PDA

View Full Version : Three times unlucky.

bigbob29
04-13-2011, 03:00 PM
I have always said if I didnt have bad luck then I wouldnt get any luck at all. I am stubbon enough to keep on shooting my old 2000 cougar elite for target, but have recently had a bad run. I do a lot of practice so it may contribute to this. First one day I was out on my practice range , come to full draw and all hell broke loose , cable and string going every which way. Plastic module had broke!. Next time dry fired it when my fingers pushed the arrow forward as I was drawing, result cracked limb. Third same action as first plus a whack on the wrist that left a cut and bruise. The string had snapped. Lucky the limbs were ok. It seems as a finger shooter shooting split sometimes as I draw, I push the arrow a little forward on the string leaving a gap in between the nock valley and string. This must hammer the string on release. I knew the serving was a little chewed but never saw any string damage. Man have I got to clean up my act!

NuttyNative
04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Time for a new bow.

HawgEnvy
04-13-2011, 04:12 PM
buy a new bow...and use a release aid

Arrow Splitter
04-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Time for a new bow.
X2 This might be a good idea for you.

Arrow Splitter
04-13-2011, 04:56 PM
and use a release aid
A release aid won't prevent all problems(because it's a mechanical device), but this might be an idea as well.

A.S

gibson 787
04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I have always said if I didnt have bad luck then I wouldnt get any luck at all. I am stubbon enough to keep on shooting my old 2000 cougar elite for target, but have recently had a bad run. I do a lot of practice so it may contribute to this. First one day I was out on my practice range , come to full draw and all hell broke loose , cable and string going every which way. Plastic module had broke!. Next time dry fired it when my fingers pushed the arrow forward as I was drawing, result cracked limb. Third same action as first plus a whack on the wrist that left a cut and bruise. The string had snapped. Lucky the limbs were ok. It seems as a finger shooter shooting split sometimes as I draw, I push the arrow a little forward on the string leaving a gap in between the nock valley and string. This must hammer the string on release. I knew the serving was a little chewed but never saw any string damage. Man have I got to clean up my act!

Sorry to hear Bob, it's weird how many things come in threes. I don't know but you're likely using a glove. You could try a tab with a spacer, or even try 3 under. Have to say though, I get best results wit a tab 3 under for my traditional bows and I use a release for the compounds. But that's me, everyone's different, maybe I'm a bit wierd, I shoot instinctively now, that is with nothing attached apart from a D loop on the compounds and a rest. And I got to add, havn't had as much fun since I started 45 years ago! Maximum hunting distance is 25 yards.

bigbob29
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
gibson787, Actually I use a tab, with split fingers and have a spacer on it. I have been shooting for nigh on 30 years, always with barebow and fingers. I like my ol' cougar and shoot pretty well with it, enough to keep up with most in my class even with their new bows. I really like it when I often whop some guys in our club who are always telling me to 'go to the dark side'. I do own a 'new' Razor X I bought a year ago as superceded stock over there. It has all the bells and whistles like sights, stab, and winn freeflite release aid, which I bought 'cause its the closest to using fingers. It is for hunting but being on a pension and with fuel prices going through the roof over here [ bout $6 a gal] cant afford to go much.I can shoot almost as well with the cougar and I feel like I am actually doing something myself instead of relying too much on technology. That said, as a concession to advancing age I bought the Razor X in case I get that shot of a lifetime and want to be sure of it. Straight shooting to youall.

MLN1963
04-14-2011, 04:49 AM
BigBob

Where are you located with $6 gas? :confused:

gibson 787
04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
gibson787, Actually I use a tab, with split fingers and have a spacer on it. I have been shooting for nigh on 30 years, always with barebow and fingers. I like my ol' cougar and shoot pretty well with it, enough to keep up with most in my class even with their new bows. I really like it when I often whop some guys in our club who are always telling me to 'go to the dark side'. I do own a 'new' Razor X I bought a year ago as superceded stock over there. It has all the bells and whistles like sights, stab, and winn freeflite release aid, which I bought 'cause its the closest to using fingers. It is for hunting but being on a pension and with fuel prices going through the roof over here [ bout $6 a gal] cant afford to go much.I can shoot almost as well with the cougar and I feel like I am actually doing something myself instead of relying too much on technology. That said, as a concession to advancing age I bought the Razor X in case I get that shot of a lifetime and want to be sure of it. Straight shooting to youall.

Well Bigbob, as we say down under, "good on ya mate" I've never been much on all the bells and whistles either, and yeah, it does feel like you're actually doing something. Wow! $6 a gallon, it'll be cheaper to fill up with Jack Daniels soon. Unfortunately down here it's a $1.60 a litre which works out at exactly $6.05 a gallon, so about the same. Almost time to saddle up the horse! Hope you get it all sorted Bob. Dave

bigbob29
04-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Dave, guess I should have checked your details. I didnt realise you were in the land down under as well. Heaven forbid I would ever have to top a tank with JD! Mln1963- as you might have guessed we are in Australia.Should pick up the ol' cougar today with new string.Now after all that happened I will probably be shellshocked and throw arrows all over the place.

gibson 787
04-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Dave, guess I should have checked your details. I didnt realise you were in the land down under as well. Heaven forbid I would ever have to top a tank with JD! Mln1963- as you might have guessed we are in Australia.Should pick up the ol' cougar today with new string.Now after all that happened I will probably be shellshocked and throw arrows all over the place.

LOL! what part of Oz Bob, I thought $6 a gallon sounded a bit rich for USA, I thought it was about $4. That explains MLN1963's surprise. Good luck with the Cougar mate. Dave.

bigbob29
04-15-2011, 07:14 PM
g'day dave Up in Qld on the Sunshine coast. And that $6 figure is for our Gallon not the 'short' US gal.It is making it hard to go out hunting when the nearest property is a fair way out.

bfisher
04-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Bob, correct me if I'm wrong but your gallon is the Imperial gallon, right? That means 4 liters vs the 4 quarts for the US gallons. Am I correct?

bigbob29
04-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Thats right Bernie I think it is something like 4.24L per imperial gallon. In any which way its still expensive !Makes it hard to justify travelling longer distances for comps or hunting when one is on a miserable pension.