PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

wisconsinarcher
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
im a new owner of a 2011 martin firecat400 im new to martin bows i was just curious if theres anything anyone would reccomend to quiet it down? ive got bowjacks silencers on the riser limbs string limsaver minis on the rest and sights. Are the new 2011 bows just that loud with the newstring deadstop they designed? would appreciate any feed back! Thanks all!

martinbowhunter
04-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Go and read the "How to quiet an SOS" thread. Also i prefer cat whisker's on my strings. Also, do you happen to know what grain arrow your shooting and what poundage is your DW? And last but not least....is your bow timed right? Oh yeah and, Welcome. You have a very nice bow/shooter.

Simple Life
04-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Welcome and congrats on your new bow.

SL

Money Man
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Start with the SOS about a credit card width from the string. Move around and see how it works for you, then when you are happy, try taking the bowjax off and compare to it with them on. Good luck. Post some pics when you get a chance, we all love to see what everyone else is shooting.

cjchasman
04-01-2011, 03:29 PM
First off...Welcome! Another thread that may be of intrest to you is back on page 5 titled "Loud Bow Solutions". The guys that have good Martin experience on this forum(not me I'm new to Martin also) know what they're talking about so give them some time to help out. The cat whiskers are a good first step. You should try to post pics of the cams; they'll probably need to take a look at them. Good Luck.

archerx7
04-01-2011, 03:35 PM
There are a number of things that can make any bow loud. Check the draw modules to make sure they are tight, check the cam timing to make sure it is right on. Check all your accessories to make sure they are tight. If using a drop away rest, some of them can be quite loud.

As was mentioned in previous posts, adjust the SOS some. Anywhere from just lightly touching the string to a 1/16" away will normally produce the best results. Also as was mentioned already, read my post on Silencing the SOS. The old school cat whiskers seem to be coming back into popularity as they do seem to work better than the other types of string silencers.

I just sold a FC400 yesterday to a guy who up untill then had shot only Diamond single cam bows, he was extremely impressed by how much faster and quieter the 400 was than his other bow.

Welcome to the forum.

wisconsinarcher
04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Go and read the "How to quiet an SOS" thread. Also i prefer cat whisker's on my strings. Also, do you happen to know what grain arrow your shooting and what poundage is your DW? And last but not least....is your bow timed right? Oh yeah and, Welcome. You have a very nice bow/shooter.

I am shootin pretty light arrows with the 100gr tip they weigh 296 grains, im shotin gold tip velocity pro's. i am shootin 68 for dw. and to be honest i have no idea whyou meanis it tined right?

cjchasman
04-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I would say you could use at minimum an additional 100 gr for arrow weight. When you have a 2 cam bow it is critical that they are in proper sequence through the draw and shot if not, from what I understand you will have string slap etc. Again I will say wait for some of the pro's to fully explain.

archerx7
04-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I am shootin pretty light arrows with the 100gr tip they weigh 296 grains, im shotin gold tip velocity pro's. i am shootin 68 for dw. and to be honest i have no idea whyou meanis it tined right?

This is most likley a good bit of the problem, you should be shooting an arrow with a minimum weight of 340 grains with your DW. 68# x 5gr=340grs.

Shooting an arrow below 5gr per # of DW is getting close to dryfiring the bow. I only shoot 60-61#'s and my arrows weigh 370grs.

What spine are those GT's to come in that light ?

HawgEnvy
04-02-2011, 05:18 AM

that's dangerous territory,Bro. Your bow is hating you for this. Bump the arrow weight up by 100gr minimum and you will notice a significant drop in the noise level and your limbs will last longer,too. You really don't want those limbs to explode and embed the cams in your skull,do you? That would be similar to using a shotgun to shoot an axe head...just to put it into perspective for you. I hope your scared now. Just lookin out for you.

BTW,welcome to the forum. Bow pics are required to be a "cool kis". Right Hutch?

HawgEnvy
04-02-2011, 05:23 AM
that's dangerous territory,Bro. Your bow is hating you for this. Bump the arrow weight up by 100gr minimum and you will notice a significant drop in the noise level and your limbs will last longer,too. You really don't want those limbs to explode and embed the cams in your skull,do you? That would be similar to using a shotgun to shoot an axe head...just to put it into perspective for you. I hope your scared now. Just lookin out for you.

