PDA

View Full Version : building a smoker

gravedigger
04-03-2011, 09:09 PM
so im going to be building a new smokehouse with my brother-inlaw.the one's we have at the farm are really old and just dont hold heat like they used to so it time for a new one.we are building it to smoke 30 to 50 pounds of jerky,maybe more.so do you guys have any ideas on smokehouses.i dont know if there are differnt types or styles.have any of you made some custom stuff like this.if you want share some ideas.who knows someone out ther just might have an idea for the best smoke house around.just wanted to get some input from some fellow hunters.i have not built one befor and i dont know if we are going of the old ones.let me know what ya think.and aslso feel free to toss in some jerky methods.im allways looking for a new taste.yum yum

martinbowhunter
04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
All i have ever used is old bed frames and metal roofing = done. I have my smoker at my friend's house. i will get some pic's of it next time i go to his house. Tool's needed...A metal chop saw, hand held grinder,Drill and drill bits...for pilot holes,welder,couple hinges....Simple! will get pic's soon.

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 12:12 AM
All i have ever used is old bed frames and metal roofing = done. I have my smoker at my friend's house. i will get some pic's of it next time i go to his house. Tool's needed...A metal chop saw, hand held grinder,Drill and drill bits...for pilot holes,welder,couple hinges....Simple! will get pic's soon.

oh ya...i like pics.i got a feeling this is going to be a fancy smoke house.my brother is a its got to look grat kind of guy.

martinbowhunter
04-04-2011, 12:17 AM
oh ya...i like pics.i got a feeling this is going to be a fancy smoke house.my brother is a its got to look grat kind of guy.

LOL. I promise nothing fancy. Work's like a charm though. Did i mention i was kinda big? it will hold 500# of meat at once....lol......crazy yeah.

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 12:20 AM
LOL. I promise nothing fancy. Work's like a charm though. Did i mention i was kinda big? it will hold 500# of meat at once....lol......crazy yeah.

now thats what i call a smoker.dam thats big.you feeding the whole town.:D:p

martinbowhunter
04-04-2011, 12:36 AM
now thats what i call a smoker.dam thats big.you feeding the whole town.:D:p

LOl. Kinda. I catch alot of pig's. And i used to hate having to do a couple batches just to get the smoking done. So i built a big one to do all the meat at once. As i have said before, i give all my meat away to friend's and family. I can't eat pork and beef anymore:mad: The other reason i decided to go big.was once they legalized hunting wild cattle here. The cattle really fills up the freezers quick

HawgEnvy
04-04-2011, 04:06 AM
why can't you eat pork n beef anymore? If you you don't mind my asking. Can't wait for the smoke house pics. I'm picturing something HUGE

as for ideas,im not sure how they function. Pics would be good so I can come up w something. I'm thinking...maybe build the SH using a 4x6 trailer as the base to make it portable. Angle iron for the frame,flat stock for "studs", pole barn siding...

Skbengal
04-04-2011, 06:39 AM
My buddy built his smoker out of an old fridge.Strip the guts done to the shell,hang your racks and done.Works great.

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 07:27 AM
why can't you eat pork n beef anymore? If you you don't mind my asking. Can't wait for the smoke house pics. I'm picturing something HUGE

as for ideas,im not sure how they function. Pics would be good so I can come up w something. I'm thinking...maybe build the SH using a 4x6 trailer as the base to make it portable. Angle iron for the frame,flat stock for "studs", pole barn siding...

i do have an extra trailer i dont use anymore,thats a fine idea.hmmmmm.take it straight to the hunt and dont waste time..

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 07:29 AM

x2...i gots to know.or not if you dont want to share,its cool

Hit The X
04-04-2011, 08:07 AM
be sure to post Some pics of the new one I am really interested in seeing that . Good luck with your build.

