PDA

View Full Version : What is the closest you have come to a deer?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-23-2011, 05:01 PM
What is the closest you have come to a deer?
I walked into the woods and stopped and loaded my gun. I felt as if something was watching me. I turned to my right, and was looking right at the butt end of a buck, who was looking over his shoulder right at me. He was 2 feet away in between the trees. If I had thought I could have gave him a gun powder enema.

Hutchhttp://www.broadheadtalk.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

spekwa66
03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
I was sitting on the ground with my dad when I was about 8. We were sitting in the corner of a woods where a fence row ran into the woods. We had a buck walk down the fence row on the opposite side that we could see. He got about 5 yards and jumped the fence to our side. Needless to say, we were pinned down. He stared at us for probably 10 seconds before waving the white flag and bolting.

HawgEnvy
03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
a spot n stalk in a 5 acre woodlot bordering a cornfield. Kicked up a doe that ran to the far edge of the woods and cut back in. I figured she bolted off the property across the corn,so I continued slowly stalking. I made it bout 35yds when I heard a crash and saw her coming out of a brush pile 70-ish yds away. As she was feeding closer,i was stalking closer. She got within 40yds and I estimated(wrong)@ 35 and shot just under her chest. I figured it had something to do w my quiver still being on(shot and tuned w it off). I removed the quiver and nocked another arrow(leaving quiver hangin on a limb)since she just startled and trotted about 10yds and started feeding again. I continued to stalk and got within 15yds before losing sight of her in the overgrowth between the woods n corn. I stepped from behind a tree and saw her bedded in the grass. She caught movement and stood watching and finally walked back into the woods slightly uphill from me 35-ish yds away. I shot and and shaved some hair off her back.:mad: she bounded towards me and stopped less than 10 FT away,licking her freshly shaved hide. I could see the whites of her eyes,the wet on her nose and the hairs she was trying to get outta her mouth,as I stood tightly against the tree with by bow in front of my face...and my quiver w 2 more arrows hanging in a tree 60+yds away. :mad:

lessons learned: 1) practice more yardage estmating skills 2)dont swith bows/setup mid season,3)pratice,shoot,tune w quiver on and off. She was about a 2 1/2 yr old doe,but I learned alot that day. It's what I love about hunting. It was an emotional rollercoaser and a day I will never forget though I came home empty handed.

gravedigger
03-23-2011, 05:54 PM
no long story here.i was at work and a fawn walked within petting distance.at another cemetery i was mowing at same thing except mama was right there too.and in jewl oregon there is a safe spot for animals not tame ones and sometimes they walk right up to a guy.you can feel there breath.

Money Man
03-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I didn't have an opportunity to measure, but 2 years ago while gun hunting, I was sitting on the ground against a tree. I hear a noise behind me to my left, I turn and see a doe running from a 9 pointer. She was running up the hill right towards me, but I focused on the buck, and I remember thinking that she was so close, I actually pulled my feet back thinking she would step on me. My movement made her stop, which made him stop about 25 yards from me, and my new .308 had no trouble figuring out how to do damage at 25 yards. One shot, he went down, she stared at me and I look back down the hill and see a little fork horn about 30 yards away trying to figure out what just happened.

SonnyThomas
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Does touching count? I've close plenty of times. Had does and fawns between the tree and the ladder and reach up and smell my feet. Got charged once. I was looking at the deer in the field and carefully walking the brushed fence line. When I got to the gate opening, wham! A buck charged, just missing me. He kept going. Good thing as I was just plain stunned. Early one squirrel season I had a pair of young bucks browsing on acorns. Just for kicks I wanted to see just how close I could get. Using trees, brush and saplings and one slow step at a time I got within arms reach and just grazed my finger tips on it's hip. I drew back and held and they just kept going.

Worst case; Neighbor wanted to shotgun hunt and he's one of those who has to be in the stand 2 hours before day light. So he went to my south stand and I went to the north end. When I got within 20 feet of my ladder I shut off the flashlight and walked around the corner to the path. I reached for the ladder and all H___ broke loose. I stepped on a deer bedded down at the bottom of my ladder. Yep, I scared...and I made it to the seat of my deer stand in one leap. I sat there and cussed my neighbor all morning.

martinbowhunter
03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Pssssst! Hutch, we don't have deer here on the Big Island of Hawaii......:mad: We do have axis deer on a couple of the other islands though. Just never got a chance to do any kinda deer hunting.

