PDA

View Full Version : Question about string lengths for a custom build

cherryju1ce
03-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm building a 2002 Cougar Elite with Tru-Arc+ base cams (the Small base cams). I realize that there were no bows offered with the Tru-Arc+ cams in the 42" ATA range, so I'm trying to come up with my own string lengths.

However, I'm having a hell of a time coming up with my own lengths. Here's what I've done...

I created an Excel spreadsheet with the bow models offered with Tru-Arc+ cams, each bow's ATA length, the bows' string, control cable, and buss cable lengths, and the differences between each. Usually with Martins, there is a distinct relationship between the string and cable lengths and the bow's ATA length. However, the differences between these models is all over the chart.

I do know that the winner of the 2007 LAS Classic in the Limited Class (Barry Reedy) was shooting a Razor-X with 16" straight limbs and the Tru-Arc+ cams, but that had to have been a custom build as well. However, since I have no way whatsoever of finding out those string lengths (he's since sold the bow), I'm stuck.

Any way someone at Martin can dig up those custom string lengths so I can use them as a reference? That would be huge. Otherwise...any ideas I haven't thought of? I'd hate to build a set of string and cables only to find that they're each a few inches too long or too short...that could ruin my day in a hurry.

Thanks.

Money Man
03-26-2011, 05:35 PM
cherryju1ce, welcome to the forum. I cannot answer your question, but hold on because there are a lot of talented and helpful folks here. we have a couple people who have dabbled with frankenbows and a couple string builders too. best of luck with your bow. Post up some pics as you go.

cherryju1ce
03-26-2011, 06:12 PM
cherryju1ce, welcome to the forum. I cannot answer your question, but hold on because there are a lot of talented and helpful folks here. we have a couple people who have dabbled with frankenbows and a couple string builders too. best of luck with your bow. Post up some pics as you go.

I was a member on this forum for a long time...I guess I'm what you could call a "veteran." I'm a string builder myself...which is why I don't want to waste any time building a set I won't be able to use.

SonnyThomas
03-26-2011, 06:22 PM
You could try contacting M&R Strings. Roger is up on stuff. Phone 1-618-534-6155. If I get around to it, Roger has told to me to ship my Frankenstein bow to him and he will build - Bow Logic with Pearson Z34 cam and wheel. This red and polished hard ware target Bow Logic is one of a few made, 36" ata.

archerx7
03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Not sure if these will help or not.

2004 Tru Arc mod and string chart shows a M-2000 Cougar as having a string of 62.75" a buss cable of 42.25" and control cable of 43.25". Compared to a 2002 Cougar XRG with Z cam, string length of 63" and buss cables at 45". The Z cams, although a traditonal dual cam, were similar in size to the Tru Arc cams.

The 04 charts show 2 different DL ranges, so I'm assuming thats for the small cam and the large cam, but they only list one string/cable length for both sets of DL ranges.

The C4 Cougar Tru Arc charts show the small cam having a string of 47" buss 34.5 and control 38.25 while the large cam string is 52.5" buss 34.5" control 38". If my figuring is right, the buss you need would be 42.25", the control would be 43.25-43.50" and the string could be either 62.75 or 57.25". Best bet would be to make the cables and get them installed and then measure for the correct string length. But I would lean towards the 57.25" length.

cherryju1ce
03-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Not sure if these will help or not.

2004 Tru Arc mod and string chart shows a M-2000 Cougar as having a string of 62.75" a buss cable of 42.25" and control cable of 43.25". Compared to a 2002 Cougar XRG with Z cam, string length of 63" and buss cables at 45". The Z cams, although a traditonal dual cam, were similar in size to the Tru Arc cams.

The 04 charts show 2 different DL ranges, so I'm assuming thats for the small cam and the large cam, but they only list one string/cable length for both sets of DL ranges.

The C4 Cougar Tru Arc charts show the small cam having a string of 47" buss 34.5 and control 38.25 while the large cam string is 52.5" buss 34.5" control 38". If my figuring is right, the buss you need would be 42.25", the control would be 43.25-43.50" and the string could be either 62.75 or 57.25". Best bet would be to make the cables and get them installed and then measure for the correct string length. But I would lean towards the 57.25" length.

I saw that too, but then I realized that the Tru-Arc cam is different than the Tru-Arc+ cams...I used the 2006 spec charts because they're the most recent. Thanks for the thought, though!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-27-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm building a 2002 Cougar Elite with Tru-Arc+ base cams (the Small base cams). I realize that there were no bows offered with the Tru-Arc+ cams in the 42" ATA range, so I'm trying to come up with my own string lengths.

However, I'm having a hell of a time coming up with my own lengths. Here's what I've done...

I created an Excel spreadsheet with the bow models offered with Tru-Arc+ cams, each bow's ATA length, the bows' string, control cable, and buss cable lengths, and the differences between each. Usually with Martins, there is a distinct relationship between the string and cable lengths and the bow's ATA length. However, the differences between these models is all over the chart.

