PDA

View Full Version : The other type of bow

Simple Life
04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
So,my Dept of Natural resources has introduced Crossbows into hunting season this fall.
Not in the early bow,but in gun season for now,but will eventually be put in early bow season.Do you agree they should be classed in with the verticle bow?Lets be civil on this topic;)

Lung Buster
04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
i am against crossbow hunting! new jersey allowed crossbow hunting this year! everyone who shouldn't be in the woods was out there this year and here in jersey bow season and crossbow are at the same time! if i wanted to use a gun i would just use a gun! don't get me wrong i think some people with an illness or a handicap should be allowed to use them but not any joe shmoe! to me there is nothing like getting a nice buck twenty yards from you and drawing the bow back and making the perfect shot with out him ever knowing your there! that is HEAVEN to me!!!!!!!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I have had a cross bow in the shop for a string. I went out to test it and found they aren't anything special. So I don't think much of them, I think they are good for those who are handicapped.

Hutch :cool:

Ehunter
04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I agree with what's been said. Here in Ks, you have to have a special handicapped permit to use a crossbow for anything other than small game and coyotes. Nothing that holds a bow at full or partial draw may be used in taking big game. I have nothing against someone using them during the regular rifle season, but they have no place in early archery season, except as mentioned before. Also brings up another point, whatever happened to muzzle loaders? The things people are shooting now during "primitive arms season" are FAR from a real muzzle loader. Harldy anything can go wrong with them anymore, and they have damn near as good of ballistics as my .308. I don't consider that primitive. Ok, I'm done. lol

bfisher
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I used to think this way, too, but have mellowed to some extent after having worked in a Gander Mt. store and played around with and sold them. Crossbows are not all that easy. They have much higher draw weights. They are heavy and cumbersome. Noisy as hell and bolts coming out of them act just like arrows from a vertical bow. They start dropping like a stone after about 35 yards.

That being said, the real problem is not with the crossbows themselves, but the mentality of the people who buy them. Most are gun hunters looking for an easy way to get more meat in the feezer. They have no idea of the drawback and in some cases don't care. They think those thing are like rifles in that they think 60, 70 yard shots are the norm. They take no time to get educated and like I said, they don't care anyway.

Another thing I found out about them after repairing and sending them back to their respective manufacturers for repair. There are only two good brands out there. Ten Point and Excaliber. Horton and Barnett I wouldn't waste the effort to take a dump on let alone buy one. Parker might be OK now, but used to have limb problems, but they aren't a major player.

As for the disabled or handicapped shooter? I got no beef with this. It's hard for me to make judgement on some 80 year old guy who has bow hunted for 50 years and can't draw a bow any more and just can't give it up yet. Hey, he's paid his dues. It's those who are too damned lazy to put in any time with archery gear that I feel should not be out in archery season to begin with.

spekwa66
04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I personally do not have a problem with them at all. Here in Ohio they are legal for anyone to hunt with. I will say that more people that I have seen either shoot traditional, or compound over a crossbow. A crossbow is what I started hunting with when I was 9. I shot my first deer at 8 with a shotgun, and wanted to bow hunt with my dad the next fall, so he bought me a crossbow. I will probably start my kids with a crossbow (if I ever have any) just to get them into the woods as much as possible. My wife started hunting last year and didn't want to take out a crossbow because she said it was too much like a gun. I also have to say that I love when people with disabilities are still able to get out in the field. I am all about introducing new people to the hunting community, and if it takes a crossbow to do it, then so be it.

HawgEnvy
04-07-2011, 07:10 PM
unfortunately, they're legal for all seasons now in Michigan. It used to be by handicap permit only and a written statement from your Dr. People w physical conditions that don't permit the use of archery tackle should be the only ones allowed. I'm not a hater of any form of legal hunting, but I don't have to agree with it either. There are to many idiots toting crossbows. I've actually heard guys asking the clerks at Walmart why they didn't stock "Bowrifles". I wanted to slap the stupid out of 'em.
Muzzleloaders? They definitely don't fit the primitive weaponclassification like they used to. I have to say I agree with using these,though. The southern half of MI is shotgun zone,northern half is rifle zone. I can get extended range w more accuracy than I get w my Mossberg 12g pump. This will be my first season using a muzzleloader. I haven't hunted w a gun in years. I decided to buy the muzzleloader so I can hunt a particular piece of land. Landowner request if I want to hunt the property. I got the ML for less than the price of a rifled slug barrel for my 12g.

gravedigger
04-07-2011, 07:12 PM
for sure leave the crossbow to people with a real handicap.but thats just what i think is fare.we as bowhunters baust A$$ to get close to the animals.crossbow these days got a bit pow behind them.leave it to the handicap

rpalt1
04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Alot of well spoken points. I'm against them only because of what bfisher said, it's not the bow but the idiots who use them thinking they can shoot 60 to 70 yards. make ok for handicap hunting but thats it

Speedykills
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Ya its season wide here in oklahoma too,my fellings is if it's legal use it.I personely dont think there much of a difference of someone new walking into a bow shop a week away from deer season buying a bow to use it opening day.As far as im concerned i would rather see somebody do this with a crossbow than a compound bow.So really i see nothing wrong with crossbows.

dragonsfire311
04-08-2011, 12:04 AM
here there is a crossbow only season on private law, use during regular archery is handicap only, and anyone can use them during general gun as well. don't really have a problem with them. my father in law uses one because he can't draw a vertical bow anymore and has killed many deer,hogs, and 1 turkey with it.

