PDA

View Full Version : What is the strangest thing you accidently shot with you bow?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-18-2011, 05:43 PM
What is the strangest thing you accidentally shot with you bow?
I will be first.
I drew back on my bow when suddenly it shot off (bad adjustment on release) When the arrow stopped it had hit a canning pot with a old electric frying pan in it.
It went through the canning pot, through the electric frying pan to the other side almost totally through the other side.

Hutch:cool:

cjchasman
03-18-2011, 06:35 PM
My Radio... I had an old boom box type (am/fm/cassette) in the basement. Didn't fair well against a pass through on an old target while practicing indoors one cold winter day.

Arrow Splitter
03-18-2011, 06:36 PM
What is the strangest thing you accidentally shot with you bow?
I will be first.
I drew back on my bow when suddenly it shot off (bad adjustment on release) When the arrow stopped it had hit a canning pot with a old electric frying pan in it.
It went through the canning pot, through the electric frying pan to the other side almost totally through the other side.

And he was still able to shoot the arrow after that.

A.S

rpalt1
03-18-2011, 06:41 PM
My dads lawnmower when i was 18 and at home. was practicing in backyard and shot went thru shed and hit the toro:eek:

Speedykills
03-18-2011, 06:49 PM
My bathroom door........................................:eek:

HawgEnvy
03-18-2011, 07:40 PM
my trailer tire. Just got my magnus 2 blades and was attempting to tune. They plane badly. Lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-19-2011, 12:58 AM
My bathroom door........................................:eek:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm sounds interesting!

Lung Buster
03-19-2011, 02:57 AM
Shot the stern on my dads 17' Boston whaler when I was 14. Until then I had always shot fingers but I had finally gotten a release I started to draw back and accidentally hit the trigger releasing the arrow it hit the top of the target ricochet about 30 yards and right into the stern of the boat. I forgot all about that great thread!

Simple Life
03-19-2011, 04:13 AM
I can tell you this,had an arrow blow though a target last year and hit my fish pond's metal drain and the arrow went 90 degrees deflection out behind my garage.So anybody new out there,be careful of who and what is around your targets.

alex
03-19-2011, 04:14 AM
A wooden ladder. It was a pain in the ... to get the arrow out of it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Anyone else have an oops?

Ehunter
03-19-2011, 04:42 PM
God, what a thread. lol I must confess to a canoe, and a truck door. Not at the same time though. lol

Arrow Splitter
03-19-2011, 04:46 PM
WOW, are you guys dangerous.:eek: I must say, besides shooting a rafter in the basement, I had an arrow tipped with a Muzzy go wild, completely miss the target while flying crazily, and hit the ground flipping end over end over end.:eek::eek: It was amazing to watch, to say the least.

A.S

cyclepath
03-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I hate to say this because it's so sad but I shot my friends cat. We were shooting a target in his yard when his cat comes tearing out from the back side of the shed and jumped at a butterfly right in front of the target as I shot. :(

MLN1963
03-19-2011, 06:23 PM
I hate to say this because it's so sad but I shot my friends cat. We were shooting a target in his yard when his cat comes tearing out from the back side of the shed and jumped at a butterfly right in front of the target as I shot. :(

Yes, that is tragic but hilarious at the same time. Not the cat's demise, but the situation. I mean, what are the chances?

minnie
03-19-2011, 08:19 PM
i was checking the angle of the arrow from the rest to the nock through the draw on my old rintec, in my garage. my friend held it at full draw but it crept forward and got away on him, a kids arrow slamming into the side of some metal storage shelves 5m away. sounded like an explosion in that small space. those desperado kids arrows can survive anything

bigbob29
03-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Was checking out draw length and had arrow at about 15 degrees from vertical [ yeah I know] when I touched it off. Police brought it to my door a few days later Seems it went through a neighbours patio roof half a block away. All good, as they thought it might be some kid just shooting at random, instead of some old geezer playing dumb.

martinbowhunter
03-20-2011, 12:43 AM
My smoke house............:mad:

Montalaar
03-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Shot through a fire door...

cjchasman
03-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Hutch,
I don't know why this popped into your mind but I'm glad it did. I re-read this thread and smile from beginning to end. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Come on guys there has to be more stories.

HUTCH:cool:

justin
03-20-2011, 03:00 PM
shot a barn door point blank, it deflected and the deer is still fine. my freind shot my chrono....and ive bounced one around in the basement. and while fishing i got a small bullhead on the backside of a carp once.

gravedigger
03-20-2011, 03:41 PM
well here is my big oops.pic says it all

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-20-2011, 03:43 PM
well here is my big oops.pic says it all
And did you gut it and skin it after.;)

gravedigger
03-20-2011, 03:45 PM
And did you gut it and skin it after.;)

as soon as im out of hospital i will jerky it up:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-20-2011, 03:48 PM
as soon as im out of hospital i will jerky it up:D
Hospital? hope your ok! I don't like the sounds of that!

Rottzilla
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
When I was about 15 maybe 16 I was practicing with my recurve and my fingers slipped.

