PDA

View Full Version : loud bow solutions

leeindy
03-24-2011, 10:16 AM
i was at the range yesterday and a guy remarked that it sounded like a 300 going off. i have string silencers but i guess it still is kinda loud

gravedigger
03-24-2011, 10:48 AM
well first off was this guy a "other bow shooter" and just giving you a hard time because of your martin.i have had people do the same to me just trying to mess with me head.but how is your cam timing,are your silencers tied in good,if not go get some cat wiskers,all i have is cat wiskers and sts and im quiet.check all bolts make sure ther ther nice and tight,wax your string,and make sure your string isnot bouncing off you sleave when you release it makes a nict thump sound

mudpig
03-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Im sure others will chime in soon, but make sure all your bolts are tight so that nothing is rattling around and make sure your cam timing is spot on. That can make things loud. Try adjusting your string supression system and see if it quiets down.

bfisher
03-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Don't listen to somebody that makes a comment like that. If he wants to be helpful he should help you traack down the source of the noise. Now let's get to it. Just what bow is it and how is it set up. List all accessories, arrows and all the details. Many times it not so much the bow but the accessories so we need it all. Bow weight, draw length. Everything.

leeindy
03-24-2011, 01:36 PM
hes a good friend and hes right it is kinda loud. how do i know if my cam timing is on or not?

leeindy
03-24-2011, 01:36 PM
o yeah its a fire cat 400

MLN1963
03-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Don't listen to somebody that makes a comment like that. If he wants to be helpful he should help you traack down the source of the noise. Now let's get to it. Just what bow is it and how is it set up. List all accessories, arrows and all the details. Many times it not so much the bow but the accessories so we need it all. Bow weight, draw length. Everything.

o yeah its a fire cat 400

You didn't help Barry out any. More info is needed.

gravedigger
03-24-2011, 04:02 PM
like barry said info,info,info...and pics of cams full bow and al you have on your bow.

bfisher
03-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Ha Ha, would you look at this. Two guys sitting around like vultures waiting for you to post more so they can jump in. Welcome fellows. Take over for the night. I gotta get up at 5:00 so I'm going to bed.

I'll just sign off with the idea that it's cam timing or light arrows.

leeindy
03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
not light arrows i shot 340 st epics at 29 inches. ill break my bow out in the am and take some shots of the cams. full draw? or at rest?

Arrow Splitter
03-25-2011, 04:22 AM
not light arrows i shot 340 st epics at 29 inches. ill break my bow out in the am and take some shots of the cams. full draw? or at rest?

At rest.

A.S

bfisher
03-25-2011, 06:44 AM

It is am now. Pictures? Full draw or at rest? Both if you can get somebody to take them. Especially of interest would be the position of the cams and how the string is hitting the flat part of the cams to see if they are in sync with each other.

leeindy
03-25-2011, 04:19 PM
damn busy day at work. ill grab the bow right now

leeindy
03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
i also found today that one of my draw modules was loose and causing a racket. locktited them in this time shouldnt happen again. i also threw some string silencers in my cables and it seems to be a bit quieter. im gonna blame it on the draw module. ive got the pictures uploading to double check my cam timing.

leeindy
03-25-2011, 04:40 PM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/leeindy/bows/bow1.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/leeindy/bows/bow3.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/leeindy/bows/bow2.jpg

my 30 yard group this afternoon
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/leeindy/bows/bow4.jpg

cjchasman
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Have you tried shooting w/ the quiver assembly removed? Nice arrow group by the way.

leeindy
03-25-2011, 06:05 PM
yeah i actually just put it on. im going pig hunting in texas next week. i usually have it off for leagues

Simple Life
03-25-2011, 09:24 PM
You should try Cat Whiskers instead of string leeches,seem to do a better job.

MLN1963
03-25-2011, 09:39 PM

But they look so bad. It's like putting a donut spare tire on a Camaro, it will get you there but you can tell by looking that it doesn't belong. :cool:

cjchasman
03-26-2011, 03:17 AM
Limb vibration dampners??...they come in camo, get the Sims ultra or there is a good wrap around out there but can't remember the name. That way you can try and remove if you want to w/out ruining the dampner.

martinbowhunter
03-26-2011, 03:30 AM
What's your draw weight? And you said your shooting 340 grain arrows? To me that seem's a little on the light side. I shoot mostly pigs so i personally shoot heavier arrows...around 440 grains. Plus just the little heavier arrows quiet down the bow alot.

cjchasman
03-26-2011, 03:55 AM
What's your draw weight? And you said your shooting 340 grain arrows? To me that seem's a little on the light side. I shoot mostly pigs so i personally shoot heavier arrows...around 440 grains. Plus just the little heavier arrows quiet down the bow alot.

