PDA

View Full Version : Experience Pays

bfisher
03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Lately I set my bow up from indoor mode getting ready for oudoor 3D. 46#, 27" draw, and shooting a 230 gr. arrow. I have been stating the speed at 280 fps on several forums. Just today I was at Kinsey's Outdoors and chrono'd the bow and lo and behold it came in at 278 fps, four shots in a row. I guess it must be about 278 fps.

Not too shabby of a guess for an old man.

MLN1963
03-27-2011, 11:54 AM
That is a man who knows his equipment!

gravedigger
03-27-2011, 12:04 PM
not to shaby.when a guy spends enough time with a project then it becomes apart of that person..a second nature type thing...good job

Turkeyflacx2
03-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Whats your setup? Ive been looking for arrows for my #50 Mystic that are light. Im in at 27" too and would be curious as to your arrows.

bfisher
03-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Gold Tip UL-600. Raw shaft is cut to 25.5". With nock installed and measuring to the nock groove they come out to 26" even. Right now they have Easton CB bushings and G-nocks. Three 2" Rayzr feathers. Points are 35gr glue-in target points with 10 gr. GT weights installed in the back of the points. No wrap or anything else fancy. Total arrow weight is 229.7 grains to adhere to the 5 gr/lb rule.

These are for shooting primarily 3D with a little indoor spot shooting right now till it warms up enough to shoot outside. I also have some made up that weigh 209 gr and just for giggles shot a couple over the chrono at 50# and they clock 296 fps with the same bow setup.

CarlosII
03-28-2011, 04:30 AM
those are pretty light and i'm wondering what your FOC is on those arrows. how are they flying out to say 40 yards?

i get right at 270 fps with my shadowcat shooting a 275 gr arrow at 50 pounds with a FOC of about 9 %.

those are victory x ringers. they show a really stiff spine but some how or other they seem to shoot fine out to 40 yards. (that's the max distance for the geezer class in ASA)

with those same arrows using my diamond marquis set at 50 pounds i'm getting 282 fps. good but i love the shadowcat and i'll give up the other 15 fps or so.

bfisher
03-28-2011, 05:42 AM
Well, FOC works out to 6.355% which isn't much, but consideering my shooting ability I was able to shoot good enough groups to get a sight setting out to 55 yards. Considering that I'm an old geezer I don't have to shoot beyond 35 yards for local 3D's so it's not too bad. Being as I'm a work in progress I'll be playing around with it as the weather improves, possibly bumping the bow up around 50# and adding heavier weight to the points so as to get up around 9% FOC or close to it. That should be sufficient for a target arrow. I do know that a lighter FOC allows the arrows to drift at longer ranges.

You probably don't know much history on me, but 4 years ago I had a case of Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis and a hernaited disc in my neck. In one month's time I went from shooting about 60# to struggling with a 15# Genisis (muscle loss). It took me a year to get back up to 27#. It's been a long 4 years and I'm just now getting up to around 45# and having confidence again. I spent a year shooting nothing but 15 yards to build some muscle back and be able to control the bow. Of course this led to some bad shooting and a good case of target panic that I'm beginning to overcome to some degree. At least I do see some progress.

SonnyThomas
03-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I feel for you, bfisher. Neck injury and several back injuries and a broken back...Yep, I know pain. The wrist bone having the socket for my thumb was damaged beyond repair was replaced with a gel pack and flesh (worked until it became scar tissue). When I tried to pull back a 12 pound kid's bow I hurt so bad....I went to my knees. Pain easing I was then scared I would never shoot again. My hand looked so ugly and my thumb looked overly set back. I've pic somewhere - I'll find it.
After reading of your recovery mine was a snap. It took from February to the end of June to begin to draw my 3D bow. I went from 10 pounds, to 12, to 15, to 25 and then a 35 pound bow. I tell ya, after each session I was sweating like hard run horse. I think this was in May. I began leaping. 45 to 55 and then to 60 by the end of June. By July I was well enough to shoot in the IAA State Championship.

Arrow Splitter
03-28-2011, 10:02 AM
You probably don't know much history on me, but 4 years ago I had a case of Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis and a hernaited disc in my neck. In one month's time I went from shooting about 60# to struggling with a 15# Genisis (muscle loss). It took me a year to get back up to 27#. It's been a long 4 years and I'm just now getting up to around 45# and having confidence again. I spent a year shooting nothing but 15 yards to build some muscle back and be able to control the bow. Of course this led to some bad shooting and a good case of target panic that I'm beginning to overcome to some degree. At least I do see some progress.