Arrow went right through the neighbors garage wall shattered all their storm windows:o. It cost me an entire summers wages and allowance. I think it was like $600.00 in glass.:mad:

Will

gravedigger
03-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Hospital? hope your ok! I don't like the sounds of that!

i aquired a broke jaw saturday morning.i have to get it reconstructid on monday morning..till then hospital is my home with liqid pain killers.no food,just what i can get i with a straw.left side of my jaw is brokw and in the middel of the bottom two front teeth bown to my chin broke in half,,,all and all im doing great.

MLN1963
03-20-2011, 04:19 PM
i aquired a broke jaw saturday morning.i have to get it reconstructid on monday morning..till then hospital is my home with liqid pain killers.no food,just what i can get i with a straw.left side of my jaw is broke and in the middel of the bottom two front teeth bown to my chin broke in half,,,all and all im doing great.

One of the new clients not want to go down without a fight? :cool:

Seriously, how did you break your jaw?

rpalt1
03-20-2011, 04:25 PM
i aquired a broke jaw saturday morning.i have to get it reconstructid on monday morning..till then hospital is my home with liqid pain killers.no food,just what i can get i with a straw.left side of my jaw is brokw and in the middel of the bottom two front teeth bown to my chin broke in half,,,all and all im doing great.

Dang sorry to hear that. Get well soon;)

justin
03-20-2011, 06:16 PM
i shot the dirt under a 3d deer today....how embarassing!!! havent ranged any pin but my 20 pin though. my x is shooting freeking sweet though.... its a great moment watching your arrow flying dead nuts and tagging foam exactly where your holding your pin......lol now if i can just get my ranges down!!

Rottzilla
03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
i aquired a broke jaw saturday morning.i have to get it reconstructid on monday morning..till then hospital is my home with liqid pain killers.no food,just what i can get i with a straw.left side of my jaw is brokw and in the middel of the bottom two front teeth bown to my chin broke in half,,,all and all im doing great.Ouch

One of the new clients not want to go down without a fight? :cool: HAHAHA now what the new zombie 3D shoot would that be 4D then

Seriously, how did you break your jaw?

+1 How did oh I read AS Post. Please see my post there thanks

Will

coyotekiller82
03-21-2011, 05:18 AM
A couple summers ago I was practicing at my parents place in their yard. Set up my black hole at 60 yards and fired an arrow. It sailed towards the target hitting short, bounced once then slammed into the metal frame of my dads quad cart he uses in the garden. It was one heck of a BOOM when it hit...didn't dent the frame or even chip the paint...my arrow on the other hand wasn't doing to good...it virtually disintegrated. All I could find was the last 3" of arrow with the fletchings and the first 2" with the insert and field tip...OOPS!

DeepRiverBowman
03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Shooting a beaver probably doesn't sound all that strange, but the circumstances certainly were. At the time one of my archery club members held the record for the largest ground hog in the state. I was an avid ground hog hunter as were several of us in the club. Some members even put up tree stands to try for a big'un.

I was deer hunting and had seen a hole you could drop a basketball into a hundred yards or so before where I was now. As I walked a fire-lane through a pine ridge, I saw what must have been the new state record ground hog standing upright and facing away from me at 25 yards. The nearest body of water that might hold beaver was at least a half-mile away and beaver was the furthest thing from my mind.

Well, I pinwheeled him through the spine just below his head. He fell face down and the biggest flattest tail I ever saw popped up and fell over with him. That was the strangest "ground hog" I ever shot with a bow.

mike

Speedykills
03-22-2011, 04:05 AM

Ya i bought a new delta bag from basspro and brought it into the house,well i couldnt just let it sit there so i put it against a old box that was leaning on bathroom door,with that much room and new bag no way it could hit door..........................wrong first shot sounded like a shot gun when arrow hit bag.Blew right through into door,lucky it didnt hit shower,then id be in trouble.....Last time i ever shot in the house........:o

Forgot to mention it was raining outside......

elkslayer4x5
03-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Nothing really strange but did have few shots getaway without permission while learning to shoot a release, the strangest part was finding the wildest of them which went off at about 3/4 draw, off through redwoods, whacking it's way through about 40 trees until I heard it thunk into a tree. Found it a week later, nowhere near the direction it left it left the bow on.

Simple Life
03-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Just was thinking and last year shot the wife's jean's on the line:eek:Was trying to thread the arrow between the pant legs for something different and POP.Man when she put them on,knew exactly what the hole was:(I since have been moved this year beside the garage for all my shooting.WOMEN::pthey have no sense of HA hA

