PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Peep Sights Rotate During The Draw?

MLN1963
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm curious why the peeps seem to rotate on some bows and not on others. Mine rotates but I see pictures of some bows and the sight and D-Loop are straight back.

cjchasman
04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I believe it has to do w/ how stretched in your string is. Hutch will be able to really tell you. But depending on the quality of string and pre stretch of string when it is made a peep will react to the string wrap rotation under draw. Average strings will stretch more thus rotate/tighten a wrap more. The peep is mid string between wraps so when the wraps tighten and roll so does the peep.

And I may be all wrong!:D

Arrow Splitter
04-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I believe it has to do w/ how stretched in your string is. Hutch will be able to really tell you. But depending on the quality of string and pre stretch of string when it is made a peep will react to the string wrap rotation under draw. Average strings will stretch more thus rotate/tighten a wrap more. The peep is mid string between wraps so when the wraps tighten and roll so does the peep.

And I may be all wrong!:D

X2 Right on.:cool:

A.S

MLN1963
04-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Just for clarification, I'm talking about rotating during the draw cycle, not from stretching after repeated use.

My peep is nearly on the back side of the bow but rotates to nearly the proper position at full draw. I'm still "training" it for now. :)

Arrow Splitter
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Just for clarification, I'm talking about rotating during the draw cycle, not from stretching after repeated use.

It's the same idea during the draw cycle. Think about it. You pull on the string, which tightens it up, and causes the peep to rotate.

A.S

archerx7
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM

My peep is nearly on the back side of the bow but rotates to nearly the proper position at full draw. I'm still "training" it for now. :)

Usually when a peep has a consistant rotation during the draw cycle its caused by one of the servings being wound on in a different direction than the others.

If the peep rotation is inconsistant or keeps moving, its normally because the strands are still stretching.

MLN1963
04-02-2011, 11:08 AM
How do you handle getting it to turn that last 1/4 turn? It seems that is where I'm at right now.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-02-2011, 11:52 AM
How do you handle getting it to turn that last 1/4 turn? It seems that is where I'm at right now.
Take some pressure of the string, pull the peep out and resplit the string a 1/4" closer to where in needs to be.

Hutch:cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
The reason the peep turns is, if either of the end servings is opposite of the way the string is twisted, when you pull the string back to draw, it is basically stabilizing one side and untwisting the other. Thus causing the peep to turn.

MLN1963
04-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Take some pressure of the string, pull the peep out and resplit the string a 1/4" closer to where in needs to be.

Does it have to have exactly the same number of strands on each side? Them small strands will be hard to count! Anyone now how many strands are in the HH strings?

MLN1963
04-02-2011, 12:19 PM
The reason the peep turns is, if either of the end servings is opposite of the way the string is twisted, when you pull the string back to draw, it is basically stabilizing one side and untwisting the other. Thus causing the peep to turn.

I bet Hutch ~n~ Son strings won't be built that way!

MLN1963
04-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Oh yeah, for now I cheated a little and tightened my d loop a bit to the side. At the moment it pulls the peep into position pretty well.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-02-2011, 12:57 PM
That is another way you can train your peep, is turning your d loop.
As for string count in hh strings it is 20 to 24

SonnyThomas
04-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Having two tone strings doesn't go well with moving strands - looks icky. What I do here is adjust from the bottom cam. Beings the distance to the peep in longer this is called fine tuning. However, with the two tone strings and peep rotating during the draw I twist in which ever direction in order for the peep to twist straight. I've had strings that did this and perfectly rotate to center throughout the strings life.

MLN1963
04-05-2011, 07:30 PM
This peep is driving me batty! It is totally inconsistent. I shot it without a peep near 100 times to stretch the string then I installed the Fletcher tru-peep and BowJax string silencers (two in string, two in cables) and shot it.

I made one twist adjustment and I thought I was good to go. Well it started to under rotate. I followed Sonny's advice and shot it to make sure the strings settled in. I thought it was okay after that and then things have gone down hill from there. Sometimes it under rotates and sometimes it over rotates. I have not been able to break the code on what is causing it act this way. I'm getting really frustrated (being kind here) and ready to throw a tube type sight on it. What would cause it act this way?

ElkSlayer
04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
How do you have it tied in ? I use a slider type serving wrap above an below once i get peep in place run them together tight as I can. Doing a half twist on the long end of the string as sonny said.. sometimes i can get a small ajustment buy rolling the top or bottom slider around the string while twisting peep in direction it needs to go.... hardest part is remembering waht wahy to twist it...lol alos be sure D loop it tight on string.. if not it can move around the string and cause your peep to lose alignment.... good luck keep at it you will get it set ... Single Cam bow rotate the srting...dule cam's not so much my cougar sits stright and stays that way while my Other sets sideways..But is dead on at full draw:cool:

MLN1963
04-06-2011, 04:00 AM
I have my peep tied in like this. Peep Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1wEyikOrhA). I don't have any serving above or below the peep, just like in the video. Honestly I was waiting on that to see if I wanted to stick with this peep, a bigger peep or a different brand all together. I didn't think that would make a difference.

SonnyThomas
04-06-2011, 05:46 AM
This peep is driving me batty! It is totally inconsistent. Sometimes it under rotates and sometimes it over rotates. I have not been able to break the code on what is causing it act this way. I'm getting really frustrated (being kind here) and ready to throw a tube type sight on it. What would cause it act this way?

??? Not saying it is, but check the fit between string and arrow nock and then if you're nocking the arrow the same way each time. What I ran into, I had a kid with a overly thick center serving and he would snap the arrow on 90 degrees from the arrow rest and then move the arrow over. Of course, this twisted the string and nothing would repeat due to either nocks or how he drew (slow to fast).