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 08:20 AM
be sure to post Some pics of the new one I am really interested in seeing that . Good luck with your build.

oh i will.but im not sure when the build will begin.it might be a month befor we start.pics will be posted

HawgEnvy
04-04-2011, 08:22 AM
i do have an extra trailer i dont use anymore,thats a fine idea.hmmmmm.take it straight to the hunt and dont waste time..

possible rental to get some extra cash. Alot of guys use old fuel oil tanks for hog roasts. The local deer processor has 5 of them mounted on trailers and rents them out for parties. Not sure what he gets for them but I think I heard $30-50/day.

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 08:27 AM
possible rental to get some extra cash. Alot of guys use old fuel oil tanks for hog roasts. The local deer processor has 5 of them mounted on trailers and rents them out for parties. Not sure what he gets for them but I think I heard $30-50/day.

i dont think my brother is looking to build a roaster.he just wants a new smoker.we have a rotisery and a pig pit.but ya never know the guy is allwas looking to make a buck,even though i will be helping with the build i wont see a dime,but i work for free and everyone knows that.

ElkSlayer
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
old fridge or freezer..work well , know a guy out on the Umqua has done two and they do up salmon like crazy..
Sort of like the trailer idea but Sence you have the place and its notgoing anywhere I would do the Old school Smoke house..right out of the history books.. log cabin style, outer new school inside stainless sheatmetal, maybe even some sort of blower to help move the warm air around..

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 08:36 AM
old fridge or freezer..work well , know a guy out on the Umqua has done two and they do up salmon like crazy..
Sort of like the trailer idea but Sence you have the place and its notgoing anywhere I would do the Old school Smoke house..right out of the history books.. log cabin style, outer new school inside stainless sheatmetal, maybe even some sort of blower to help move the warm air around..

good to here from ya.and old school is what is set up right now.there probly 80+years old or older.ther just rotting out and time for new one,althou it does have a blower it and probly will stil stick with that.are you still moving or all done?..and thought about the fridge but dont want to tare apart the keg-o-rator:p

ElkSlayer
04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Not today buddy...all is squared away for Now...
I would re build .. tare old ones down, and build new on same spot...keep the history thats the wife's family farm right !

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Not today buddy...all is squared away for Now...
I would re build .. tare old ones down, and build new on same spot...keep the history thats the wife's family farm right !

that might just happen.there are no real plans yet on whats going to be done.i was just asked if i want to hel build new somker.so i askd when and it was "befor elk and deer seson",i ask ware and are we going to rebuild and it was"i dont know,i just want better smokehouse".so i thought i would see if anyone had ideas so i could toss them at him and get the ball movin.or at least get it to ware i can do some work...i want jerky a.s.a.p...so we will see whats up when i talk to him next and toss out these ideas.the guy works 16 to 18 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week.just a work-aholic.

martinbowhunter
04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
why can't you eat pork n beef anymore?

doctor's orders! my cholesterol if way off the charts! And he said if i don't change the thing's i eat ASAP then i will more than likely have a heart attack with in the next ten year's. Heres the best part.....I was only 28 year's old when he told me that:mad: So need less to say.....i no longer eat alot of stuff. it's hrad as he** but that's what you get when you don't have the best genes and was raised on pork and beef.....Lucky for me i have an awesome gf, been with her for ten years. And she was right there when the doc told me what he told me......Since then she has done all the special shopping and cooking for me.....Having her around, Theres no way i can cheat myself.........Shes strict to say the least

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
doctor's orders! my cholesterol if way off the charts! And he said if i don't change the thing's i eat ASAP then i will more than likely have a heart attack with in the next ten year's. Heres the best part.....I was only 28 year's old when he told me that:mad: So need less to say.....i no longer eat alot of stuff. it's hrad as he** but that's what you get when you don't have the best genes and was raised on pork and beef.....Lucky for me i have an awesome gf, been with her for ten years. And she was right there when the doc told me what he told me......Since then she has done all the special shopping and cooking for me.....Having her around, Theres no way i can cheat myself.........Shes strict to say the least

dam.well eat them cheerios i here they do good stuff.well thats what the tv tells me.but really man that sucks.glad your takin care of what ya need to.life is a little better then good meat,well..lol:eek::p:D

martinbowhunter
04-04-2011, 12:34 PM
dam.well eat them cheerios i here they do good stuff.well thats what the tv tells me.but really man that sucks.glad your takin care of what ya need to.life is a little better then good meat,well..lol:eek::p:D

