PDA

View Full Version : What will you do different in bow hunting this year?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
What will you do different in bow hunting this year? I am going to have more stands this year and a blind. A few more places to move around and not have to stay in the same place.

Hutchhttp://www.archerysite.net/vb/images/smilies/cool.gif

Speedykills
04-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Not much really,i have a honey hole now,i had 8 doe to pick from till my 6 pointer came in last year.Spent lots of time and effort to develope this spot too.
I have other places on my properties but this one is a sure thing.......:cool:

HawgEnvy
04-08-2011, 03:15 PM
since my stands were stolen last season and are not likely going to be available to replace them,im going to hunt from brush blinds and do alot of spot-n-stalk through the swamps,creekbottoms and cornfields. If I do get relacement stands I'm going to wire 220v direct as a theft deterrant and maybe some Rambo style boobie traps to further help matters.:cool:

SonnyThomas
04-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Add more tree stands and put the wife's tri-pod to work - found a new areas in the pasture deer have been using - Man, saplings tore up and deer trails like a hog wallow. I'll get some pics....

Simple Life
04-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Put another stand up in a different location.Put something with a roof over my head for rainy days.

cjchasman
04-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Spend more time on stand this year. And, harvest a doe (attempt to); I passed on several last year waiting for those darn antlers. Never got a shot at a mature buck, serves me right.

Rottzilla
04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
HUNT..... as I have not been able to hunt for the last 4 years.:mad: I am going to go this year if it kills me, I'd rather it be the deer and turkeys that die instead of me though. LOL Maybe I might try a tree stand this time out or a ground blind. I have never used either. I am a spot and stalker. Always have been I guess always will be.

Will

HawgEnvy
04-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Spend more time on stand this year. And, harvest a doe (attempt to); I passed on several last year waiting for those darn antlers. Never got a shot at a mature buck, serves me right.

hey,Bro. You can't eat the rack! I absolutely love shooting big mature does. Ya know. The nosy ones that alert every deer in the woods. I'd rather shoot those than bucks. It's more satisfying for me and a bigger challenge. I've got my share of bone though. My biggest is a 3 1/2yr old 11pt.

gravedigger
04-08-2011, 08:23 PM
hey,Bro. You can't eat the rack! I absolutely love shooting big mature does. Ya know. The nosy ones that alert every deer in the woods. I'd rather shoot those than bucks. It's more satisfying for me and a bigger challenge. I've got my share of bone though. My biggest is a 3 1/2yr old 11pt.

getting a doe is harder for you then a buck?man i will trade you..the does will dam near eat out of your hand.it seams like the buck are the hardest to come by around my area.and i too lost about 15 does waiting on that buck last year.this year im getting a doe.

HawgEnvy
04-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I feel stupid for passing up the bucks. That's all I usually see. Spikes on up to 12pt. The 11pt was the biggest in range so far but have had bigger that I couldn't call in. It's a real treat to get a bruiser doe in range. Michigan cornfields nestled in oaks intermingled w swamps and creekbottoms. I love it

NuttyNative
04-08-2011, 09:30 PM
since my stands were stolen last season and are not likely going to be available to replace them,im going to hunt from brush blinds and do alot of spot-n-stalk through the swamps,creekbottoms and cornfields. If I do get relacement stands I'm going to wire 220v direct as a theft deterrant and maybe some Rambo style boobie traps to further help matters.:cool:

Now I like this idea. Hope you come across the stand that was ripped off while your huntin. Would be cool if someone was in it while you took it back :D :D

Lung Buster
04-09-2011, 01:59 AM
This year I am going to hunt with my daughter! She gets her hunting license this year I can't wait!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-09-2011, 05:31 AM
This year I am going to hunt with my daughter! She gets her hunting license this year I can't wait!
That is great! You'll have a great time hunting. I started with my daughter 2 years ago, NH doesn't require a license till they are 16. This year she can get her license. It is fun time.

Hutch:cool:

MLN1963
04-09-2011, 05:33 AM
This year I will go hunting! Last year I didn't have a bow. :cool::p:rolleyes:

MLN1963
04-09-2011, 06:19 AM
i'm building (may sound stupid but i know will work) a milk cow decoy to go kill a speedgoat at my friends dairy farm. :cool:

Speed goat = Antelope?

I've seen hunting shows where thay are basically using a cardboard cow to walk behind. Is that what you are planning? I'm going to beat Hutch to it, post picts when yo are done. :cool:

Nemesis03
04-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Practice from an elavated position alot more prior to the season!!!!

