PDA

View Full Version : Peer pressure to switch bow brands ?????!!!!!!!!!

buckhunt
03-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Ok, Here in southern Wisconsin there is very few that shoot Martin bows. Spots, Field, 3-D, etc... Most shoot the other brands. Since starting competitive archery, 3 years ago, I have been shooting and loving Martin. So, why is it that many of my archery buddies keep telling me to "switch bow brands" and shoot theirs? "You will shoot better". "Theirs is superior and better", bla,bla,bla.....

Anybody else get this pressure? Better yet, anybody else gone to the other side and find out what all the hype is about?

DON'T GET ME WRONG, I LOVE MY MARTIN BOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarlosII
03-30-2011, 04:58 AM
like my Mama used to say, "I suppose if everybody else jumped off the cliff you'd jump with 'em!"

ride for the brand, as they say in cattle country.

looks like you have great line up of Martins there.

buckhunt
03-30-2011, 05:09 AM
You betch ya! Love shooting all of them!

SonnyThomas
03-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Peer pressure? I shot Hoyts since year 2000. 7 or 8 UltraTecs and 1 ProElite. A Martin staff shooter stuck a Shadowcat in my hand right before the ProAm in Metro last summer. I thought I did pretty good for shooting it just two weeks and the draw length too long for me. I got my own and have been shooting it ever since.

John Wheeler used a Martin Shadowcat to establish a new Vegas record this year - February 2011. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1422478&pagenumber=

HawgEnvy
03-30-2011, 05:56 AM
martin is just as good quality as anything else and w a smaller $ tag. Remind your buddies that THEY are the ones paying for the advertising/hype associated with their bows. THEY are paying for the name.

can the "X" tell the difference? Can the deer(or cattle:p)tell which bow was used to stick a broadhead in it's vitals? Not like a 4pt shot w a Hoyt is gonna be trash talking a 12pt shot by a Martin cuz the bow that killed him is "better". Right?

point is,they all get the job done. Shoot what YOU like and are comfortable with. Save your cash and keep out-shootin your buds

Ehunter
03-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Martins are few and far between around here as well. Everything seems to be that other "M" name, or the Pearson that a local dealer sells. The few times anyone says something about my Martins, I simply let them shoot my bows. They find ouot that I have the same or better speed, accuracy, and a quieter and more shock free bow than any of them do. Then I tell them the price I paid just to piss them off. lol

Arrow Splitter
03-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Why would I want to shoot the Waffle when I can just put syrup on it and eat it?LOL:p:D
Seriously, I'm not against the other companies; I just like my Martin.:cool:

Now, you wonder why your archery buddies want you to switch brands? That's because they're jealous that you spent less money on all of your bows together than they did on only two or three of their bows.:cool:

A.S

bfisher
03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
It does come down to a few things. Some people compare and say that the finish on Martin bows is not as precise. There may be some credence to this, but functionally most bows are very similar. They use limb material supplied by one or two manufacturers. They have machined cams and other parts. They are all fairly quiet, fast, and vibration free if speaking about parallel limbs. So if the main difference some see is in the finish then I would have to ask if that is worth several hundred dollars more. If it's a hunting bow most likely it's going to get some dings and scratches anyway so what's another imperfection in the finish really going to mean.

Value for the buck is one thing I consider. Martin has been using Stone Mt. strings on their pro series bows for a few years. Now they are using premium HH strings on all the bows. Not something you see with some of the "high priced" other bows.

I don't think I would consider customer service much of an issue. Martin is one of the best, but other companies are good, too, in most cases. They have to be. This is a highly competitive industry and CS reputation is a major selling point today.

One of the biggest reason Martin isn't as popular is simply because the dealer base isn't as wide spread. Dealers have learned that they can make more profit from selling those higher priced bows so that's what they offer. From a business sense I can't blame them. It also comes down to what kind of customer base is in an area. If you can't sell as many bows because there aren't as many people then you'd want to make as much profit on each bow as you can. But selling only higher priced bows also leaves room for the box stores to grab some of those potential customers.

gravedigger
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
mathews and bowtech are the main bows that are shot and sold in my neck opf the woods.my martin dealer is a hour away and carries very few martins yet he stocks mathews and hoyt and pse.ware i go to shoot the bad a$$ 3d course is at a bowtec dealers shop.i know 3 martin shooters and one of them is swithching to bowtech because it cost alot so it got to be the best...ha ha ha.ive walked into the bowtech shop ware i shoot the 3ds,and he has a indoor shoot so i wanted to shoot through some paper.well one of the bt owneras had enough %$##& to say to me...sorry you own a martin.well i un im going to stop ther.but after i took a few shot them bt owners stopd and watched,then said wow that is one quit bow and it looks fast.so stick with what you like,shoot what you want.go ahead and buy a bow of your choice.just keep your martin around when you start thinking about that 800-1000 you just spent on you new and improved bow.im not raging on ya just do what you want and be happy with what you do