HawgEnvy
03-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Pssssst! Hutch, we don't have deer here on the Big Island of Hawaii......:mad: We do have axis deer on a couple of the other islands thought. Just never got a chance to do any kinda deer hunting.

you don't know what your missing. There's nothing like hunting a whitetail dear in a stand of oaks during the rut. Or seeing the buck of your dreams appear out of nowhere and be gone just as quick leaving you breathless and you jaw resting on your treestand. The big bruisers that bust outta the cornfields doggin does...i wish October would get here.

martinbowhunter
03-23-2011, 10:41 PM
you don't know what your missing. There's nothing like hunting a whitetail dear in a stand of oaks during the rut. Or seeing the buck of your dreams appear out of nowhere and be gone just as quick leaving you breathless and you jaw resting on your treestand. The big bruisers that bust outta the cornfields doggin does...i wish October would get here.

You just had to go there huh? Care to rub it in more?:p So when you watch that buck of a lifetime walk away, is it kinda like watching a big fat juicy piece of onion fall to the floor? Lol. You know, you get that long noooooooooooooooooooooooo and then wanna cry right after. lol

Arrow Splitter
03-24-2011, 05:15 AM
And there's nothing like venison.:cool: Ha Ha I just had to!:p

SonnyThomas
03-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Axis deer and roasted pineapple. Now that sounds just yummy :D

RLW
03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Lets see.......Almost stepped on a mule deer 2x2 buck laying in the sagebrush thinking he was hid from us hunters, and backed up and shot him with my .308 at 3yds.

Bowhunting one year I stopped on a timbered hillside and notice out of the corner of my eye, a huge buck bedded in heavy cover not 10-15ft away. Got an arrow nocked and tried to VERY slowly turn and draw, but as soon as he knew he was spotted, he blew out and was gone!
FYI: old mulie bucks have nerves of steel and many times will stay bedded in tight heavy cover right under your nose, letting you walk right on by if they have an escape route and haven't been spotted.........dang tough to hunt the big boys

Been very close to several over years, including one doe that nearly stepped on my outstretched foot as I laid still at base of tree with camera (have that picture someplace), and another small 2x2 buck has bruised my ribs trying to rub velvet, but that last one was cheating (& 40yrs ago). He had been found by the land owner caught in barb wire. They cared for him and he sort of stuck around becoming about as tame as a wild animal can.

One last event that was really funny and maybe stupid in hind sight.
Probably been 25-30yrs ago now, was out hunting mountain sagebrush country and spotted a few deer bed in heavy brush. They weren't legal size deer in that area, but figured I see how close I could get. Near crawling I painfully eased up in brush over next hour and lost track of where they were. My hunting buddy was back on the other hill side trying to signal me they were right there. A couple does stood moved off a few yards and looked back as if they knew something was wrong. It was then I spotted a young button buck looking at them only a few feet away......picked up a short stick laying there, reached thru an openning in sagebrush and touched him.
WOW......it was like the hillside exploded. With all the dirt, rocks, and pieces of brush flying around, and kicking hooves, I'm not sure who got scared worse, me or the deer.
Not something I recommend doing.

alex
03-24-2011, 07:33 AM

I've had some closer encounters sooner, but have no photos :D Back in 1984 even the deer were bigger ;)

polaris754
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
well i havent had the times like alex and sonny but i can tell u i walked behind a deer at about 10 feet fer about 50 yds man what a day , it didnt see me smell me or have a clue ,what a day fer sure , :cool:

NuttyNative
03-24-2011, 02:35 PM
My mom use to be the Dr. Doolittle of town. We had a whitetail, mule deer, and a yearling moose. A few Canadian Geese and a Chicken Hawk. The whitetail only hung around one summer. Bobby, the mule deer stayed for three years and left as a 4 point. I don't have any pics but mom has a ton. The moose was with us for a week before being taken to a university in Seattle. It was blind and wouldn't stay off the highway. Sadly, it died a few weeks later. It had a parasite in it's brain, we were told that's where the blindness came from.

Spiker
03-24-2011, 04:19 PM
I had a mulie doe lick a granola bar I was holding. That was just out on public land hunting for deer.
And this is an elk calf that we stumbled across last June when we were hiking thru the woods.
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2240&d=1301001382

Ehunter
03-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Walking out of the creek bottom one day, I saw a little 6 pointer in the path about 25 yards ahead of me, grazing. Grabbed a grunt call, and grunted very softly. Had my grunt call in one hand, my bow in the other. The buck walked right up to me, stuck his nose about 2 inches from my elbow, and sniffed. Was wearing a new Scent Lok suit, and it never figured out what I was. He walked away about 10 yards, I grunted again, and he came back within 2 feet. Eventually, he just walked off, and hopped the fence. He never figured out what I was, and that sold me on the scent lok suits.

elkslayer4x5
03-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Closest was the fawn I tried to help that was caught in some sheep fencing. Poor little spotted dude, his head thru stuck into the fencing. Threw my jacket over him while I worked his head free, then had to pull him backwards to free his front legs, grabed his left rear leg and pulled hin free, just barely had time to duck as he as he fired a mule kick in gratitude...:D
Next closest, was sitting on deck steps, stripping an arrow prior to a refletch, looked up to lock eyes with a doe who was intent on the banana peel I had just finished and tossed into the bucket of compost, about 3 feet...:)

EnglishKev
03-25-2011, 02:33 PM
If you only count the live wild ones, about two feet.
Lying on top of a bank on a field edge in a ghillie suit waiting for a Roe buck to come out of the woods (rifle hunt btw).
A Roe doe came walking down the boundry, stopped right by me, eye contact was held for several seconds till she figured I was no threat and she walked on.
Way cool experience.