Money Man
04-08-2011, 05:25 AM
I wanted to slap the stupid out of 'em.

Sorry HawgEnvy, but I work in corrections so I am a firm believer you can't fix stupid.
As for crossbows, NY has been working on getting crossbows allowed for hunting. I actually read the draft of the legislation to allow them. They decided to allow them primarily thinking that all the hunters would want to do this, so the state figured how much revenue they could draw from sales tax of the weapon and the hunting license. They planned to attatch the crossbow to the muzzleloader season which runs after gun season. The thinking seemed to be that it was most like a muzzleloader as there is a round pre-loaded and delivered by trigger pull and it is single shot. I think this is the best place to put crossbows, but I also agree that there is nothing primitive about muzzleloaders anymore.

straightshooter
04-08-2011, 06:34 AM
I live in Ga. Our state was the First to legalize the use of X-bows during archery season . Do I think it's considered archery ? YES ! with the new technology, It is as safe as any archery equiptment. As far as handicap people are concerned, I think the archery world has been good to them , It gets people back in the woods that used to not be able. I sell Parker Bows also, and they now have the only self-cocking bow on the market (CONCORDE) it can be used by a one - armed man sitting in a wheelchair ..tell me what kinda market that will bring back to the sport. I do agree that some Idiots should not even be allowed in the woods with even a pee shooter,tthe ones who take unethical (TOO LONG) shots .Primative ...Lets face it , how many of you take your trucks and cell phones to the woods . Go back to medivial times and look at the " PRIMATIVE " weapons used then , now make your argument.

ElkSlayer
04-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Having shot some Cross bows You can keep um.. I can out shoot one anyday so can you guys .. so if a new guy wants to think it will be a better choice let him.. We do not allow them at all in any season here and one day im sure it will be changed... and By all means If you have put in the stand time an wore out a few pair of boots stalking your prey and just cant pull a bow anymore You should beable to use a cross bow if you want.. on this line I also beleave a Hunter should have to prove their abilty.. we have a master hunter program that does just that... qualifying with wepon of choise rifle is 3 shots off hand @ 100yds must be no more then a certian size group( cant remember now) archery is 3 @ 30 yds in a 4" group easy enough right well some just can do it.. Now some have brought up the "Primitive" hunting of muzzleloader well come on out but leave your 209 ignition at home rip of the fiber optic sights aswell... thats right folks if it is a modern smoke pole your hunting the center fire season.. Flint lock an percussion caps only for muzzle loader seasons..

usafplumber
04-08-2011, 07:00 AM
I agree with what's been said. Here in Ks, you have to have a special handicapped permit to use a crossbow for anything other than small game and coyotes. Nothing that holds a bow at full or partial draw may be used in taking big game. I have nothing against someone using them during the regular rifle season, but they have no place in early archery season, except as mentioned before. Also brings up another point, whatever happened to muzzle loaders? The things people are shooting now during "primitive arms season" are FAR from a real muzzle loader. Harldy anything can go wrong with them anymore, and they have damn near as good of ballistics as my .308. I don't consider that primitive. Ok, I'm done. lol

when it comes to the muzzle loaders i agree i hail from idaho and there they keep the the muzzle loader season to what it used to be only side lock rifles flint or cap, no scopes, no jacketed bullets,no powder pelletts , not sure on the fiber optic sights the way it should be .and with cross bow keep them for the handicap.

elkslayer4x5
04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
It's ok with me if you choose to hunt with one of those clubs, but I think that Barry had nailed it. Its the mentality of those who are buying them under the misconception that they are bow/rifles who are going to cause problems by taking ill-advised shots. Hopefulloy we won't see an increase in wounded game animals, but that is my main concern.

bfisher
04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
I do tend to agree with the majority about modern mussle loaders. Here in Pa. they have a primitive season where muzzle loaders are a choice, but they must be round ball, open sights, and flintlock only. Then there is a later season where it's wide open, so to speak. IMO these modern ones have gotten to be nothing more than single shot rifles.

I'll tell you guys this, and it's already been brought up. Crossbows are eventually going to be legal almost everywhere one of these days. There are getting to be less and less hunters so DNR's or Game Commisions are seeing less revenue from license sales and their costs of doing business isn't going down. The state legislatures see the sales tax revenue from not just crossbows, but all the accessories. Add the two together and it only makes sense for them to legalize crossbows, modern muzzle loaders or anything else that can add to the state budget.

