PDA

View Full Version : Its turkey time whos hunting the thunder chickens?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
http://www.getsmileyface.com/new/turkey_smileys/6.gif Just wondering who hunts turkey? http://www.getsmileyface.com/new/turkey_smileys/1.gif http://www.getsmileyface.com/new/turkey_smileys/2.gif

Hutch:cool:

Simple Life
04-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Now thats funny,and no I won't be turkey hunting,not legal here yet.

Lung Buster
04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
You can count me in saw a long beard today when I was scouting! I can't wait! I am gonna bust some turkey lungs!

Speedykills
04-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Going out this weekend,scouted a few birds,need to break in the firecat.

cjchasman
04-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Ohioans have another week to wait, but I'll be out there in my blind. Got skunked last year, hope for better results this year.

NuttyNative
04-08-2011, 08:26 PM
The wife & I missed again this year in the draw. Going to Washington either late April or in May. Tons of em' where I use to live.

Spiker
04-10-2011, 06:11 AM
Opened here yesterday. Went out but with 40-50mph winds - not much moving and pretty much impossible to hear/locate anything.
Wind the same this morning so stayed home.
Will be out after them again - if it ever calms down. :mad:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Spiker hope it goes well for ya! I know wind doesn't help.

elkslayer4x5
04-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Took the Grandson out this week-end for an early youth season. Didn't get any birds close Sat. but he did get two shots this morning. I think he got a small case of bird fever, got pretty nervous, missed. But his Dad and I enjoyed it all the same, next week-end opens regular season, so we'll try again, gonna go in and set up a few better blinds. Patterened the birds pretty well over this week-end, so we now know where they'll run for cover, and so we'll set up to intercecpt them. :cool:

rjd
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Been doing it since March 25. Boy does this afflection suck!!!. Got one more week till they start mucking it up with the shotgun hunters. Wish me some luck cause havn't even gotten one close enough to tell if it was a jake or a shooter.!

Ehunter
04-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Spiker, I feel your pain. Went out the last two mornings. 20-30 mph straight winds with gusts up to 45. Saw one Jake this morning in range, but passed on it. Only heard 2 gobbles all weekend. Not a good start to the season. Now, archery only season is over, and it's time for the gun nuts to break out all hell. lol Still get to bow hunt until May 31st though. Good long season here, and a 2 bird limit.

Spiker
04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Our season runs 4-9 to 5-22 but is open for bow, xbow and shotgun the whole time.
1 tom limit. Then the fall season opens 9-1. Any method including rifle and hand gun, either sex.
I will be in your state mid May so maybe I can get one of those flatland gobblers too.

Wind still blowing here...:(

Ehunter
04-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Spiker, We've got plenty of them scattered through most of the state. Biggest numbers are here in the Southeast part though. Easterns in my area, Rios and Merriams in the rest of the state. Where are you going to be coming to?

Spiker
04-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Lehigh. Daughter lives there.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Ehunter, there are a lot of turkey's around here as well and they seem to be coming out of the wood work lately.

Ehunter
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Hutch, they seem to be hiding around here. I think they are scared of getting blown into Nebraska or something. lol Yet another day today of 20-30 mph winds. I did see some out today while driving for work though. Fairly big flocks too, so I'm thinking they just haven't broken up for breeding yet around here. Oh well, still have a month and a half left of season. lol

bowhntr
04-11-2011, 04:51 PM
gotta wait till may 1st here but ive been scouting alot lately, saw a flock with 8 long beards and about 10 hens just over the hill from me. also got permission to hunt a spot ive been seeing turkeys since the end of febuary.

Spiker
04-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Wind quit here today but I had to work.
My brother went out and got his Tom about 30 min after daylight.
WhooHoo!!!
One down for Thanksgiving dinner.

dragonsfire311
04-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Oceola turkeys will drive you insane here:mad:. will try again in fall:D

ElkSlayer
04-13-2011, 05:06 AM
As 4x5 said we alredy put in some time but ran it to the same thing yo uguys are wind was up saturday walked in to our PP bumped right in to landowner walking the dogs said the birds just moving yet ole has heard 3 toms workin one side of the field. set up anyway nada no responce unless you count the 2 geese that landed the field..so bust that set up moved up the hill and tried to get on the sm flock i had seen the day we got the elk pic's spot a huge lone tom and well you all can guess how that went .. he rattled back at me a few times but headed for cover. tried to cut him off an intice him up the hill but he spoted us movin to new set up...dang birds walk fast when they want too lol sunday was on him again but he was not interested at all shcoked gobbled is all he would do .. moved the set up and then the boy had the shot he was worried because he could not see a visable Beard on two fine young struters i beleave the 20 lb 11.5 beard from last year was on his mind aswell he admits to not being sure what tom to shoot... they were well in range for his 20ga
open season is the 15th till end of may already have 2 great hunts in and know where the birds are and where they are going to be latter in the season..:cool:

mudpig
04-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Wife and I are heading out this weekend for the opening of the season. First time I've hunted turkey and decided it should be with a bow ;)

SonnyThomas
04-13-2011, 08:23 AM
You ought to see the turkeys I shoot with. :D

Personally, this shooting turkeys with a bow and arrow is rather inhumane, just so much overkill. I mean, a .44 magnum will kill them just as easy as a arrow. :D

HawgEnvy
04-13-2011, 09:05 AM
I just checked today. It seems everyone is buying/drawing tags for the multi-unit hunts. That means that there are PLENTY of left-over licenses available over-the-counter. I'll know in the morning if funds are available to get a tag. If so, I'll be scouting starting tomorrow. I've seen several birds during deer season w 8-10" beards. This is on public land.

Arrow Splitter
04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
You ought to see the turkeys I shoot with. :D

Hmmmm...I don't know if I want to, unless I'm wearing some sort of armor.:D:p

bowhntr
04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
went out last night and roosted one just for the heck of it. Im taking some kids out during the youth hunt next sat. and sun. cant wait. Last year my 13 yr. old cousin got one when he was with me it was the highlight of my year.

nnelzon23
04-23-2011, 08:27 PM
What do ya think... Onzas first blood!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-23-2011, 08:48 PM
looks like a keeper to me! Nice looking and good job!

cjchasman
04-24-2011, 05:44 AM
What do ya think... Onzas first blood!

I think I'm jealous! Very nice indeed.

rjd
04-24-2011, 08:25 AM
This is one we called in . Couldn't get the double done .