PDA

View Full Version : String Silencers

Ehunter
04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Ok, I had an idea pop into my head, for good or bad. Does anyone see a problem with putting string silencers like cat whiskers between the speed nocks and the cam? Like RIGHT above the speed nocks? All of them I ever see are below the speed nocks. I was thinking that mounting them higher might reduce the amount of speed loss, while still allowing vibration control. I know they don't slow a bow significantly, but if it does work, it's worth saving a few fps. Anyone ever try it, or see anything wrong with it?

bfisher
04-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Do you own or have access to a chrono? If so here's another thought. Remove the speed nocks altogether and use your string silencers in their place? Might get the best of both ideas.

Ehunter
04-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Good thought Barry. I do have a chrono, so I can give that a try. I almost wondered about using oversized nocks to attach the whiskers. Make it into something like those "speed spyders" I see in Cabelas. I guess that gives me something more to play with and see what works best. lol

HawgEnvy
04-03-2011, 02:28 PM
it's worth trying since you have the chrono. Let us all know the test results.

Ehunter
04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
It'll be a few days before I get time to play around with it. Storms and work are going to slow me down some. I will post results as soon as I get some though.

Bowzmart.com
04-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Another way you can quieten your bow down a lot and not slow it down is put silencers on the cables. They cables only move an inch or two back and forth and so the silencers won't slow them, but they do vibrate a lot during the shot. If you watch slow motion film of a bow shooting you'll see they move more than you would expect.

Let us know what you determine with speed loss on the silencers. My experience has usually been 2-4 fps.