PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have an issue with glasses while shooting?

spekwa66
04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
I never had to wear glasses before while hunting until about 2 years ago. I never had an issue with them while gun hunting, but I'd rather break them than use them with my bow. I have to wear my contacts or I am screwed. I shoot completely different with glassed.

I know, weird, but I was thinking about it at work today.

HawgEnvy
04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I have no issues with mine. But then I've been wearing glasses since I was 12. You get used to it

cjchasman
04-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I have problems w/ gun and bow. Most guns I have scoped or gone to red dots. But my bows are a real challenge. My eye doctor said he could alter my perscription...it didn't help much. I guess I'm a tweener, right in the middle of I can't see diddley! Went to bigger pins on sights and larger peeps. I guess they make magnifiers for peep and also sight lenses. Wonder how they work? :(

ElkSlayer
04-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Most of my life was glasses free working as a machinist, now its a must If I want to read anything...lol
Found my self walking out to shoot the bow after working on it and relize at full draw the ole bi focals are still on... I was quite pleased when i found it did not afect my shot.. i dont like to shoot with them on but can.

I you "need" them to see pin , or target you can get a verifier peep or a clarifier peep cant remember what one does what? also some sights do except lenes 2x is a good over all, and up to 8x if you dare ..
The ole rag horn uses a 2x w/ #6 ver. an #5 with out lens... I have yet to try the 6x scope I have on a toxonic.

NuttyNative
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I need glasses to read with and forgot to take them off one day while shooting in the back yard. Completely missed the target at 30 yards? Took them off and was back on track. Put them back on and barely hit an 18x18 at 30 again. Also had the same results with sun glasses.
I think I will have major issues in a few years as I have very sensitive eyes to bright light. Now I take my shades off at each target on the course and on some days my eyes are watering before I can make the shot. I think in order for me to shoot with my glasses on I'd need to re-sight my bow.

cyclepath
04-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I can't stand trying to shoot with glasses! I just can't do it and it's driving me nuts! I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do. I'm rubber necking so bad people think I'm trying to scratch something. I don't know if contacts will work for me but I have to try something. Hunting will be here before long and I don't want to be trying to change my habits.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I had glasses but I went to bifocal contacts. Gun or Bow I have no problem

HUTCH:cool:

HawgEnvy
04-06-2011, 01:20 AM
I can't stand trying to shoot with glasses! I just can't do it and it's driving me nuts! I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do. I'm rubber necking so bad people think I'm trying to scratch something. I don't know if contacts will work for me but I have to try something. Hunting will be here before long and I don't want to be trying to change my habits.

you might need to shorten your DL a bit to shoot w glasses. I anchor w kisser @ corner of my mouth, hand @ my jaw line and nose to the string w no issues. But when I had the PSE w 29" DL,i had string contact w my frames. W my DL @ 28.5",no string contact w glasses,a forced but still plenty natural bend in my bow arm,always pushing away w my bow arm and using back tension on release. My groups tightened alot. The 1/2" shorter DL has been a win-win situation all the way around for me. I couldn't believe that 1/2" would make that much difference,but I can't argue w shaft-to-shaft groups.

head to the pro shop and try a shorter DL w your glasses. It just might be the ticket.

spekwa66
04-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Luckily I have had time to get used to my contacts, but the pins still blur when I look at them. The clarifier could be a good idea. Where could I look for those, and how much to they run?

SonnyThomas
04-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Can't see to shoot with them and can't seem to adjust my sight frame without them. :mad: My problem comes from seeing the frame, but "grind" also tapers out at the edge of the glass and distorts things.

Don't have problems with long gun rifle sights, but pistol sights are blurry. And I dearly loved pistol shooting.

I don't understand contact lenses. I can't see (no pun intended) how they correct up close and far out at the same time.

And my eyes? Top left - clear. Top right - slight magnification. Bottom left - 1.75 grind. Bottom right - 1.50 grind.

SonnyThomas
04-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Luckily I have had time to get used to my contacts, but the pins still blur when I look at them. The clarifier could be a good idea. Where could I look for those, and how much to they run?

They usually run around $20 to $25. You need a peep that accepts orifices, like a Super Peep. Yellow takes care of most needs up to a 4X lens. Green for more and Red for 10X. I have a Yellow and it sure clears up the target, but blurs the pin.