Kev

NuttyNative
03-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Don't know if anyone here has seen this yet, pretty cool.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/th_MichaelBoydprofilephpid1139889694.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/?action=view&current=MichaelBoydprofilephpid1139889694.mp4)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't know if anyone here has seen this yet, pretty cool.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/th_MichaelBoydprofilephpid1139889694.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/?action=view&current=MichaelBoydprofilephpid1139889694.mp4)

Yep cool wasn't it!

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Yep cool wasn't it!

i would be scared out of my mind.thats not a verry kind harted animal,ther down right killers,but yes way too cool

rpalt1
03-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Thats awesome, I agree GD i would have wet myself:p

MLN1963
03-25-2011, 07:21 PM
What am I missing in the picture, it's blurry. Dark area a black bear?

gravedigger
03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
What am I missing in the picture, it's blurry. Dark area a black bear?

lol,buddy you have to click on it..its a video..:)

MLN1963
03-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I thought it was going to eat his broadhead! LOL

Are moose mean?

gravedigger
03-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Are moose mean?

mean,evil,crazy killers and thats no joke.

Simple Life
03-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Are moose mean?

Yes,espically in mating season,we had one last year charge the tuck at night,crazy buggers we they are in love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHu8KNRZ0bg

Spiker
03-30-2011, 04:28 PM
This video is pretty 'peta'fied but I thought those of you that dont know about Estes Park might get a kick out of seeing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=794wEIbHlDc

I lived in Grand Lake, which is on the other (better) side of Rocky Mountain National Park
for 10+ years and having the Elk in town is the norm in the winter.

cjchasman
05-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Bringing back an oldie but goodie with this thread. But I had a once in a lifetime today. An Albino fawn in the High grass area where I work. First cutting of the year due to all the darn rain. First pass on the tractor and what a surprise... I was within arms reach after we shut down the tractor. The fawn took off after about 20 mins.In pic she is curled and facing you..eyes are to left, rear is to right.

gravedigger
05-24-2011, 03:03 PM
that is too cool.

Turkeyflacx2
05-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Not a deer but I got within 5 feet of a barren ground caribou up in Alaska that I stalked. I thought it was a wounded one my brother had shot. I didnt realize it wasnt untill I was at full draw looking down on him from 5 ft! I only had a head shot so couldnt shoot. He bolted away and turned at 35 yards to see what it was that bumped him and thats when I let him have it. Pass though with a Rocket Steelhead. He had the last laugh though by swimming accoss a river and dieing. Had to paddle a zodiac accross to get him.

Scott
05-26-2011, 04:48 PM
so close I could hug it. http://www.deerfarm.com/

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-26-2011, 04:57 PM
so close I could hug it. http://www.deerfarm.com/
Wow Scott your a cute little girl! :p LOL

dragonsfire311
05-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Holy ^%&$:eek: I thought the moose was going to eat his arrow. can't say i've ever had anything that close.

Scott
05-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Wow Scott your a cute little girl! :p LOL

ha, that have a lama there as well. The sucker will spit on you if your not watching. That place is 30 minutes outside of Flagataff AZ, off I40. Az is a good looking state, once you get out of the HELL HOLE called Phoenix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Kn8MmVqyU

wscywabbit
05-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Wallowa, OR is a little resort town in eastern oregon, up in the blue mountains. There are some deer that live around town, and I had an ANCIENT old buck atypical w/ a drop tine, eat out of my hand.

In the wild, though I was sitting on stand when I was about 14, tending a little fire and watching a meadow in front of me. While I was sitting there dreaming of the big bull elk I was waiting for, I heard a snap and turned my head to come face to face with a cow elk. Literally. She came up behind me and stuck her head through the bushes. I could have reached out and touched her. She snorted real loud, and took off like a bat outa hell! Scared us both I think.

Then a few years ago, on a family camp out with some good friends we set up camp and a couple deer came in to the edge of camp to see who the new neighbors were:
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/wscywabbit/family%20stuff/0807250073.jpg

The little buck wouldn't come that close though, only about 15 yds:
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/wscywabbit/family%20stuff/0807250076.jpg