I do know that the winner of the 2007 LAS Classic in the Limited Class (Barry Reedy) was shooting a Razor-X with 16" straight limbs and the Tru-Arc+ cams, but that had to have been a custom build as well. However, since I have no way whatsoever of finding out those string lengths (he's since sold the bow), I'm stuck.

Any way someone at Martin can dig up those custom string lengths so I can use them as a reference? That would be huge. Otherwise...any ideas I haven't thought of? I'd hate to build a set of string and cables only to find that they're each a few inches too long or too short...that could ruin my day in a hurry.

Thanks.
The only one I know that could probably come up with the lengths is copterdoc. I would pm him here and on AT. Not 100% sure he can but he has come up with other mixed matched bow string lengths before. And he was right on the money. If there is anyone else I am sure they will chime in.

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
03-27-2011, 06:23 AM
I'm out in the cold on this one. How about LeEarl on AT, although I haven't seen many posts by him lately? He's dabbled in just about every concievable Frankenbow you could think of.

cherryju1ce
03-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure I came up with some good lengths...

ATA - 42"
String - 57"
Control - 48"
Split - 44"

Time to make a set and git-er-done.

cherryju1ce
04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
I should have taken some pictures, but this build came out so good that it's crazy. I tied up a set of strings to the same lengths that I guessed, and they were almost perfect. I had to shorten the buss cable about 1/8", but the string and control cable lengths were dead nuts.

As for the specs, here's what those lengths yielded...

2002 Cougar Elite
6H limb deflection (yields 37-52 pounds)
Tru-Arc+ Small Cams (yields 27-30" AMO)
String - 57"
Control - 48"
Buss - 43 7/8"

ATA - 41 5/8"
BH - 7 1/2"

I used lime green speckle and blue speckle material, and they look incredible. The bow is much quieter than I expected...and my uncle says it holds better than any bow he's ever shot. Guess that shouldn't be any surprise...after all, it's been JU1CED!:p

Money Man
04-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Congratulations on what sounds like a successful project.

bigbob29
04-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi cherryjuice. I thought you had sold all your Martin stuff. Sounds like a potent little beast ..might look at doing something similar one day on my cougar elite.

scepterman30x
04-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I should have taken some pictures, but this build came out so good that it's crazy. I tied up a set of strings to the same lengths that I guessed, and they were almost perfect. I had to shorten the buss cable about 1/8", but the string and control cable lengths were dead nuts.

As for the specs, here's what those lengths yielded...

2002 Cougar Elite
6H limb deflection (yields 37-52 pounds)
Tru-Arc+ Small Cams (yields 27-30" AMO)
String - 57"
Control - 48"
Buss - 43 7/8"

ATA - 41 5/8"
BH - 7 1/2"

I used lime green speckle and blue speckle material, and they look incredible. The bow is much quieter than I expected...and my uncle says it holds better than any bow he's ever shot. Guess that shouldn't be any surprise...after all, it's been JU1CED!:p

I know what he means I started out shooting a M-2000 Cougar with 16" limbs and Z cams. Talk about forgiving. I spanked some serious tale with that bow and set some Florida State records.
I still have two M-2000's with Elite limbs and NOS A cams. The 2002 riser should be the same riser as the M-2000 and M-2001.

cherryju1ce
04-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I know what he means I started out shooting a M-2000 Cougar with 16" limbs and Z cams. Talk about forgiving. I spanked some serious tale with that bow and set some Florida State records.
I still have two M-2000's with Elite limbs and NOS A cams. The 2002 riser should be the same riser as the M-2000 and M-2001.

Yep...riser was unchanged until 2003 when it became the Cougar 3. They're awesome bows...I'm still shooting a 2001 MV2 Elite that I'll be putting some Furious cams on. Still haven't found one better...Martins had such character back then!

bigbob29
04-24-2011, 10:31 PM
My 2000 cougar elite has the single Fuzion cam. I shoot barebow , fingers. What advantage would I gain in going to the duel cams, and if any what would be the most advantageous, ie Nitrous, etc? I am one who likes the solid wall with little valley I currently get, and prefer smaller % in let off.Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

cherryju1ce
04-25-2011, 05:40 AM
My 2000 cougar elite has the single Fuzion cam. I shoot barebow , fingers. What advantage would I gain in going to the duel cams, and if any what would be the most advantageous, ie Nitrous, etc? I am one who likes the solid wall with little valley I currently get, and prefer smaller % in let off.Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

The Nitrous cams are what you're after...

If you like a hard wall and little valley, they fit the bill. Also, you can get them in 65% let-off and they're the easiest cams to tune I've ever shot. They're literally just better in every aspect.

Spiker
04-25-2011, 06:00 AM
The Nitrous cams are what you're after...

If you like a hard wall and little valley, they fit the bill. Also, you can get them in 65% let-off and they're the easiest cams to tune I've ever shot. They're literally just better in every aspect.

With fingers or release ... =)

bigbob29
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks cherryjuice and spiker. will keep it in mind. Just fitted a new string so might wait awhile before deciding to go down that road though.

Blueberries
04-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Usually with Martins, there is a distinct relationship between the string and cable lengths and the bow's ATA length. However, the differences between these models is all over the chart.