PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Cut Your Arrows To Length?

MLN1963
03-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I'm going to order some full length pre fletched carbon arrows. Once I get the rest and the draw length dialed I'll cut them to length. I have several ideas on how to cut them but thought that I would ask how others do it. I prefer to learn from others mistakes instead of my own. :cool:

I could wait to have it all done and then order cut to length arrows but that would be too easy!

MLN1963
03-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I am thinking of wrapping the arrow in masking tape at the cut point and cutting with a Dremel. I'll probably make a couple of V-blocks to rotate the arrow in while I use the cut off wheel on a Dremel tool.

Sound okay?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I cut my own I use to cut them by hand with a air cutter. But I built an arrow saw out of an old bed rail and sewing machine motor.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-19-2011, 08:13 AM
MLN I forgot you will need to square up the ends after you cut them. This is so the inserts fit evenly and the broad heads will fly without a wobble. I made my own and installed on my arrow saw. Do a search on AT and they have my DIY ideas you can do at home.

Hutch:cool:

MLN1963
03-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Hutch

For squaring I am thinking of getting a Lumenock FAST arrow squaring tool. It's not too expensive and look pretty convenient.

http://www.southshorearcherysupply.com/images/FASTIII.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCG0Lcl3_84

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-19-2011, 09:20 AM
That is a good one. Simple and convenient. I like your choice and is not so pricey

alex
03-19-2011, 09:45 AM
I cut my arrows with a small hacksaw (and yes, i wrap the shaft with tape). I do it slowly and carefully and so far i haven't needed an extra squaring.

ElkSlayer
03-19-2011, 11:02 AM
I am thinking of wrapping the arrow in masking tape at the cut point and cutting with a Dremel. I'll probably make a couple of V-blocks to rotate the arrow in while I use the cut off wheel on a Dremel tool.

Sound okay?

yep thats how we do ours....

cjchasman
03-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Harbor Freight has a mini cut off saw w/ abrasive blades. Works good, looks like a power miter saw but small. Has a clamp table to keep arrow square. I pre measure and mark arrows then cut at mark. Not the highest quality but works good. Go slow through the cut. I believe they are on line www.HarborFreight.com. Unfortunately I think everything is made in China. It goes on sale now and then if you can wait.

martinbowhunter
03-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Hundred fifty bucks, shipping and tax included.

Ehunter
03-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I use an apple arrow saw. Used to use a Dremel, and it worked just fine. The arrow saw is faster, and a bit cleaner cut though.

MLN1963
03-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd love a real arrow saw but that is a lot of money for something I will only use a few times. I'm going to try it on the cheap first and if that doesn't work out I'll save my pennies.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I'd love a real arrow saw but that is a lot of money for something I will only use a few times. I'm going to try it on the cheap first and if that doesn't work out I'll save my pennies.

The one I built was only $8. to $10. dollars. It was mostly stuff I had around the house. I think this is cheap enough huh.:rolleyes:

MLN1963
03-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Yes it is but I don't weld or have mad fabrication skills like you. I'll give you $25 shipped TMD right now handy man! :cool:

Ray from Auburn
03-20-2011, 07:31 AM
used a Harbor Freight one myself. measured, taped the cut area, cut slow and steady, cleaned the cut and go to go. cut around 50 arrows first time with no problems. Cost $25? for saw versus $50 at local Gander Mtn.

MLN1963
03-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Is this the Harbor Freight saw you are talking about?

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_9357.jpg

NuttyNative
03-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I was thinking this one would work great. A simple support or pivot point at the rear of the shaft & your in business. $29.99
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/image_8832.jpg

cjchasman
03-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Is this the Harbor Freight saw you are talking about?

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_9357.jpg

Don't know if your asking me but...
Yup! that's exactly the one I use. You can upgrade to a better name brand cutting disc if you like but I have not had any problems w/ the generics. Remember ...go slow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-20-2011, 09:53 AM
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1445432
MLN Try this one. It looks well done.

