PDA

View Full Version : Module screws

Ehunter
03-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Just bought an Onza, and there is one module screw that is either buggered, or in so tight I can't budge it. I've broken 2 allen wrenches so far trying to get it out. Been soaking it in silicone lubricant and WD 40, and still too tight. The allen head is still ok. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks guys!

Spiker
03-28-2011, 06:00 AM
You could back the bow off, remove the strings and then use a small pencil torch to heat it up and try to get it to break loose.

cjchasman
03-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Take all steps needed to get full exposure to the screw. Place an ice cube on the head for 2-3 minutes. Try to loosen. If that doe not work get an electric soldering iron, apply heat to head. Try hot/ cold combinations of 2-3 minutes each. Eventually you should expand and contract the screw enough to get it to move w an allen. Be sure you do not make the screw too hot w/ the soldering iron. I never had to do this on a bow but have used it many times b4 on scopes, gun parts, cars parts etc. Or take it back to a service rep.

MLN1963
03-28-2011, 06:17 AM
I seen that at a local shop when I wanted to test a FC400. Owner said he's had it happen more than he wants to admit. He said it isn't the threads, but the steel countersunk head is galling to the aluminum cam. He has to drill out the head and then the threaded area comes right out.

gravedigger
03-28-2011, 06:50 AM
i have to say drill out the head,leaving the alllen head still to ware you can get a wrench on it.then take it on out.small hole not big one.then if it dont come out try hot cold and you will have a center hole for even flow.

MLN1963
03-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Cycing of heat and cold will help if it isn't galling. If it is galling, and I suspect that since you broke two wrenches, heat cycling isn't going to be much help.

This reminds me, tonight I am pulling my screws out and applying anti-seize.

cjchasman
04-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Ehunter,
What was the outcome if you don't mind me asking?

chasman

justin
04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
well if you broke allen wrenches and its not coming out, id suggest a hardened allen driver bit, and a 1/4 inch wrench. good bits are hard to come by sometimes though. and if the screw isnt damaged, a mac or snap-on bit, with a lil tap to make sure its seated fully, and the wrench should get it no problem. its fairly easy to end up with allen wrenches that are soft and twist off. do not tighten your mod screws this as it will be easy to over tighten them.

Ehunter
04-03-2011, 01:04 PM
The final outcome was, I left it alone. lol Turkey season has started here, and that's what I bought the bow for. I just moved the draw stop a bit to get my correct draw length. Just has less let-off now. Still well within reason though. I'm guessing about 60-65% let off now. Being a 60 pound bow, that's not too bad at all. After season ends, I'll screw with it more and try to get the thing apart. Got it tuned and shooting great now, so worry about it later. lol I did put anti-seize on the other 3 mod screws before they went back in though. lol

HawgEnvy
04-03-2011, 02:41 PM
The final outcome was, I left it alone. lol Turkey season has started here, and that's what I bought the bow for. I just moved the draw stop a bit to get my correct draw length. Just has less let-off now. Still well within reason though. I'm guessing about 60-65% let off now. Being a 60 pound bow, that's not too bad at all. After season ends, I'll screw with it more and try to get the thing apart. Got it tuned and shooting great now, so worry about it later. lol I did put anti-seize on the other 3 mod screws before they went back in though. lol

good luck on the hunt. Post up some pics of you success

cjchasman
04-04-2011, 03:22 AM
Sounds like a good plan. But I bet the turkey will disagree...;)

gstudt
04-04-2011, 07:08 AM
If only 1 screw is tight.

Remove the other screw and you can rotate the module to loosen the screw that will not come loose. This has worked for me everytime.

If 2 screws will not loosen.

I had one guy with a good wrench and I used a nail set and a hammer on the head of the screw. I gently tapped the screw as the other guy was putting pressure on it with the wrench.

Give it a whirl

SonnyThomas
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
If only 1 screw is tight.
Remove the other screw and you can rotate the module to loosen the screw that will not come loose. This has worked for me everytime.
If 2 screws will not loosen.
I had one guy with a good wrench and I used a nail set and a hammer on the head of the screw. I gently tapped the screw as the other guy was putting pressure on it with the wrench.
Give it a whirl

Warning on using the mod to break loose the screw - DON'T FORCE! You could bend the mod....

Other than "tapping" with a nail set and missing and smashing the cam, try a dremel tool and grind to "slice" a cut across the allen head. Once a good cut or slice you can use a small chisel, screw driver or nail set and gently tap the screw in the direction to loosen.

And it is true of the allen head corroding to the cam. WD 40 and the likes don't penetrate and will break through corrosion. Use Liquid Wrench the supreme penetrating oil.

If and when you break the screw loose or on another froze screw, when it breaks loose you will smell a sulfer like smell. That's corrosion.

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 11:57 AM
i use mouse milk to get into them things that just wont break loose.

Rockyhud
04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
PB Buster is another good penetrating oil for such occasions. Once the old screw is out and you're ready to install a new one I recommend apply string wax on the screw threads then running it into the hole. This will act like a thread locker but doesn't seize up like your current situation and won't cause damage to the threads in the hole.

Ehunter
04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I tried that a few days ago when I ran into the problem. The mod will unscrew from the thread slightly, but I think the head is gaulled into the cam. I could take the one screw out, and move the mod back and forth, but it never loosened the other screw at all. Figure after season's over, I'll either fix it, or break it. lol

Arrow Splitter
04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Figure after season's over, I'll either fix it, or break it. lol

The second option might be costly.LOL:D;):D

A.S

mudpig
04-05-2011, 09:57 AM
I've had really good luck with Kroil. Its a peppermint oil and works awesome for penetrating between metals

gravedigger
04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
oh danr there is a penitrating oil that works its way up from the bottom of the thred.if you spray a little at the bottom of any screw nut...it works its way up from the bottom to the top.i think its zap or zep someting like that.its dam good stuff

martinbowhunter
04-05-2011, 11:07 AM
oh danr there is a penitrating oil that works its way up from the bottom of the thred.if you spray a little at the bottom of any screw nut...it works its way up from the bottom to the top.i think its zap or zep someting like that.its dam good stuff

I think it's made by the company Zep

gravedigger
04-05-2011, 11:16 AM
I think it's made by the company Zep

i dont know if you have used it or not but i like that stuff its good.

Ehunter
04-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks to all. I'll give some of these a try in a couple months when seasons over, if I don't fill both tags before then. 2 bird limit here in Spring, and I would really like to get both birds with archery this year. Never done that before. lol

gravedigger
04-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks to all. I'll give some of these a try in a couple months when seasons over, if I don't fill both tags before then. 2 bird limit here in Spring, and I would really like to get both birds with archery this year. Never done that before. lol

well good luck and get your birds.

MLN1963
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Don't expect Kroil to smell like peppermint, it doesn't! My wife pretty much outlawed the use of Kroil and PB Blaster in our house. Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. :cool:

polaris754
04-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I might suggest, BUT u do need to be careful ,and the back of the cam supported well, [sometimes I use a socket under neath bad screw or bolt ] find the proper bit , either a snap on or a high quality one, put a extension on so u have clearance from ur hand and wack it a few times with a hammer , repeat as necessary, soak with pb blaster , try again , I dont like heating things up unless its absolutely necessary, removes strength and warps , i guess a hammer dose to if u sledge it so be careful hope this helps good luc