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-13-2012, 07:39 AM
ttt

jnordwell
05-13-2012, 09:04 AM
alright I tell...well last year was putting a loop on the wifes bow. drew back with a arrow to see if it would tightin up some. and pow the loop slipped and shot in the floor.Then was at the range shooting 60 yards and made a get shot in the center of the target ( soft spot in the carpet target) sounded good dull thump. went up to the target pulled arrow out and egg shells fell to the ground. moved back the target face and I killed a robin and a some eggs. the soft spot was hollowed out and she made a nest in it. funny stuff me and the 2 others thought it was funny. Then last week I was checking my draw in the bedroom on my shadowcat shooting fingers and started to let down and pow shot the wall into a stud. LOl still need to fix that one before the wife finds it. LOL

droppixel
05-13-2012, 09:22 AM
my garage

WildWilt15
05-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Well not me but a fellow family member i was shooting with in a 3d shoot missed the target and somehow made contact with a frog, i dont know the chances of that happening but that was one unlucky frog:confused:

wscywabbit
05-13-2012, 04:49 PM
When my brother in law first started getting me into archery, I shot his bow at a delta deer target, and pierced its ear... Last year I shot a grouse, the arrow went right over its back, bounced off the roadway and went into the wild blue. I finally found it about 20' up a tree. I had to get my climbing stand out to retrieve it!

And even though it wasn't an arrow, when I was about 6 I was shooting a sling shot in the yard, and decided to try and hit a robin... missed the robin and nailed my mom's glass galon jar of sun tea... needless to say she took the sling shot away lol!

Tosi
05-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I was paper tuning in my garage and the arrow went right though and old target though the wall into the electrical box, lights out.

bigredhunter00
05-13-2012, 07:50 PM

shooting outsided in or inside out?

Arrow Splitter
05-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Remind me to wear body armor if I am ever near you guys and gals when you're shooting.LOL

A.S

deerchser
05-13-2012, 09:37 PM
When my brother in law first started getting me into archery, I shot his bow at a delta deer target, and pierced its ear...

That was funny stuff.....

In your defence it might have helped if my draw wasnt 2"'s longer than your......:cool:

As for the topic, I got a pass through on my bag target a few weeks back and got the back wall of my garage through both lungs. Shhhhhh.....dont tell the wife

Not a bow but when I was about 6 my dad decided to let me shoot his 7mm Rem Mag at a coyote in a wheat field. I had the shock under my right arm, looking through the scope with my left eye and pulled the trigger. The round went through a T post that was about 3 feet infront of us (I was trying to follow the 'yote and dad didnt see the post), I missed the 'yote and my right cheek looked like my dad punched me.

Zforce
05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Went over to my neighbors to help him tune his bow. I drew his bow back and it went off and through his Snap-On tool box. I guess I showed him how to tune a bow. Also multiple holes through the garage wall. My wife asked me why I thought the siding was cracking. I played dumb!!

Cnight
05-14-2012, 09:30 AM
A while ago I was shooting my brothers recurve in our shop and I was shooting ok until 1 arrow decided to go high and pierced the door.:( It was a new door to.

Thermodude
05-14-2012, 03:36 PM
A few years ago I was shooting in my garage, I was adjusting the T-handle type of rest I was using and it didnt hold. I put one through the window of the garage door taking out the windsheild of my truck. Adding insult to injury I busted my lip open too when the release let go!....:rolleyes:

droppixel
05-14-2012, 03:46 PM
A few years ago I was shooting in my garage, I was adjusting the T-handle type of rest I was using and it didnt hold. I put one through the window of the garage door taking out the windsheild of my truck. Adding insult to injury I busted my lip open too when the release let go!....:rolleyes:

Sorry ... I just laughed.

Thermodude
05-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Sorry ... I just laughed.

...........:p

cmwr
05-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Well, Hutch, I can't think of anything too crazy that i have shot on accident other than my garage wall multiple times. Either from a miss, or bare shaft tuning, or a worn out target letting the arrows pass through too far.

Come to think of it there was one time.......I was at an indoor shoot about 13 years ago. It was in the wintertime and being held in an old armory. I went to draw back and my release broke into several pieces. I was about 1/3 the way back when it broke and I hit myself in the mouth giving myself a fat lip. I was not drawing level so the arrow flew up high and hit the wall of the armory and bounced around a few times. Of course all eyes were on me. We were picking up springs and broken pieces of release for several feet in front of me. I haven't raised my bow to draw since. Thats back in the 70 lb days.

Arrow Splitter
05-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I haven't raised my bow to draw since. That's exactly how I shot one of the rafters in the basement. I was shooting my dad's (the OP for those who don't know) bow which is left-handed (I'm a righty) and I drew with the arrow pointed up as well. OOPS!!!:eek: I no longer draw like that either.

A.S

cmwr
05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Anyone ever have a standard string loop give way while drawing? I had a few that I felt uncomfortable with. I now use a catfish loop but I know alot of people till use a standard loop.

WildWilt15
05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Anyone ever have a standard string loop give way while drawing? I had a few that I felt uncomfortable with. I now use a catfish loop but I know alot of people till use a standard loop.

Ive had this happen once, about halfway back and the loop gave out and i hit myself in the nose... a bloody nose and a long search for that arrow later... i burned the ends on the next loop i tied lol

boobowbender
05-16-2012, 09:41 AM
when i was young(like 10 or 12) i accidently shot one of our wild farm cats right behind the shoulder.:rolleyes:

dragonsfire311
05-27-2012, 01:53 AM
My daughter shot the pool (above ground soft side), I've hit my shed several times (target blow through)