MLN1963
03-20-2011, 10:21 AM
That does look pretty nice. Of course that would make one more thing I have to find room for. LOL

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-20-2011, 10:32 AM
That does look pretty nice. Of course that would make one more thing I have to find room for. LOL
I see your point there room is not easy to come by.

MLN1963
03-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah and some day I might need that room so I can have a Super Shooter!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah and some day I might need that room so I can have a Super Shooter!
That is a piece of cake. Try a 10' string jig. Lol

Ray from Auburn
03-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Don't know if your asking me but...
Yup! that's exactly the one I use. You can upgrade to a better name brand cutting disc if you like but I have not had any problems w/ the generics. Remember ...go slow.

that's the one I used also, only exception is mine's mainly orange.

CarlosII
03-21-2011, 03:20 AM
imho you should do what i do. i've got two friends who have arrow saws...i get new arrows i just go visit :D

those carbon arrows are too darn expensive for me to mess up on 'em. guess i'm just a chicken at heart...bak bak bak...

Ehunter
03-21-2011, 04:03 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but how important is it REALLY to have a perfectly square end? Regardless of whether it's an insert, outsert, or nock, It's going to fit inside, or over the arrow. Logic would say that even if it wasn't a perfectly square cut, the part in question (insert, nock, etc.) is only going to seat down until it makes contact with the shaft. The main point of contact is either inside, or outside the arrow, not on the very end of the arrow. I do square my arrows, but reading this thread made me do some thinking and questioning. lol

Spiker
03-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Untill you shoot it and/or hit the target, then all the force of the nock or insert is directed only to that one small point of contact on the angled end of your shaft...

NuttyNative
03-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but how important is it REALLY to have a perfectly square end? Regardless of whether it's an insert, outsert, or nock, It's going to fit inside, or over the arrow. Logic would say that even if it wasn't a perfectly square cut, the part in question (insert, nock, etc.) is only going to seat down until it makes contact with the shaft. The main point of contact is either inside, or outside the arrow, not on the very end of the arrow. I do square my arrows, but reading this thread made me do some thinking and questioning. lol

I was watching a show on the Outdoor Channel, Dead Down Wind with Tom Nelson. His tip was on this very thing. He had an arrow that consistantly flew high and right. He squared the nock end and it hit with the others.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I square all the ends on my arrows for this reason to keep perfect flight. Once you have shot an arrow, the impact can warp the insert if it is not resting on a square end of an arrow. I believe Spiker said the same. Those aluminum inserts don't take too much to bend.
If you haven't seen a broad head wobble then you are in for a treat if you don't square your arrow ends.

MLN1963
04-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I cut some arrows and they came out really nice. The best part is I had everything on hand and didn't have to buy or make anything.

I wrapped the arrows with masking tape at the cut. It probably wasn't needed but it was easier to see the cut mark on the tape than on a carbon arrow. I set up some machinest "V-Blocks" close to a solid stop (the side of my grill in this case) and has my wife spin the arrows as I chopped them with a cut-off wheel in my dremel tool.

Spinning the arrows in the v-blocks while cutting kept things pretty square. Then I used a Lumenock Fletched Arrow Squaring Tool to ensure the both ends were perfectly square. It was very easy all in all. Although it's not as fast as an arrow saw or chop saw it's just as effective.

HawgEnvy
04-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I use a regular old arrow saw. I've had no problems w out of square ends.

Ehunter
04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
I just bought one of the Lumenok FAST squaring tools. I have to say, it is a nice addition to my archery tools. I never realised just how far out of square an arrow could be coming off an arrow saw until I checked a couple arrows with this. The arrows I use have half-outserts, and I was warned to make sure the ends were perfectly square. Some of the arrows took as many as 50 turns on the squaring tool before they squared up. Now I know they are right. One of the best $39 I've spent in a while.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Many people say I they are good enough I don't need to square my arrows. They are wrong. I have put many of arrows through my super shooter and found that they aren't square and usually the fly different then the the ones that are more square. It only takes a few minutes to square both ends and your good to go.