PDA

View Full Version : 04 slayr cables rubbing

jhastie
04-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I put a new set of string and cables on my bow and noticed that the cables were rubbing together below the rod. The cables are on the right hand side of the rod and the rod is turned so the cables are the farthest they can be from the string. Thats how the old cables were on the bow so I put them back the same way. The cable slide is just held in place by the tension of the cables. Is this a problem and if so how do i fix it. I tried turning the cable slide and it makes it worse.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Can you post a pic of the bow and how the cables run. It will help us to determine the best way we can help.

Hutch:cool:

jhastie
04-12-2011, 05:11 PM
hope these aren't too big

jhastie
04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
two more here

Speedykills
04-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I put a new set of string and cables on my bow and noticed that the cables were rubbing together below the rod. The cables are on the right hand side of the rod and the rod is turned so the cables are the farthest they can be from the string. Thats how the old cables were on the bow so I put them back the same way. The cable slide is just held in place by the tension of the cables. Is this a problem and if so how do i fix it. I tried turning the cable slide and it makes it worse.

Switch the strings with each other but leave slide like it is.

cherryju1ce
04-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get the cables on the inside of the cable slide.

bigbob29
04-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get the cables on the inside of the cable slide.
Sure would make a huge difference! Might have to rotate rod too to suit.

jhastie
04-23-2011, 12:07 PM
what would this do for the bow? this is how it was when i got it so i put them back the same way. i thought maybe it was for clearance or something. so i would need a new cable slide too then?

justin
04-23-2011, 12:21 PM
yeah you would need a slide.... but you really dont have to have one. have you tried trading slots in the slide with the cable? wheres elkslayer? i think he has a few slayers................

jhastie
04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
yeah I tried changing the cable positions and even flipped the slide around the only other thing I can think of is the cables were routed wrong when I got the bow and I need to re-route them around each other the other way

bfisher
04-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Plain and simple. The bow has the wrong kind of cable slide on it. I auume you bought it used. The previous owner didn't know what he was doing or this wouldn't be on the bow.

You need a slide that hangs the cables on the inside of the rod. Such slide will also have staggered slots which will keep the cables separated.

There's a picture of what you need in Martin's on-line store/bow parts/item # BP-50. You don't necessarily have to get this one. Any archery shop should have similar slides from various manufacturers. I'd recommend one of the several Teflon slides as these will give better durability with less maintenance.

Once you install one you should loosen the setcsrews holding the rod and rotate it so you have minimal fletching clearance; enough that your fletching doesn't hit the cables plus maybe 1/8". You don't need more than this as rotating it any more does nothing but create undue side torque and limb twist.

jhastie
04-24-2011, 11:34 AM
1. I am starting to realize the old owner didn't know what he was doing thats why I am on here looking for help.

2. Fixed the cables rubbing just had to re-route them.

3. Put the cables to the other side of the cable rod, got a new cable slide and no matter where I position the cable rod my vanes hit the cables. Is it possible that different slides have different slot depths? At the best position my vanes just barely hit so i wouldn't need much of a difference.