight

MLN1963
03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
What is in the Woody's arrow lube, gelled kerosene? It smells like nasty kerosene to me!

The arrows do pull easier with it. I was affraid penetration would be greater if the arrow is slipperier but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Spiker
03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
I use Arrow Snot. You can find it on at.
String Snot also has been working very well for me.

bfisher
03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I sure do feel for you guys. I used to use the old bar of Ivory soap when I shot in excess of 60#. Some arrows, like Line Jammers were real bear to pull from targets. If I shot with anybody using them I let them pull their own. I've already had one hernia operation and don't wish to repeat. I have enough other issues.

You ought to try pulling them from a McKenzie target when it's 24 degrees outside and
20 mph winds. Ouch!! By target #4 you can't feel the bow or the release anymore.

The last year or two I've been shooting around 42# and guys almost fight to have me in their group. There isn't an arrow made that's hard to pull when it only penetrates about 2". I do use an arrow puller though just for the better grip.

gravedigger
03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
aww just spit on it..lol.did i say that:p