PDA

View Full Version : String silencer update

Ehunter
04-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Ok, in a previous post, I asked about adding cat whiskers on the cam side of the speed nocks. Threw a pair on the Onza this afternoon, and did some testing. By putting them between the speed nocks and the cam, I gained 2 fps. Had to make them pretty small so no rubber was able to cause problems at the cams, but it made a tremendous noise difference, and even gained me a bit of speed. I'll be trying them on the FC400 next. I actually tied them onto the heat shrink tubing ends that stick out past the speed nocks. Cut them down to the size of a 50 cent piece or so. Seems to work really well so far. Probably cut 60% of the string noise out. The one drawback I noticed was, there seems to be a bit of a "thump feel" to the limbs as the bow is fired. Not a big or bad thump, but just something I noticed. Figure it's just the extra weight of the silencers. Nothing I can't live with for the benefits I got though.

HawgEnvy
04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
good to know. Thanks for the update. I doubt that small thud will be noticeable enough to spook game.

leeindy
04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
pictures or it didnt happen. what speed are you getting out of it now?

Ehunter
04-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Hawg, it's not a thud that I hear, but rather one I feel. Just a bit of a thud felt when the limbs snap back to static position on the shot. Not a vibration, just a thud.

lee,I'm getting 308fps. 29 1/4 DL, 60# DW, and 345gr. arrow

Simple Life
04-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Might give that a try,have you also added the weather strip behind the SOS?Just curious on how quiet you now have your bow.Appreciate all the info you guys are providing.Thks

Ehunter
04-14-2011, 01:31 PM
SL, I do have the weather stripping behind the SOS as well. I have to say, with that and the whiskers, it's the quietest bow I've shot in years. Sounds more like a low poundage traditional bow than any compound I've heard lately. I also played around with the positioning of the SOS, not just forwards and backwards, but side to side as well. Found out about 1/16th from the string and DEAD CENTER on the SOS make both my bows the quietest. If the SOS is slightly to one side or the other, it does make the bow a little louder.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Very good info EH. Maybe when I upgrade:rolleyes: I might need this info.;)

Hutch:cool:

Simple Life
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Yes this is good info and appreciate the time you spent and passing it along

leeindy
04-14-2011, 02:24 PM
i gave mine a slight gap and pulled my string leaches out of the string but left them in the cables. no difference.

Simple Life
04-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Put the Cat whiskers on yesterday and made a difference with noise,still have some,but working on that.

Ehunter
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Sl, it didn't take out all of the noise on mine, but quieted it down alot. Major improvement over what it was before. Might double check the SOS position, and make sure the string is hitting it dead center. Make sure the string blocks out the oval hole in the middle of the SOS. If not, adjust it until it does. I think part of the noise I had was the string not hitting dead center, and making the SOS vibrate a little.

Simple Life
04-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Don't get me wrong ,the noise has come down alot since the adjustments and mods.Beside that I like the bow alot.Still might order a STS this summer and try it instead of the SOS,just to see.

Ehunter
04-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Be sure to let me know how that turns out for you. Be interesting to find out. One thing I should have mentioned before too. I spilt the whisker bundle in half widthwise, folded it over in 3rds, and tied a bundle on each side of the string. Serve it in good and tight, then cut the loop ends with a pair of scissors. Makes a nice little "whisker ball' on the string.

Simple Life
04-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Be sure to let me know how that turns out for you. Be interesting to find out. One thing I should have mentioned before too. I spilt the whisker bundle in half widthwise, folded it over in 3rds, and tied a bundle on each side of the string. Serve it in good and tight, then cut the loop ends with a pair of scissors. Makes a nice little "whisker ball' on the string.

No problem,I will let you know.That is how I tie all my Cat whiskers on,I find they look a little better that way.

HawgEnvy
04-17-2011, 05:07 PM
can someone post pics of this process. I got a serious cranial flatulant goin on n I can't wrap my mind around it.

Simple Life
04-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Take the strip of Cat whiskers and split it in half and fold twice,makes them small and a cleaner look.Here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6WNxTLPJW0