NuttyNative
03-30-2011, 11:35 AM
I have never caved in to peer pressure. Have always went my own way and prefer to be the "oddball" or different. Should have seen the looks & heard the comments when I took a 2010 Oneida Kestrel to a 3D shoot. Placed 15th in a class of 156. I enjoy being different.
I think Mr. Fisher's comments are very accurate. The Martin finish is in my opinion needing help to be in the "upper class" world. I was in Sportsmans Warehouse when the new shipment of Martins were taken out of the boxes for display. Two Onzas, two Silencers, four Ridge hunters, three Panteras, and two Exiles. While looking them over you could easily tell they had a three piece riser. A simple adjustment to the CNC machine or a sanding wheel would correct this issue. Several had spots where the dip was coming up. Two had marks on the idler wheel that were "fixed" with a black sharpie. Not good in my book for being right out of the box.
As Barry said, nothing to curb functionality from a hunting standpoint but disappointing from a consumers point of view. Especially compared to the new Mathews, Bowtechs, PSE's, Bears, and Hoyt's that are right along side them. Judging from talking with people in this area, most of the "trash talk" comes from the lower prices. How can a $400 bow compete and be as advanced as a $900 bow? Some say they are noisy, some say they are ugly, and some don't like how they feel.
This is no different than the Ford, Chevy, Dodge battle or the Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki one. I say shoot what you like and feels comfortable to YOU. I got a great deal on my BT and it's very comfortable in my hand, that's why I own it. I Will have a Firecat 360 when the left hand model is released. Most likely will pick up another Oneida in time. Wanna pick on me for shooting one? Be my guest, I'm a big boy & can take it.
On another note. Mathews , Bowtech, Bear, Hoyt, and PSE are pumping so much into marketing on tv with all their sponsored hunters. Trying to convince everyone they need what they are shooting. Ted Nugent is the only tv personality that I've seen with a Martin, and an older one at that. I seen a show where Jim Burnworth was razzin him (Ted) for shooting a four year old bow. Ted's response was, if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-30-2011, 11:43 AM
I started with martin and will end with martin.

Simple Life
03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
No peer pressure for me,just wanted to try something different.All bows built now are good bows ,,some have higher prices tags to cover their marketing cost and hype.Would I like to own a Carbon Element...sure,but I am not going to break the bank to buy a bow,plus the wife would KILLLL me.:eek:It is all personal preference and what feels good to you.

martinbowhunter
03-30-2011, 01:43 PM
I get a bunch of peer pressure. I am the only one out of my friends to have a martin. Everyone else shoot's the big name bows. Will i be switching? nope! Thank's to my friend's i got to shoot all the big name bow's. And honestly, i wasn;t impressed. I am impressed with my martin tiime and time again. I got my martin firecat for 4 hundo. And to me it shoot's just as good as the other brands that cost way, way more.....now that is impressive in my eyes.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-30-2011, 01:46 PM
For the price of what you would pay for the hyped up bows. You could buy two Martins and always have a back up bow.

Hutch:cool:

martinbowhunter
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
For the price of what you would pay for the hyped up bows. You could buy two Martins and always have a back up bow.

X2 I have two martins, one for me and one for my gf. Total spent......$850

Lung Buster
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I've shot bear, browning, alpine, Parker and none of them shot as nice and quiet, fast like my Martin bone hunter I don't plan on switching brands for a very long time if ever. Don't let anyone pressure you into something you don't want to do!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-30-2011, 01:59 PM
X2 I have two martins, one for me and one for my gf. Total spent......$850
And that is still less than what you would spend for one of the Hyped bows.

HUTCH:cool:

Skbengal
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately martin doesn't seem to get the exposure they deserve.Most people who trash them have never picked one up.Here in Canada Martin dealers are rare.There are no dealers in northern Saskatchewan(where I live) or northern Alberta(where I grew up).After I bought my bengal in '08 I had a couple of issues (not martins fault but my local pro shop),I took my bow to Trophy Book Archery in Spruce Grove AB to be set up.They are very well known, and people travel from all over to deal with them.Their main lines are Matthews and Bear.I used to window shop there for years.When I dropped off my bow, the guy gave me a funny look and said "Oh, a Martin."When I went back that afternoon to pick up my bow the guy lit right up when he seen me!All excited he grabbed my bow and said"What a great little bow!You gotta see this!"He took me into the back to the shooting lanes.He seemed as excited as I was when I first opened my bow!The arrows I had were cx rebels @ 28".He had me shoot three arrows that he chrono'd.254fps.Then he said"Now see what it'll do with decent arrows!"And he handed some redlines from his Matthews.286fps!He kept telling what a great little bow I had!He also showed me his Matthews and admitted that for him it was "all about the speed."To have a Matthews dealer shoot and praise my "little" Martin the way he did boosted my confidence in my bow more than I can say!I realize that a lot of people aren't as open minded as he was,but if more people were willing to a least shoot a Martin I'm sure their opinions would change!After I got my bengal my buddy retired his Bear and bought a Cheetah!Have a great day guys!