BTW,welcome to the forum. Bow pics are required to be a "cool kid" Right Hutch?

"cool kis"? Lol. Fixed it

Arrow Splitter
04-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Now that was funny, but you didn't fix your post.:p

wisconsinarcher
04-02-2011, 09:25 AM
holy crap thats what the guy who sold me my bow recommended for arrows so thats what i wwent with! i can gaurantee i wont be shooting til i get heavier arrows! Thanks everyone i greatly appreciate the help! and thanks for saving me from some sever pain!

martinbowhunter
04-02-2011, 11:41 AM
WOW!!!!! That is dangerous to the max. Sorry i'm late. But yeah, if your gonna keep your DW at 68# than do as everyone else already said.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the forum wisconsinarcher!

HUTCH:cool:

bfisher
04-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I just got off the GT website and for the life of me can't figure out how the OP ever got an arrow that light. By GT's own figures and using a 500 spine the arrow at 27.5", with 3 vanes, standard insert, and 100 gr point still comes up to 306 grains. And as we all know this would be grossly underspined. I think I had a figure of 338 grains for a 400 shaft so I have to ask, "What shaft is being used here?"

MLN1963
04-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Maybe he meant 396 grains, not 296 grains?

HawgEnvy
04-02-2011, 12:41 PM
holy crap thats what the guy who sold me my bow recommended for arrows so thats what i wwent with! i can gaurantee i wont be shooting til i get heavier arrows! Thanks everyone i greatly appreciate the help! and thanks for saving me from some sever pain!

so,EXACTLY what shaft/spine/gpi are you using? Sounds like we're all a bit confused here. What vanes are you using?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Bow pics are required to be a "cool kis". Right Hutch?
I like BOW PICS HawgEnvy NOT COOL KIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHATS UP WITH THAT HawgEnvy!!! LOL. :p:p:rolleyes:

Hutch:cool:

Simple Life
04-02-2011, 12:59 PM
I like BOW PICS HawgEnvy NOT COOL KIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHATS UP WITH THAT HawgEnvy!!! LOL. :p:p:rolleyes:

Ohh Hutch likes kiss's lol

archerx7
04-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I just got off the GT website and for the life of me can't figure out how the OP ever got an arrow that light. By GT's own figures and using a 500 spine the arrow at 27.5", with 3 vanes, standard insert, and 100 gr point still comes up to 306 grains. And as we all know this would be grossly underspined. I think I had a figure of 338 grains for a 400 shaft so I have to ask, "What shaft is being used here?"

Barry, I got curious myself and ran the same shaft as you but with a 100gr glue in point and got 297grs. I really hope he's not using the 500 shaft at 68#.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Ohh Simple Life likes kiss's lol
What up with that!!!!!:rolleyes::p

Simple Life
04-02-2011, 01:19 PM
What up with that!!!!!:rolleyes::p

Dang,I will find out how you do that:cool:

Arrow Splitter
04-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Dang, I won't ever find out how you do that:cool:

Yeah, you are right SL, you probably never will.:p:D:D

martinbowhunter
04-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Dang,I need to show you guy's my bedazzled quiver:cool:

Oh........Care to post a pic?????

HawgEnvy
04-02-2011, 05:00 PM
so now SL is quivering over a cool kis from Hawg???Dude...

Simple Life
04-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow step away for a minute and look what happens...............:rolleyes:

martinbowhunter
04-02-2011, 05:24 PM
so now SL is quivering over a cool kis from Hawg???Dude...

LMAO.........Ha ha ha

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-02-2011, 05:29 PM
wow that's deeeeep!!!!

Simple Life
04-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Talk about getting off topic....................:p

Simple Life
04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Oh........I have one too,do you want to see a pic?????