Good thought...I checked Easton's site for him and the 340st epic arrow is 9.5 grs inch. they put the 29" shaft @276grs.

leeindy
03-26-2011, 05:50 AM
i think my arrows come in right at 400.
im pulling 70 lbs

elkslayer4x5
03-26-2011, 06:27 AM
A little more arrow weight won't hurt. I'm shooting 447 grn arrows out of my 63#er. :)

Arrow Splitter
03-26-2011, 09:08 AM
A little more arrow weight won't hurt. I'm shooting 447 grn arrows out of my 63#er. :)

All my arrows are over 420 grains, and I'm shooting about 63 lbs. as well. I have no silencers on my string. I just have an STS and Limbsavers.

A.S

Rockyhud
03-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Just a few suggestions - my 2 cents worth. First, instead of Loctite for preventing screws from working loose try string wax on the screw threads. This works as good and won't make it so hard to remove the screws later on and won't leave residue in the threaded holes.

Second, the previous suggestions for shooting heavier arrows. This will definitely quiet your bow very noticeably. You will lose some initial speed but heavier arrows retain more of their initial speed over distance than do lighter arrows. In other words, light arrows leave the bow faster but they lose speed considerably quicker over the distance they travel to the target where as heavier arrows lose much less speed over distance. Heavier arrows also have more mass which results in greater momentum which in turn provides greater penetration potential. Even if you're "only hunting whitetails" you never know if your arrow is going to hit bone that might dramatically reduce the lethality of your shot, leaving you a long trailing effort to recover the animal or worse yet, a mortally wounded animal that you don't/can't find. My lightest arrows are 450 grain, for small game, and my heavier arrows are 560 grain, for elk and such. The noise level from the heavier arrows is quite a bit lower.

Third, if your bow is primarily for hunting, why worry about cat whiskers looking like "a donut spare tire on a Camaro"? For me and my hunting bow, my primary concern is to have it shoot the best possible and be as quiet as possible. I recently put a pair of musk ox wool silencers (from 3Rivers Archery) on my Firecat's string and achieved a noticeable reduction in noise level and duration. Take a look at some of the bows that TV celeb hunters use and you'll see a surprising number using cat whiskers to quiet the string on their compound bows.

Lastly, you definitely have a nice looking rig. I like the cloaked cams. Happy shooting and hunting.

Simple Life
03-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Just a few suggestions - my 2 cents worth. First, instead of Loctite for preventing screws from working loose try string wax on the screw threads. This works as good and won't make it so hard to remove the screws later on and won't leave residue in the threaded holes.

Second, the previous suggestions for shooting heavier arrows. This will definitely quiet your bow very noticeably. You will lose some initial speed but heavier arrows retain more of their initial speed over distance than do lighter arrows. In other words, light arrows leave the bow faster but they lose speed considerably quicker over the distance they travel to the target where as heavier arrows lose much less speed over distance. Heavier arrows also have more mass which results in greater momentum which in turn provides greater penetration potential. Even if you're "only hunting whitetails" you never know if your arrow is going to hit bone that might dramatically reduce the lethality of your shot, leaving you a long trailing effort to recover the animal or worse yet, a mortally wounded animal that you don't/can't find. My lightest arrows are 450 grain, for small game, and my heavier arrows are 560 grain, for elk and such. The noise level from the heavier arrows is quite a bit lower.

Third, if your bow is primarily for hunting, why worry about cat whiskers looking like "a donut spare tire on a Camaro"? For me and my hunting bow, my primary concern is to have it shoot the best possible and be as quiet as possible. I recently put a pair of musk ox wool silencers (from 3Rivers Archery) on my Firecat's string and achieved a noticeable reduction in noise level and duration. Take a look at some of the bows that TV celeb hunters use and you'll see a surprising number using cat whiskers to quiet the string on their compound bows.

Lastly, you definitely have a nice looking rig. I like the cloaked cams. Happy shooting and hunting.

Nice bow RH.I agree ,I think the Cat Whiskers look better than the leeches,if they did not work,they would have been around as long as they have.And the wax is a good point,I also use it on my FP threads to keep them from backing out.

Lung Buster
03-26-2011, 11:51 AM
I second the string wax I use it all the time. You definitely have to be thorough go over your bow precisely be cause I put cat whiskers, limbsaver limbsaver's, a limbsaver x-coil and cranked down on every bolt chasing a vibration and then finally relized the rod my pendulum sight pivots on was where the noise was coming from I put a little grease on it quiet as can be now!

archerx7
03-26-2011, 12:33 PM

But they look so bad. It's like putting a donut spare tire on a Camaro, it will get you there but you can tell by looking that it doesn't belong. :cool:

Here you go.....http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1434722&highlight=cool+cats

MLN1963
03-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Colored donuts tires! :cool:

You know what they say, you can polish a turd but it's still a turd. :cool:

Just kidding. If they work better than anything else I would use them. Of course I'd get some Cool Cats in green/black to match my HH string!