It's just something we have to learn to live with. My only hope is that they also institute some form of required education to those who have aspirations of buying and using such weapons. The game we hunt at least deserve that much respect.

alex
04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
What's the story with the handicapped? I have a couple of 150lbs crossbows and it's a pain in the ... back to load them without a rope. It's far more easier to shoot a 60# bow. And if you have one arm for example the crossbow isn't any better then a vertical bow. I've bought the crossbows before i took my compound bows and after that i haven't shot them much. In the matter of fact i want to get rid of a almost unused Barnett QUAD400 and use the money for a good recurve :p

MLN1963
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I'll tell you guys this, and it's already been brought up. Crossbows are eventually going to be legal almost everywhere one of these days. There are getting to be less and less hunters so DNR's or Game Commisions are seeing less revenue from license sales and their costs of doing business isn't going down. The state legislatures see the sales tax revenue from not just crossbows, but all the accessories. Add the two together and it only makes sense for them to legalize crossbows, modern muzzle loaders or anything else that can add to the state budget.

They just made crossbows legal for use by all during archery season in Oklahoma. Previously it was for the handicapped only. My understanding is that it had to do with the number of deer, not revenue, that drove the decision to allow the use of crossbows by all. They want more people out hunting deer. Last year a person could have taken a total of seven deer in Ok if they used all the hunts available to them (gun, archery, holiday).

Personally, I don't see crossbows as a problem or threat. In the past a crossbow may have held a decisive advantage over a compound bow, but now the advantage if any, is slight IMO. It would be just as easy to say our modern compond bows don't meet the intent of a primative weapon either. We could be regulated to longbows and wooden arrows if they wanted it that way.

ElkSlayer
04-08-2011, 12:19 PM
It would be just as easy to say our modern compond bows don't meet the intent of a primative weapon either. We could be regulated to longbows and wooden arrows if they wanted it that way.

Yep thats why we have a few select area's that are trad ONLY for opeing day archery deer / elk season... best to not get caught with a compound with in the area on that 3 days eather

archerx7
04-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't normally post on these types of threads especially over on AT, but there seems to be quite a few good posts on this one and its remained civil. Ohio has had an open crossbow season as far back as I can remember and it runs right with the regular archery season.

Having worked in one shop for about 8 years and owning my own for 3 years now I have seen both sides, on one hand you have the guys that have never bow hunted but just want to extend their season, some do their homework and understand the weapon and its limitations and others that have no clue and think that it will have the range and effectivness of a slug gun or modern muzzle loader. These are the guys that need shops to give them the info and guidance when they make their puchase so they don't go out and take hail mary shots and expect the deer to drop in its tracks.

The other hand has the handicap, older people, and some women and children that want to continue or get into the sport but don't have the physical abilities to draw and hold a regular vertical bow. An example of this would be my dad who was born and raised on a working farm, he hunted small game most all his life but never got into deer hunting that much as his dad never really got into it much other than a walk through the woods with the shot gun during gun season.

Dad just turned 72 last year and expressed an interest in bow hunting but didn't feel confident in his ability to draw, aim and shoot a vertical bow so he chose to go with a crossbow. After getting him setup and giving him some extensive training and practice with his new Xbow he was able to hold very tight groups out to 30 yards which would be the limit of the shots we can take on his property anyhow. I set him up with my ground blind overlooking some good trails. He never got a shot opportunity last season but he did get to see a lot of deer up close and had a lot of good days in the woods that he would not have gotten if he wouldn't have been allowed to use a Xbow. Hopefully this season will go better for him and he'll get an opportunity to get his 1st archery deer.

Just keep one thing in mind guys, it wasn't that many years ago that us compound shooters were looked down on by the trad guys, and if they would have gotten their way.........none of us would be out in the woods with our compounds. In the end we are all hunters and need to stick together or one of these days none of us will be able to do what we love.

MLN1963
04-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Just keep one thing in mind guys, it wasn't that many years ago that us compound shooters were looked down on by the trad guys, and if they would have gotten their way.........none of us would be out in the woods with our compounds. In the end we are all hunters and need to stick together or one of these days none of us will be able to do what we love.

A tip of my hat to Archerx7. I couldn't have said it better myself!

MLN1963
04-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Yep thats why we have a few select area's that are trad ONLY for opeing day archery deer / elk season... best to not get caught with a compound with in the area on that 3 days eather

I have no problem with a rule such as this. If there is a rule I will follow it. I understand it is a privilege to hunt and don't want to loose that privilege.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Good point and well taken Jim. I never thought to hard on the subject. But I have to agree with you stick together and keep it so all can enjoy the sport. The xbow might be a good way to get my mother inlaw into the sport. 73YEARS of age and still hunts rifle.

Hutch:cool:

Lung Buster
04-09-2011, 01:18 PM
You guys bring up some pretty good points! You have me thinking a little more about it but you won't ever get me to convert!

Simple Life
04-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Wonder if Martin will ever produce a x-bow

gravedigger
04-09-2011, 01:30 PM
the only reson i would buy a xbow is too shoot beer cans off the fence line.other then that i wont hunt with one.but they have some nifty looking ones out there