Cheerios have salt in them... Are you trying to kill me?:p I try to stay away from thing's with salt and i do stay away from everything with sugar period. Man i'm starting to sound like an old fart....lol Never thought i wouldbe doing these thing's at my age. What was that gravedigger.....life is better with good meat???.....lol

Money Man
04-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Cheerios have salt in them... Are you trying to kill me?:p I try to stay away from thing's with salt and i do stay away from everything with sugar period. Man i'm starting to sound like an old fart....lol Never thought i wouldbe doing these thing's at my age. What was that gravedigger.....life is better with good meat???.....lol

You noticed what gravedigger does for a living? Maybe he's just drumming up some business. LOL.

martinbowhunter
04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
You noticed what gravedigger does for a living? Maybe he's just drumming up some business. LOL.

LMAO....honestly never crossed my mind but, now that you mentioned it:confused::p I remember him saying he did everything for that company he works for but never would have thought he would help in the "making sure people kick the bucket" part of it...lol.

gravedigger
04-04-2011, 02:11 PM
LMAO....honestly never crossed my mind but, now that you mentioned it:confused::p

well a gravedigger has to feed his family dont he.its just business,nothing personal.;)

ElkSlayer
04-04-2011, 02:40 PM
well a gravedigger has to feed his family dont he.its just business,nothing personal.

Ok so stay away from Salt and digger....lmao:cool::cool:;):p

Arrow Splitter
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Wow, things around here are getting stranger by the day.LOL:p:p

martinbowhunter
04-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Ok pic's as promise. Be nice now. As i said, nothing fancy. EVERY EXTRA HOLE IN THAT SMOKE HOUSE WAS FROM FRIEND WHO NEED TOO LEARN HOW TO SHOOT! lol. And one was from me. So theres no stainless steel in here, Stainless is a pain to work with and expensive. There is supposed to have two hanging rack's in there, but i took out one and put a quick brace in there for transport. the rack's in here are on rollers and can slide in and out. Just to give you an idea on the size, the guy on the right in the last pic is 6'6. any questions ask away. I would have made it bigger but that's all the material i had at the time.

martinbowhunter
04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
And heres that last pic. We will probably be doing a Small batch this weekend, if we do i will post some pics of it half full.

martinbowhunter
04-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Damn. Looking at it now i shold have took a better pic of the rack. But as you can tell the rain was starting to come down and i was rushing. Don't want my camera getting wet.

MLN1963
04-05-2011, 05:03 AM
MBH

Did I hear one time that galvanized metal gives off a poisonous gas when hot or burned?

elkslayer4x5
04-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Yes, galvanisied metal does burn with a noxious green gas that is accumulative, meaning that once you breathe it, it will remain in your lungs. But to get to that point, you have to use a torch, or try to weld it.
However, with that said, we're talking a smoker here, it should never get that hot in the smoker, you want a slow smokey fire, use greener wood, build baffles so that the smoke rolls around your meat. Granddad's salmon smoker was about 8' x 8' with an angled roof, build fire in back, smoke would fill it and continually roll around the fish. Yummy.:)

martinbowhunter
04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
MBH

Did I hear one time that galvanized metal gives off a poisonous gas when hot or burned?

