PDA

View Full Version : New string/cable on Firecat TR1

Feathers
03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
I am going to replace the factory Double Helix string on my 2010 Firecat TR1 with a new one. I think I am going to go with an Extreme Bowstring. This is the first bow I have owned with a cable roller. The factory string is not served where it passes through the roller. Should it be, or is it normal to have un-served string/cable going through the roller? I didn't even think about it until I read something about it on Extreme's website.

I have installed components and tuned my bows many times before, but this will actually be the first time for me to replace my own string and cable on a modern bow. Are there any other considerations I should think about when ordering a new string from them? I am planning on just using Martin's Specs for the length (90" string, 34.5" cable) instead of measuring. I think I will go with the Astro. http://www.extremebowstrings.com/p-157-1-solo-cam-string-and-buss-cable-astro.aspx

Any thoughts on Extreme strings? They seem to get good reviews.

gravedigger
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
you dont need serving on the ccs.just your string is fine.i got wc string/cabel on my 10 bengal and i have the ccs and have had no problems.

bfisher
03-31-2011, 12:37 PM
I've heard good reviews about them, too. Just checked their website and the price is good. I'd go for it. Somebody around here has to be a guinea pig. Just remember to let us in on what you find later.

As for serving? It won't hurt to serve where it passes through the rollers. I would be more inclined to get it served where it rolls over the idler wheel. I'd call Extreme and see what they have to say about it. Afterall, they are the experts.

archerx7
03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
The string and cable both should be served at the CCS and the string should also be served at the idler.

martinbowhunter
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
The string and cable both should be served at the CCS and the string should also be served at the idler.

Is this how it should be on the factory string's also?

archerx7
03-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Is this how it should be on the factory string's also?

IMO they should be served, yes. I know Martin did serve them when the ccs was first introduced in 09, then by mid 2010, they had quit serving the ccs.

Spiker
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM

I have to agree.

martinbowhunter
03-31-2011, 02:30 PM
IMO they should be served, yes. I know Martin did serve them when the ccs was first introduced in 09, then by mid 2010, they had quit serving the ccs.

Thank's. also, what size serving should i use to serve these area's?

Speedykills
03-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Just food for thought,the last bow i had was a browning illusion,and i got new string and cable for it,idler area was served,stock string was not.I called pse about this and they told me not to have serving in that area as derailing problems could happen,also the idler was designed for string not to have serving over idler wheel.I took bow back and had serving over idler removed.
I notice these martinss are same way,just sayin....................:cool:

archerx7
03-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Just food for thought,the last bow i had was a browning illusion,and i got new string and cable for it,idler area was served,stock string was not.I called pse about this and they told me not to have serving in that area as derailing problems could happen,also the idler was designed for string not to have serving over idler wheel.I took bow back and had serving over idler removed.
I notice these martinss are same way,just sayin....................:cool:

Most if not all of the PSE single cam bows have idlers that are designed specifically not to have serving on the string at the idler. The idler tracks on the PSE's are much wider than the tracks on Martins idlers.

bowhntr
03-31-2011, 04:53 PM
i got custom strings built for my firecat at my local bowshop they are served where they go through the roller. i personally like them like this. my old ones made a little bit of noise there my new ones dont.

archerx7
03-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Thank's. also, what size serving should i use to serve these area's?

.014-.017 is fine. I usually use halo .014, 3D or 2X. Any of these will work good.

Feathers
03-31-2011, 05:45 PM
This is all very helpful info. I think I will have them serve the string and cable in those areas. Would there be any performance hits or gains by having so much serving on the string/cable? Bowhntr, I like the idea of any reduced noise.

I have yet to read any negative reviews about the Extreme strings. I am going to try a set. Now the hard part... deciding the colors. :cool:

archerx7
03-31-2011, 05:57 PM
There is no loss of speed by serving the ccs areas. You will have a slight loss by serving the idler, but thats offset by a longer string life.