I can't even imagine what you went through, but I'm glad you're doing well now.

A.S

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Well Barry, I am glad you didn't give up. And I am glad you kept going. It must have been a hard thing to get through but sounds like your doing well now.

Hutch:cool:

gibson 787
03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Lately I set my bow up from indoor mode getting ready for oudoor 3D. 46#, 27" draw, and shooting a 230 gr. arrow. I have been stating the speed at 280 fps on several forums. Just today I was at Kinsey's Outdoors and chrono'd the bow and lo and behold it came in at 278 fps, four shots in a row. I guess it must be about 278 fps.

Not too shabby of a guess for an old man.

Hey there young man, careful what you refer to as old! Nice guess BTW ;)

bfisher
03-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Well Barry, I am glad you didn't give up. And I am glad you kept going. It must have been a hard thing to get through but sounds like your doing well now.

Hutch:cool:

Psychologically it really did a number on me and I went through a period of depression, almost sucidal, but did get over it. This was the third surgery on my neck in 15 years---degenerative disc disease so it may not be my last. At the time this hit me I coiuldn't even raise my bow arm with 4#--main reason for the Genisis. Another thing that bothered me was that I had a brand new, in the box, 2007 Chameleon colored S4, 40-55# and couldn't even roll it over so it got sold unshot.

Hey, I appreciate everybodys' sympathy and well wishes, but I'm finally getting my mind under control. Shooting will never be the same for me. I'll never draw the same weight and the muscle control will never be the same, but I did come to the realization that I have to play the hand that I've been dealt and do my best with it.

I can take some solace in teaching and coaching new shooters, passing on some of what others taught me when I was in my prime. I think I get almost as much joy out of this as I did shooting.

Over the years all the guys I used to shoot with have gone in other directions so I've been mostly on my own the last few years. Now it seems some of those I coached are taking some interest in target and 3D shooting so I'll most likely end up with new "competitors". You know the ones. Those who like to rub it in when they beat the old master. Hey, that's OK, too. I still hold my own.

I guess you can tell I'm starting to enjoy it again. Sorry for the rambling, but it's my way of relieving stress and gives you guys a better understanding of where I'm coming from. I do have to say this. Through it all I never had a thought of giving up. Giving up would be like giving in and I'm too hard headed for that.

Thanks for listening guys

bfisher
03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey there young man, careful what you refer to as old! Nice guess BTW ;)

OK, so how old are you? I checked your profile and it seems you are ashamed to let us know. LOL

Sonny, it looks like you've had your bad days, too. Putting it bluntly, life can be a bitch. It's a shame these things happen, but it does show you and others just what you're made of. I can imagine this had you down in the dumps for a while, but being a real man you fought it off and came back. Good for you.

gibson 787
03-28-2011, 04:12 PM
OK, so how old are you? I checked your profile and it seems you are ashamed to let us know. LOL

Sonny, it looks like you've had your bad days, too. Putting it bluntly, life can be a bitch. It's a shame these things happen, but it does show you and others just what you're made of. I can imagine this had you down in the dumps for a while, but being a real man you fought it off and came back. Good for you.

Turned 60 last year. Not ashamed just can't believe how it seems to speed up when you get past 40 :eek:

gravedigger
03-28-2011, 05:01 PM
im not long winded.that being said way to get back on the horse.good job

bfisher
03-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Turned 60 last year. Not ashamed just can't believe how it seems to speed up when you get past 40 :eek:

Gotcha by almost 4 years------Young Man, right back at ya. I could be wrong, but I think ElkSlayer4x5 is the senior member on here at what---66?

gravedigger
03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Gotcha by almost 4 years------Young Man, right back at ya. I could be wrong, but I think ElkSlayer4x5 is the senior member on here at what---66?

you guys are not old.your in your prime.dont ya know 60'ish is the new 45 somthing

bfisher
03-28-2011, 05:41 PM
No doubt in my mind.

CarlosII
03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
66 eh? well let's see, that would put me in kindergarten when he was born...as of this coming wednesday.

bfisher
03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
66 eh? well let's see, that would put me in kindergarten when he was born...as of this coming wednesday.

OK, so that would make you 71, right? You're ahead for now. Let's see if there's anybody older.

SonnyThomas
03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
He doesn't use computers so he's not on here, but Bill Postin is 81 and still shoots a practice round just about every Saturday at the shop. He bow hunted last year and plans to go again this year.