Tparrish
04-06-2011, 05:44 AM

I use the verifier from specialty Archers Products, cleared the old sight pin right up. Before just a fuzzy looking green thing.
Tom

elkslayer4x5
04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Specialty Archery makes clairfires and verifiers to fit in their peeps. Each for a differnt purpose. Visit a well stocked Archery shop and you'll be able to see ( pun intended ) what you need. :)

Ehunter
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Once I switched to bifocals, I had all kinds of problems. Finally bit the bullet and got contacts. Had them for about a month, and already it's shrunk my groups by nearly half. I never realised how badly I was fighting with my glasses before. Mine are single vision (not bifocals), and I can see pins and target fine now. Peeps a little fuzzy, but I can see it well enough to center the sight ring in it for the shot. If I want to read to the deer or targets, I do have to take along reading glasses though. lol

spekwa66
04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Once I switched to bifocals, I had all kinds of problems. Finally bit the bullet and got contacts. Had them for about a month, and already it's shrunk my groups by nearly half. I never realised how badly I was fighting with my glasses before. Mine are single vision (not bifocals), and I can see pins and target fine now. Peeps a little fuzzy, but I can see it well enough to center the sight ring in it for the shot. If I want to read to the deer or targets, I do have to take along reading glasses though. lol

Even with my contacts I get a blur. I am contemplating trying to get bigger pins. I can read to the deer just fine without either lol, but a good story never hurt before anybodys bed time :p

bigbob29
04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
I shoot a cougar elite with fingers barebow for target, and a Razor X SE with release, sights etc for hunting, and while admitting there was a fairly lengthy learning curve now have no problems using glasses. The only issue is when the sun strikes the lens at a certain angle it makes it hard to focus, and being transition lens [ change darkness of lens depending on sunlight]. I anchor with fingers, split, at corner of mouth and string along nose. sights anchor under chin. Wouldnt be able to shoot without them anyway,and dont like contact lens.

cyclepath
04-06-2011, 08:29 PM
you might need to shorten your DL a bit to shoot w glasses. I anchor w kisser @ corner of my mouth, hand @ my jaw line and nose to the string w no issues. But when I had the PSE w 29" DL,i had string contact w my frames. W my DL @ 28.5",no string contact w glasses,a forced but still plenty natural bend in my bow arm,always pushing away w my bow arm and using back tension on release. My groups tightened alot. The 1/2" shorter DL has been a win-win situation all the way around for me. I couldn't believe that 1/2" would make that much difference,but I can't argue w shaft-to-shaft groups.

head to the pro shop and try a shorter DL w your glasses. It just might be the ticket.

Thanks for the advice. I prefer a shorter draw, easier to hold and better all around shooting. I use a backtension during the winter leagues and strap release for hunting. Helps with the target panic. I've gone with a power lens on my viper sight and clarifier in my sa peep and am trying that. Seems to help as long as I'm looking through it but still can't focus on what I'm aiming at unless I'm using it. Not sure what to else to try right now. I'll know more of what I will be able to do after my check up.

HawgEnvy
04-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the advice. I prefer a shorter draw, easier to hold and better all around shooting. I use a backtension during the winter leagues and strap release for hunting. Helps with the target panic. I've gone with a power lens on my viper sight and clarifier in my sa peep and am trying that. Seems to help as long as I'm looking through it but still can't focus on what I'm aiming at unless I'm using it. Not sure what to else to try right now. I'll know more of what I will be able to do after my check up.

tell me about your power lense for your viper sight. I've got a viper H100 that accepts lenses,but not sure where to get them or of the price. I'm thinking a 2x would be fine but not sure. I'd like to bring the target into focus a little better @ 35yds and beyond

cyclepath
04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
tell me about your power lense for your viper sight. I've got a viper H100 that accepts lenses,but not sure where to get them or of the price. I'm thinking a 2x would be fine but not sure. I'd like to bring the target into focus a little better @ 35yds and beyond

Viper uses ziess lens for their sights. There are other lens that will work just as well for 1 3/4" sight housings. The ziess lens run about 65 bucks and can be had at bow hunters supply store. Bow hunters super store has some cheeper lens that should work. Clarifiers run about 25 to 30 bucks. I've seen some setups on at for sale but they go pretty fast, E-bay has a few different ones if you type in "2X lens" or what ever you want. I have a 4X lens in mine with a #1 clarifier. Seems alittle weak to me but does help. I'm going to get some other lens and clarifiers to see how they work (6X & 8X lens and #2 & #3 clarifiers.) Can't have too much to play with.

minnie
04-08-2011, 12:01 AM
i wear multifocals to drive, to work, read, watch tv and to shoot barebow. no problems. bought the smallest (rimless at lower and inner edge) frames i could find, to accomodate my high finger shooting anchor. transition lenses are good, but often not quite dark enough in full sun. sun visor helps with this, and also when shooting in the rain. using binoculars for 3d while wearing glasses was difficult at first.