Arrow Splitter
04-09-2011, 07:49 AM
This year I will go hunting! Last year I didn't have a bow. :cool::p

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-cool-smileys-607.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html):rolleyes:

HawgEnvy
04-09-2011, 10:27 AM
thats me and some friends thats was a great week!!! i'm the mexican guy ..left side

whoa! There's alot meat in that pic! I'll bet it's quite tasty

Turkeyflacx2
04-09-2011, 04:26 PM
My plan for this year is to sneak out to hunt elk without my brother. Hes really a good shot on a target but when he gets an animal in front of him----wow he sucks. I mean missed a big ol broadside cow at 15yds..way way over her back. And it wasnt the first time hes choked like that. I love the guy being my brother and all but man I need some meat in the freezer!

bowhonky
04-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Now why in the hell didn't I also think of that! Good idea, the nerve of some.:mad:

cyclepath
04-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Talking with some friends about going out of state to do some elk hunting for a couple weeks. Cheeper the more go, BUT, the more crowded also. I'm going with some different arrows this year for sure. Haven't been too happy with what I've been using. Got a few blinds left from last year that were good spots so just remodel some. The biggest change will be hunting with my firecat all season since I didn't get it till the last few weeks of the season.

cjchasman
04-10-2011, 05:32 PM

I know, never saw rack stew on the dinner table...I have that darn talk w/ myself every year. Sometimes I wonder if I can just one time win an argument, even if it has to be with myself. :rolleyes:

HawgEnvy
04-11-2011, 03:09 AM
My plan for this year is to sneak out to hunt elk without my brother. Hes really a good shot on a target but when he gets an animal in front of him----wow he sucks. I mean missed a big ol broadside cow at 15yds..way way over her back. And it wasnt the first time hes choked like that. I love the guy being my brother and all but man I need some meat in the freezer!

I know exactly how you feel. My older brother is the same way. He's had so many misses and bad hits...ive tried giving him tips on form,release,target panic(actually deer fever),lowering his draw weight,etc. But does he listen? Nooooooooo! I just stopped hunting w him. I couldn't take it anymore.

elkslayer4x5
04-11-2011, 06:51 AM
The only thing I'll be doing any differnt is hunting elk as a resident, have been hunting them as a non-resident for the last 4 years. In Calif, if I got lucky in the elk drawing, my resident tag would have cost me $5 more than the non-resident over the counter elk tag I've been buying. Gonna be about $40 this year. And a whole lot less gas money. :cool:

Rockyhud
04-11-2011, 08:18 PM
My work is likely going to interfere somewhat with bow seasons with a couple of already planned business trips - one in June/July and another in July/August. Then I have trips reports and documents to write and turn in which will take about 2 weeks. That said, it looks like mid-Sep before I'll be "free" enough to spend some time in the woods. Due to these circumstances I decided to pick some game units fairly close (couple of hours drive) so I can bow hunt elk, muley, pronghorn and hopefully bear all in the same region. I have never hunted these units but I'm somewhat familiar with the terrain plus I hope to get at least a couple of scouting trips in this summer.

And if things work out right I hope to rifle hunt elk with my son in a fairly decent draw unit. He's not into archery so he's applied for a bull tag and I hope to get a leftover cow tag. Even if I don't get a cow tag I'll go so I can help him get his elk.

ElkSlayer
04-13-2011, 05:13 AM
1st off I plan on taking a turkey with the bow other then that spend more time in the blind in my honey holes.. got ta love PP rights

MLN1963
04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
PP rights?

gravedigger
04-13-2011, 07:57 AM
PP rights?

i think pp is private property.

ElkSlayer
04-13-2011, 09:09 AM
:cool:Yep.. Infact i just got back form a short scout trip and camra swap, sorry bout the confusion.. just being a lazy typer i contacted a private timber co that has land local and well lets just say I did right buy them and am back now for a 2nd year for all seasons and now have personal phone numbers stored in my cell..for my scouting trips out of seasons. Just in case any workers have questions on Why I am there.. My plan was to hook my son Up for life Or as long as they alow hunters.. They were very pleased with the pictures i sent of last years spring tom and all the other info i passed along..trash i pick up .. trespassers i chased off and reported.. now this year we all have a card to display on rearview....its a short list + the family. ran into a grandson last season, even thanked me for stoping him:cool:;)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I have a ladder stand and AS has a hang on but I think I am going to weld up a few more hang on's. That might help move us around enough.

Hutch:cool:

polaris754
04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
my best case scenario would be not to let them get so close i cant shot them !!!!!! lol :D