PDA

View Full Version : First outdoor shooting for 2011

Arrow Splitter
03-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Here's a pic of my shots from about 30 yards. Didn't shoot any farther than that because I didn't want to hike through the snow.:p

A.S

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-22-2011, 05:13 PM
I didn't want to hike through the snow.:p

A.S
Wimp!!!!:p

Sons

Hutch:cool:

rpalt1
03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
nice whats that target made of?:confused:

MLN1963
03-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Interesting looking target.

Arrow Splitter
03-23-2011, 05:24 AM
Basically plastic signs(cut to size) and a wood frame. The facing is building wrap, and the target is stuffed with an EXTREME amount of plastic(shrink wrap and and any other plastic you have laying around). The rope handle is threaded through the holes that I drilled it the wood frame.
I also made one that has two sides to shoot at. I'll post pics of it later.

A.S

MLN1963
03-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Where do you scrounge up plastic signs and the stuffing from? Are you talking building wrap like Tyvek?

SonnyThomas
03-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Ain't shabby a bit. It's great to shoot outdoors. I have a new Pacific bale coming to replace my shot out bale. I did make up a wheel barrow of sorts to haul my target bale. I'll take a pic this afternoon. Basically, it's box with bicycle wheels and handle.

Arrow Splitter
03-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Where do you scrounge up plastic signs and the stuffing from? Are you talking building wrap like Tyvek?

My Dad works for CocaCola, so that's where the signs and shrink wrap comes from(grocery stores just get rid of the shrink wrap). The building wrap is pretty much the same as Tyvek. You can also use tarp or burlap for the facing, and just about any type of plastic should be fine for stuffing(pellet fuel bags, grocery bags, etc.).

A.S

MLN1963
03-23-2011, 09:46 AM
My Dad works for CocaCola, so that's where the signs and shrink wrap comes from(grocery stores just get rid of the shrink wrap). The building wrap is pretty much the same as Tyvek. You can also use tarp or burlap for the facing, and just about any type of plastic should be fine for stuffing(pellet fuel bags, grocery bags, etc.).

A.S

Here I thought he was a full time string building Super Shooting fool!

There seems to be no end to the supply of Walmart bags blowing around on windy days!

Is this type of target broadhead safe?

bfisher
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Your local department stores, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mt. and lots of others use a lot of this shrink wrap to bundle things together for shipment. Go ask them if you can rummage around in their dumpsters.

I don't think I'd use it for broadhead targets. It could get awful ugly trying to pull them back through. Better off to use some kind of solid foam for that. Even the layered foam like Block targets won't handle a lot of broadhead practice. It just slices them up. Besides, you shouldn't have to do a whole lot of practice with blades anyway. Enough to get them flying right and sight in. Other than that they can be put away and use field tip that are design for practice.

Arrow Splitter
03-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Your local department stores, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mt. and lots of others use a lot of this shrink wrap to bundle things together for shipment. Go ask them if you can rummage around in their dumpsters.

I don't think I'd use it for broadhead targets. It could get awful ugly trying to pull them back through. Better off to use some kind of solid foam for that. Even the layered foam like Block targets won't handle a lot of broadhead practice. It just slices them up. Besides, you shouldn't have to do a whole lot of practice with blades anyway. Enough to get them flying right and sight in. Other than that they can be put away and use field tip that are design for practice.

X2 Exactly.:cool:

A.S

Money Man
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
If you have a garden center around, all the pallets of peat moss, fertilizer and such are shipped and wrapped in shrink wrap, and then all of those items come in plastic bags too. Maybe a landscaper, or hardware store even may have tons of this stuff.
As for broad heads, I bought that cheap $20 foam block at Dick's, originally thinking it would be ok for field points (big mistake). I did find that when I attempted to shoot broadheads at it, they stopped good and were pretty easy to remove. I guess that $20 block was good for something. Just have to be careful on a windy day as they do not weigh much.