PDA

View Full Version : FC400/QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD Interference

MLN1963
03-25-2011, 06:58 PM
* Edit* I used an optional spacer that was provided by QAD and no longer had any interference. See my other posts.

I was mounting my QAD and noticed the upper capture arm is hitting my TRG/SOS rod. I was trying to raise the rest a bit but am limited because of the rest to rod contact. I can make it work as is but it seems like the launcher arm is slapping the arrow shelf slightly. This may cause the rest to prematurely wear out I'm told.

I have a few options:

1. Grind a bit of the TRG rod away. Will that cause it to snap? it looks to be fiberglass and not steel.

2. Grind a bit of the rest away where it hits. A few swipes of a file and a black pen would be all it takes IMO. There goes warrant and any resale value most likely. It will only give me about 1 mm and I'm not sure if that is enough?

3. Leave it be and see what happens.

My free spirit says break out the grinder. My alter ego says you may regret that.

martinbowhunter
03-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Did you check to see if the rest is level on the riser? If not loosen the rest mounting bolts and put a level on the top of your rest (above the mounting screw) on the top of the rest mount. This could be a level issue. But anyway.....So you don't have to modify anything you could just off set the rest a little so it won't be level but instead be more so slanting a little back down toward your bus cables. The rest still should work fine from this position as long as you have it timed right.

gravedigger
03-25-2011, 07:10 PM
with out knowing about your rest because i use a hostage,i would say bust out that grinder.i dont buy stuff to resale,i buy it to use it till it breaks or give it to a guy who cant afford it when i up grade.resale never crosses my mind.so grind it till you find it...or wait till a tech guy comes in with a option that will work for resale

MLN1963
03-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I played with that and don't see it giving me the room I need. I can't go to the left or the center shot will be way off.

Speedykills
03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
can you take it back and get the cheaper model and that bar would be offset and not touch like the one you have.......

MLN1963
03-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Gravedigger, I try not to give away $100 rests. My wife would give me away!

martinbowhunter
03-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Bust out that grinder than.......but use it on the rest and not the TRG. but its up to you. Let us know what you decide and how it come's out.

MLN1963
Possibly, if I don't break out the Dremel or file first! :cool:

MLN1963
I bet the TRG rod is the cheapest to replace. I just don't want the rod breaking under tension.

martinbowhunter
03-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I bet the TRG rod is the cheapest to replace. I just don't want the rod breaking under tension.

That TRG rd might be the cheapest to replace but, the file to the rest would be safest....

Speedykills
03-25-2011, 07:29 PM
What if you move rest further back then angle down to where tip of launcher just barely touch shelf,maybe then you can adjust it better.kinda like a overdraw!.

MLN1963
03-25-2011, 09:07 PM
What if you move rest further back then angle down to where tip of launcher just barely touch shelf,maybe then you can adjust it better.kinda like a overdraw!.

I played with that and didn't like the outcome. Maybe if grinding alone doesn't do I can try again. I have yet to search AT and see if someone there has encountered it.

Simple Life
03-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Cut the containment bar,I was told the QAD don't not fit because of the TRG and that was the solution.

martinbowhunter
03-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Cut the containment bar,I was told the QAD don't not fit because of the TRG and that was the solution.

Ouch! Is that the only way to fix this problem? If so i would be :mad: Cut the containment rod off a hundred dollar rest? Not sure i would do that. Go back to your shop and see if you could do a swap with one that does fit. Maybe an apache? I love those rest as well.

Simple Life
03-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Ouch! Is that the only way to fix this problem? If so i would be :mad: Cut the containment rod off a hundred dollar rest? Not sure i would do that. Go back to your shop and see if you could do a swap with one that does fit. Maybe an apache? I love those rest as well.

Thats what I have been told,I was interested in the QAD til that,but ordered the Ripcord Code Red ,suppose to be no problems with clearance.

MLN1963
03-25-2011, 09:55 PM
I ordered it on line and may send it back if they will take it in exchange for another. If not I'll just try sell it. I'm not going to cut off the bar that is for sure.

If I get a different rest I would try a Apache or TR Revolution. Both have the same feature I wanted with the QAD, arrow stays up at slow let down. The Apache looks kinda hard to load an arrow and looks like it could be a pain if you are doing a lot of shooting. I have yet to see how to load the TR Rev. I know the CR is good too and that is an option. I need a drop away as I plan to shoot FOBs.

archerx7
03-26-2011, 04:34 AM
The QAD's won't work on the FC400 unless you completely remove the bracket that holds the containment bar. The center shot sets up a little inside, so grinding away some of the bracket still won't give enough clearance and I strongly suggest NOT grinding the carbon TRG rod. The Rip Cord gives plenty of clearance, not sure on the other rests you mentioned though, haven't setup any of those.

MLN1963
03-26-2011, 06:52 AM
That is not what I wanted to hear Archerx7! I thought I had done my home work on this rest but overlooked the placement of the TRG rod. It's certainly not QADs or Martins problem, it's mine. I just can't see cutting the containment arm off a brand new rest.

I will either sell it or exchange it for another rest. The wait starts all over now. :(

MLN1963
03-26-2011, 08:05 AM
It is too nice of rest to butch up so I decided to sell it. I mounted the padding on the containment arm and launcher so I can't expect to return it.

I will look into some new rest options. I like the Code Red with the exception of two things. 1. No slow let down capability 2. The thumb cocker position.

If anyone is interested in buying the QAD from me click here. (http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9231-Never-Used-QAD-Pro-Series-Lock-Down-Drop-Away-Rest-For-Sale-80)

bonehunter
03-26-2011, 08:53 AM
I thought the trg could be moved down like where the sts is on the older martins

MLN1963
03-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't think the TRG can be. I thought it could be too and looked at that. You may be able to add a STS or something but the TRG rod looks bigger than the slot cut on the lower portion of the riser. It would also be to long and not fit as the slot doesn't run full length front to back like the upper TRG rod slot does.

Simple Life
03-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Sorry about your rest MLN1963,you should have no problems selling it though.

MLN1963
03-26-2011, 09:55 AM
No big deal. I should have asked more questions. It's just a small set back that can be overcome quite easily.

MLN1963
03-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Luckily I found out the QAD and TRG are compatible and there is no interference. If you do it properly that is! Click HERE (http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9248-Firecat-400-And-QAD-Ultra-Rest-Pro-Series-Do-Play-Well-Together!!!) to see the end result.