MLN1963
04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
The nocks may be snug? How do you tell? The serving is Martin and the nocks are Gold Tip GT. Please don't tell me I need to reserve my brand new string.

SonnyThomas
04-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Nocked, the string should be able to be twisted and the string return.

Money Man
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
The nocks may be snug? How do you tell? The serving is Martin and the nocks are Gold Tip GT. Please don't tell me I need to reserve my brand new string.

If the nock is too snug, you could get new nocks, or try sanding down the inside of the nock slightly. Although it would be tough to get all your nocks sanded the exact same, it might be easier to re-serve or find nocks that fit your string better.

archerx7
04-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I have my peep tied in like this. Peep Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1wEyikOrhA). I don't have any serving above or below the peep, just like in the video. Honestly I was waiting on that to see if I wanted to stick with this peep, a bigger peep or a different brand all together. I didn't think that would make a difference.

Watched that video...........that's going to make for a real pain to get that peep out if you do decide to change it. Always put your knots at the top or bottom of the peep groove so you don't have to cut near the string if you need to remove the serving to get the peep out.

ElkSlayer
04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
watched the link have to agree looks like it will be a pain to remove along with it cant be moved... it may be part of the troble and good call on the tight Nock Sonny.. That would give a guy fits if you nock your arrow sort or angled then move it on to rest..
Try the nock fit test and wrap some serving around srting above and below peep.. slide together close up that string gap around peep...good luck

SonnyThomas
04-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Peep creep - peep moving over a period of time. Some of this is the string twist under the servings, usually the center serving. Ex; twist the string and over time the twist lengthens out under the serving.

MLN1963
04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
??? Not saying it is, but check the fit between string and arrow nock and then if you're nocking the arrow the same way each time. What I ran into, I had a kid with a overly thick center serving and he would snap the arrow on 90 degrees from the arrow rest and then move the arrow over. Of course, this twisted the string and nothing would repeat due to either nocks or how he drew (slow to fast).

Sonny, I think you nailed it. Interestingly the nock fits tight ONLY in the exact section that it sits when nocked. Above or below it slides on the string but hit that section and it gets tight. What causes that, deformed from spreading the d-loop? What do I do next? Make sure I only load the arrow the same way every time and from the same place?

MLN1963
04-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Watched that video...........that's going to make for a real pain to get that peep out if you do decide to change it. Always put your knots at the top or bottom of the peep groove so you don't have to cut near the string if you need to remove the serving to get the peep out.

I thought about this while I was doing it. Being new at it I went just like the video even though in the back of my head I was saying you should do this on the top or bottom. I was smart enough to recognize the potential problem, but dumb enough to do it anyway. Sheez, what a rookie move!

MLN1963
04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Sonny

Where does this leave me, reserving the center section of my string?

SonnyThomas
04-09-2011, 05:10 AM
You could try a different brand nock first. If the same, yes, I'd reserve. And re-serving the center serving is a good place to start learning serving. Me, wanting all I can get from my bow, I serve just enough to get the job done. Meaning, I serve about 4 inches and no more. Less weight, more get and go.

BUT, if the nock is tight between the knots of the loop then the loop has forced the serving together. In other words, the serving slipped.

MLN1963
04-09-2011, 05:48 AM
That makes perfect sense Sonny. Thanks for making me understand what happened. Reserve it is.

I can get a bobbin(?) next week or I can try serve it without this weekend. Can it be done easily enough without the bobbin or should I not even try? Can I get it tight enough without the bobbin is what I was wondering?

elkslayer4x5
04-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Very hard to remain consistent serving by hand, much easier with a serving tool. You'll want your center serving tight, to prevent the slipping that happing now. You'd need three hands to hold your string in place and to wrap the serving tight by hand.

MLN1963
04-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Understood!

Nemesis03
04-09-2011, 10:49 AM
One trick I learned the hard way is it's very important to serve a peep in the same direction as the string twist. So many times I've been frustrated with a string until I was given this tip. I find I can make it work on almost any string now.

MLN1963
04-09-2011, 12:27 PM
One trick I learned the hard way is it's very important to serve a peep in the same direction as the string twist. So many times I've been frustrated with a string until I was given this tip. I find I can make it work on almost any string now.

Nemesis

Does that mean you start at the Y in the string on one side of the peep and end at the Y in the string on the other?

MLN1963
04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Nemesis

Does that mean you start at the Y in the string on one side of the peep and end at the Y in the string on the other?

:confused:

MLN1963
04-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Nemesis

Nemesis you there?

Anyone?

Nemesis03
04-11-2011, 09:21 PM
If the string twist is in clockwise twist, starting below the peep I serve clockwise and vice versa. Sometimes when my brain goes into vapor lock I find myself having to reserve 2-3 times. Seems like every time I study the twist direction I see it a diferent way. I nail it about every other time.

MLN1963
04-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Sonny, your diagnosis seems to have been spot on. Thanks!

I have things under control at the moment. I reserved the string and the nocks don't bite down as hard anymore. I haven't shot a lot of arrows but the peep seems to have stabilized.

Having only a small amount of serving has also stopped the peep from rotating 90 degrees during the draw. It might rotate a little now but it is significantly less. I had serving from above the SOS to below where the optional lower string stop can go. I don't remember how many inches that was but it was quite a lot. I think I have a total of 4.5" now and that is really more than needed.

MLN1963
05-04-2011, 10:16 AM

I took the peep out to send the bow to Martin. It wasn't too hard working around the string, no harder than cutting serving loose. When I get the bow back I will put the knot at the top or bottom like you say.

I do have a question though. Are you able to melt the peep's knot ends while the sting is on the bow or are you taking it off? I'm trying to envision how you are doing this? The Y shape of the strings around the peep would make it interesting to get at the knots. Am I missing something?