Yes very true, and when the build was complete you do a pre burn...like any other new grill. just to burn off the c**p. Also as elkslyer mentioned it should't get that hot. A smoker only need to be warm to the touch. If it's red hot then you have a problem....lol

gravedigger
04-05-2011, 10:50 AM
well MBH thats a nice smoker.looks like it gets the job done.now im starting to think i want to build 2 or three if were not gioing to restor or rebuild the ones we have.i want one bigger then the one you have and then 2 more going down in size.if i do get my elk,anything thats not steak will be jerky,same for the deer.and i think we are going to be getting some beefers at the farm.if ya cant tell we love jerky.i can eat it all day every day.i take 3 of 4 pounds of jerky with me when i go on my walking hunts,just incase

martinbowhunter
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
well MBH thats a nice smoker.looks like it gets the job done.now im starting to think i want to build 2 or three if were not gioing to restor or rebuild the ones we have.i want one bigger then the one you have and then 2 more going down in size.if i do get my elk,anything thats not steak will be jerky,same for the deer.and i think we are going to be getting some beefers at the farm.if ya cant tell we love jerky.i can eat it all day every day.i take 3 of 4 pounds of jerky with me when i go on my walking hunts,just incase

Just build one giant one! Why would you need two smaller ones also? If you dont have enough meat to make a big batch you can still make your smaller batches in the "big" one?

gravedigger
04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Just build one giant one! Why would you need two smaller ones also? If you dont have enough meat to make a big batch you can still make your smaller batches in the "big" one?

because more is better dont ya know,and i dont eat fish so if one is being used for fish at that time then i have my little one for me.ya i might just have to build one thats a no fish allowd smoker.we have 40 acres its not going to take up any room.plus alot a farmer,redneck,hunting friends who will be wanting to use it or them.i wonder if i should just build a small one in my backyard.just for me kind of thing.i dont know.

martinbowhunter
04-05-2011, 11:29 AM
You don't eat fish and you don't eat onions, man are you missing out on thing's. There is nothing better than raw fish (sashimi) and sliced fresh onions mixed together. Yum Yum Hawaiians call that POKE. ofcourse theres more to the mix. Some sea salt, chopped fresh green onions,sesami oil, soy sause <---we call that shoyu here. Man now you made me hungry.

gravedigger
04-05-2011, 11:33 AM
You don't eat fish and you don't eat onions, man are you missing out on thing's. There is nothing better than raw fish (sashimi) and onions mixed together. Yum Yum Hawaiians call that POKE. ofcourse theres more to the mix. Some sea salt,green onions,sesami oil, soy sause <---we call that shoyu here. Man now you made me hungry.

i dont eat any seafood at al nothing not one little thing,nada,zip zilch.but once a year i do try some smokd salmon,or some crab,lobster and afew others just to see if my taste has changd,and it has not.so its not like i say i dont like seafood or river food and not try it,i do try it and i still dont like it.try to give all food a chance befor i say i wont eat it unless it just looks like puke in a bowl or the smell want to make me throwup.

MLN1963
04-05-2011, 02:15 PM
You don't eat fish and you don't eat onions, man are you missing out on thing's. There is nothing better than raw fish (sashimi) and sliced fresh onions mixed together. Yum Yum Hawaiians call that POKE. ofcourse theres more to the mix. Some sea salt, chopped fresh green onions,sesami oil, soy sause <---we call that shoyu here. Man now you made me hungry.

Drool.........

elkslayer4x5
04-06-2011, 08:15 AM
i dont eat any seafood at al nothing not one little thing,nada,zip zilch.but once a year i do try some smokd salmon,or some crab,lobster and afew others just to see if my taste has changd,and it has not.so its not like i say i dont like seafood or river food and not try it,i do try it and i still dont like it.try to give all food a chance befor i say i wont eat it unless it just looks like puke in a bowl or the smell want to make me throwup.

So what are you gonna say say when I set a plate of fresh abalone in front of you?

gravedigger
04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
So what are you gonna say say when I set a plate of fresh abalone in front of you?

i will say thanks but no thanks,i brought my bbq and some steaks lets just incase.i herd about them resturants that seve steak and fish on the same plate,so i will be adding to your meal and then i turn i will be able to eat mine,i will bring the potatos too,well in about 6 months when i can eat a steak.dam this blender food.:mad::p:D

but dont get me wrong i love fishing,i just give my fish away

ferreyra
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html :D