cjchasman
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
I started w/ a Bear Kodiak Magnum then a PSE thunderbolt. Bought them used,thought the PSE shot great till I started to look around. Traded a used horton cross bow for a used Mathews ultra light. Thought it shot great till I started to look around. Researched all bow makers and almost bought a Martin Cougar but bought a Parker Phoenix new. First new bow and thought it shot great till...no till it still does. I looked at Parker for a lot of the same reasons I was attracted to Martin. I bought two more Parkers set up for different things one used and another (Hornet) new. They all are capable of shooting better than I can. Then this year I finally got my Martin Bengal. After some "getting to know you issues" I think it shoots great and am enjoying every shot I take with it. I enjoy reading this forum and learning about Martins. I would like to say to everyone that there are some great bows out there. We can enjoy what we choose to and should not let the input of other archers put us on the defensive. Grab a bow, enjoy shooting it and teach a kid the same. I personally can't wait for the new Martin line up or the opportunity to jump on a used one when the price is right. By the way all these bows except for the Bear are still hanging in the basement shop and are shot regularly.
Go Martin...Go Archers!

Jason419
03-30-2011, 04:11 PM
you know i started with a used 08 martin firecat midnight blue love that bow still have it shoots really good and is accurate and quiet i have about 430 dollars in it then i shot an elite gt500 fell in love with it so i went and bought an 09 gt500 red and i have about 560 in that set up then i bought a 2010 martin bengal and it was the biggest pile of crap i have ever owned and on top of that it was my first new bow long story short i had to contact attorney general and bbb and finally martin took it back and i paid the differance and got 2011 martin firecat great bow like it almost as much as my 08 then about a month ago i shot an 09 82nd airbourne by bowtech wow was i impressed smooth quiet and wow was it fast the fastest bow i had every shot so i bought it it is a dark red with like ghost flames in it with a qad rest on it d loop and peep at max weight 61.8 lbs 29 inch draw i shot 319 and i have about 480 dollars in this setup. Now yes i agree martins use to be an affordable bow but the new martins arent so affordable anymore. The biggest differance in my martin bows vs my elite and bowtech are the finish. My 08 firecat has a better finish on it than my brand new 2011 firecat pretty sad if you ask me specially for a 600 dollar bow. Now funny story about my bowtech is i took my buddy to a shop to get his new mathews z7 extreme worked on and they kept telling him his problems were cause his bow shoots so fast he couldnt sight it in where he wanted to so after listening to this for awhile i was like i dont think the z7 extreme is shooting as fast as what you claim it is so he had him shoot it through chrono and they where all suprised because it only shot 268 at 28 draw and 62lbs with peep loop and rest tied in so my buddy is like go get your bow so i did and with same arrow shot 319 the place was just silent then the guy ended up setting the rest up right and adjusted the peep and loop and the my buddy could get it sighted in right just thought it was funny. For some reason i have had better luck with used bows vs new bows

buckhunt
03-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! Sounds like we all have had a bit of pressure. The big name bow around here is Hoyt. I used to shoot a Mattews Q2 xl, but my Martins do feel better. I shot a couple of buddy's Hoyts, but didnt see what the Hype was about. I shoot left handed so I am limited on how many bows I can shoot from others. I do like the fact that I am different than most by shooting Martin. Uncle Ted is also one of my favorites.

Ray from Auburn
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Guess I'm lucky in that I don't know anyone who owns a waffle stick and only one guy who has a Hoyt. My personal limit for spending on a bow is $500, so I've been able to test a few brands. I have a Parker Inferno, Martin Pantera, Ross Carnivore & a Diamond Iceman. Have recently sold a Parker Trailblazer and a Martin Bengal (nephew buying, finally decided to get into hunting). Each one has a appeal that I liked. Is there an overall preference? My Parker Inferno this past hunting season. I liked the Pantera for practice/target shooting. The price of Mathews/Hoyt has always been a turn-off, because I'm not gonna pay for their adverstising. IMO, Parker and Martin can keep a low profile and I'll still buy their products.

gibson 787
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Ok, Here in southern Wisconsin there is very few that shoot Martin bows. Spots, Field, 3-D, etc... Most shoot the other brands. Since starting competitive archery, 3 years ago, I have been shooting and loving Martin. So, why is it that many of my archery buddies keep telling me to "switch bow brands" and shoot theirs? "You will shoot better". "Theirs is superior and better", bla,bla,bla.....

Anybody else get this pressure? Better yet, anybody else gone to the other side and find out what all the hype is about?