See it must be trendy.:)

Simple Life
04-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah, you are right SL, you probably will.:p:D:D

Thank you ;)

wisconsinarcher
04-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Barry, I got curious myself and ran the same shaft as you but with a 100gr glue in point and got 297grs. I really hope he's not using the 500 shaft at 68#.

i spoke with the sportsshop i bot my bow from today and its a 500 shaft with glue in tip so needless to say im getting 2 dozen new arrows for nothing and new limbs for my bow and hes goin throughthe cams and mudules aswell! Thanks everyone for the advice and help i knew something wasnt good somewhere in my setup!

martinbowhunter
04-02-2011, 08:03 PM
i spoke with the sportsshop i bot my bow from today and its a 500 shaft with glue in tip so needless to say im getting 2 dozen new arrows for nothing and new limbs for my bow and hes goin throughthe cams and mudules aswell! Thanks everyone for the advice and help i knew something wasnt good somewhere in my setup!

Awesome for you man. I know i would have asked for a new bow if i was told by the shop that those were the arrow's for that setup. Let us know what kinda arrow's you will be getting.

martinbowhunter
04-02-2011, 08:05 PM
See it must be trendy.:)

LOL. oh so you finally figured it out and you chose me as your first victim?????:p

Simple Life
04-03-2011, 06:05 AM

Glad he is fixing you up,that is a nice bow you have.Sorry about getting off topic a little,crazy bunch on here:pStick around,good place to hang out.

archerx7
04-03-2011, 06:35 AM

Glad to hear they are going to take care of you this way. Not knowing how many shots you've put through the bow with these light arrows, you may also want to ask about the strings. The HammerHead strings are good quality, so if you've only put a couple dozen shots on them you should be ok, but if you have a couple hundred shots on them with these arrows you may want to ask about replacing the strings also.

You never stated your draw length, but at 68#'s you are going to need either a 400 or 350 spine arrow, I personally would lean more towards a 350 spine at that draw weight.

Arrow Splitter
04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
LOL. oh so you finally figured it out and you chose me as your first victim?????:p

This is my last post that's off topic; he didn't figure it out.:rolleyes::p My apologies for going off topic.:)

gravedigger
04-03-2011, 02:02 PM

wow just steped in on this and welcome to the forum.thats good the shop is going to take care of you,and veryglad you came to the forum befor somthing went really wrong and put you in the hospital.good luck and enjoy your new bow.keep us posted on what all cahanges were made ad post some pics..

HawgEnvy
04-03-2011, 02:37 PM

that's the kind of shop we like to hear about. Very cool that they're willing to correct issues they caused by mis-informing you. I'd stick with them

martinbowhunter
04-03-2011, 03:04 PM
that's the kind of shop we like to hear about. Very cool that they're willing to correct issues they caused by mis-informing you. I'd stick with them

x2 yes they messed up. But they are doing everything they can to make it right. Thumbs up to the shop. We all make mistakes, some just bigger than others.

boobowbender
04-03-2011, 09:29 PM
so hey there fellow cheesehead. any chance you are willing to tell me what part of the state the shop is that set you up? Looking to buy a new bow in the next month and want to make he knows what hes doing.
BTW anyone have any opinions whether i want the firecat or the onza?

gravedigger
04-03-2011, 09:34 PM
so hey there fellow cheesehead. any chance you are willing to tell me what part of the state the shop is that set you up? Looking to buy a new bow in the next month and want to make he knows what hes doing.

welcom to the forum....what you doing hunting or target.i here and this just what i here that the firecat is what you want for the hunt and onza is for the 3d.so i will say firecat.but really you just need to grab them bows take some shots and see what you like best.make sure that bow is tuned and set up for you befor you leave that store.and happy hunting or target shooting.do you own any bows right now or are you just getting into it.if you got a bow post a pic let us know what you got.or if you want to get some good advice from some people start a thread on the forum so everyone can tell you some good info on the bows.and that way you will actualy get the info you need insted of going on another thread.s post a thread tell us abit about your self and ask some questions

martinbowhunter
04-03-2011, 11:33 PM

Welcome, i too am sneaking a peek at the two bows you mentioned. I will tell you i am leaning toward the firecat 400 (were you looking at the firecat 400 or the 360?) And i will get it, just as soon as i find a way to sneak it into the house....lol Try telling us what you would prefer to have in a bow and we might be able to help you out a lil more.