DON'T GET ME WRONG, I LOVE MY MARTIN BOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as innovation relative to archery goes, no other company comes close to Martin. Their bows have been used by some of the top archers in the world, winning countless major tournaments.

It all depends where you live and shoot and what the local pro shops sell and promote. Where I live, Martin is very well respected. I notice you have an arsenal of excellent Martins in your collection.

A good response to to them would be to ask what are the specific things that make their bows shoot better than your Martins. Bet that stumps a few. ;)

MLN1963
03-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Since no bow company is giving me bows or paying me to shoot their bow I will buy whatever fits my desires best. This time it was a Martin due to this forum, who knows what it might be if I ever get something else?

Rangerj
03-30-2011, 06:49 PM

This is what I did . I bought a 2010 Cheetah and a 2010 Firecat TR2 got both all set up etc for a little more than one of the BIG Three. I am very pleased and will remain a Martin Man.

Jason419
03-30-2011, 11:12 PM
i just bought a new firecat i dont know where you guys are saying they are cheap and affordable i payed 600 for mine last year a good martin bow new was 400 martin bows are getting as exspensive as the rest and there quality is going down hill dont get me wrong i still love my 08 and 2011 firecats

gravedigger
03-30-2011, 11:25 PM
im calln martin about the crafstman ship.yes a bit more care should be takin on the product.no matter the cost.but i love my bow.or maybe i will sens an e-mail,or drive to wala wala,it not to far from me

martinbowhunter
03-30-2011, 11:33 PM
i just bought a new firecat i dont know where you guys are saying they are cheap and affordable i payed 600 for mine last year a good martin bow new was 400 martin bows are getting as exspensive as the rest and there quality is going down hill dont get me wrong i still love my 08 and 2011 firecats

Um, because, um, um, because, isn't $600 more cheaper/affordable than $700,$800,$900,$1,000 or even that darn $2,200 dollar bow? Oh and also EVERY bow company has issues with there bow's, It's how these company's Takke care of there issue's/customer's when these issues present them selves. Martin is numero uno as far as customer service. But yes i do agree that martins quality could be a little better as far as finish and and some other minor things.

Skbengal
03-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Did you guys read this!My humble ($400)Bengal blows away a($900)Matthews z7!MAN DID I EVER GET A GOOD DEAL!I sure saved some serious coin there!

RLW
04-01-2011, 06:56 AM
I had Browning, PSE and couple others, as well as shot a few others (tougher to find a lefty bow around than it is a Martin bow). Got my first Martin sometime around 1990 and worked so well for me I just stayed with them.

As for peer pressure, I don't see much of that in my area. Like many areas, I mostly see Bowtech/Diamond (I do like the Diamond finish), Mathews and Hoyts at shoots, but only get some little ribbing from friends once in a while if I choke on a shot, jokingly saying it must be that Martin. (I get more flack having blue/orange "Boise State" colored vanes, from Idaho Vandal grads and local Oregon fans)
I've find most knowledgeable guys around here acknowledge Martin as a good bow line.
Even one of my friends/coworker doesn't push any peer pressure on me, and thinks they're a good line, and he's a former (part time current) Hoyt engineer who worked on their current riser/cam designs.......and honestly I wouldn't mind trying the new Carbon series, but can't see the $$ myself.

whman
04-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Guess I'll throw my .02 cents in.....
I purchased both a Bengal and Warthog last year. Bengals been perfect, but the Warthog has had two limb changes. On the last change, I took it to a local Matthews dealer. As he was working on my bow, some of the guys came up and started trashing my Martin. The man working on my bow....the owner of the shop, by the way, stopped working, looked around the shop at the guys razing me and said that Martin was one of the oldest, most respected name in archery. He went on to say that he couldn't recommend any Matthews in his shop that would be a better bow than the one I had. Guess the fact that he had one of those "cold, steely" looks helped, but the guys got quiet. They didn't say much when I took it to the same shops range and, after a few adjustments, started drilling the X out of a few targets. Anyway, people are brand sensitive. As has been said....shoot what you want. If it's inferior, find something else. I personally don't think that there is a really better bow than a Martin out there...just individual models that you might like better.

buckhunt
04-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks whman. Thats the same type of attitude I get out of the guys around here. Like I said earlier, I shot a Mathews for 6-7 years but couldn't see or feel what all the hype is about. I like the customer service, innovations, and the fact that the company is family owned.

dragonsfire311
04-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Shot a browning for several years before switching to martin. Been shooting my prowler for almost 10 years and never had a problem with it. Hoyt is the major player around my area, with a few mathews and bowtechs mixed in. Martin seems to have a bigger following in N Florida than it does around here, however the most expensive is not always the best, I guess its pretty much down to personel preference and what works best for you. Its like the old truck debate, (I prefer Dodge) and a friend of my swears by Ford.