PDA

View Full Version : a opionion needed

polaris754
04-16-2011, 10:47 AM
what r the advantages between a drop away rest and a prong ?speed ? accuracy i have been thinkin about changeing out my rest [prong type ] to either a wisker or a drop away which werk the best and is a no brainer to set up or use , i have read about wiskers needing to have the wiskers changed at times ?

gravedigger
04-16-2011, 10:53 AM
i use a hostage rest,it has the 3 wisker points.and yes they do need to be changed from time to time.and it is kind of a problem,they ware down and will cahng your arrow flight a bit.i have just changd them and the had to re sight and all that nonsince.but i dont want to use a drop away so i will stick with what i have.for the most part i really like it.i will say stay away from the wisker biskets.they suck imo

polaris754
04-16-2011, 11:00 AM
thanks fer the reply there g digger so wiskers r fer the birds , thats one off the list i did hear about to much fussin with them ,this old prong thingy is about as old as u can get and i am haveing a harder time finding good tip covers for it lately ,so i think its time to change ,just which one i would like to keep it simple no frills type , i hate changein stuff thanks again have a great day :)

Simple Life
04-16-2011, 11:07 AM
I personally like a WB,never had any problems with mine,had them for 2 and 3 yrs,plus thee is less to go wrong with one.You only loose a couple of fps with them.I just put a Ripcord on the new bow and it was a easy to set up.

archerx7
04-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't use a WB myself but have sold more than a few, and have had no customers complaints.

If going to a dropaway, I would suggest the VT Limb Driver. They are solid, dependable and easy to setup and tune.

cyclepath
04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
I use a qad hd drop away rest. I like the idea of having a containment rest for hunting. All you have to worry about is aim and shoot and unlike some drop aways your arrow stays contained if you let down on your shot. They are not that hard to set up. I know alot of people use WB because they are simple, alot of bows come set up with these if you buy the package deal. I think they would be a great bow fishing rest. I guess it all depends on what you use your bow for.

Simple Life
04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
135 yd shots with WB-don't mind the bow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVbm7y6S5OM

Ehunter
04-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I've used whisker biscuits before, and about 5 different drop-away rests, as well as the old TM Hunter prong rests. My nod goes to the drop-aways. Most of my bows have the Trophy Taker drop aways, but I threrw a NAP Apache on my Moab, and I think it's every bit as good, at less than half the price. The thing I like best about the drop rests is, once you release the arrow, the rest drops quickly, and there's less to effect arrow flight. When set up correctly, they are also among the quietest rests I've had. Probably use one on every bow from now on.

rpalt1
04-16-2011, 01:16 PM
what r the advantages between a drop away rest and a prong ?speed ? accuracy i have been thinkin about changeing out my rest [prong type ] to either a wisker or a drop away which werk the best and is a no brainer to set up or use , i have read about wiskers needing to have the wiskers changed at times ?

Take a look at the bodoodle zapper. Its similar to the octane but has 3 prongs and is full containment. Its not as noisy as everyone thinks. its very accurate and easy to set up

cjchasman
04-16-2011, 01:54 PM
In my humble opinion I feel the best for hunting situations would be a whisker bisquit. If you shoot alot of 3D and field competition I would lean towards a full containment drop away; there are some really good ones out there. I will say that I shoot WB's on all my bows but one and yes they will ripple your fletchings but I do not experience any other ill effect. But, I hunt mostly and love the fact that on walk and stalk I never have to check arrow containment.

HawgEnvy
04-16-2011, 03:19 PM
trophy taker all the way.

rock
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
i have the apache and love it i put mole skin on the inside of the containment ring so the arrow can not make any noise. i have used w/b , bodoodle, the main thing it get use to what you have..the one i did not like was the rip cord.

SonnyThomas
04-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Question answered first; The drop rest advantage over a prong style rest would be able to use full helical fletchings. There is no speed or accuracy difference between the two...if properly set up and bow setup properly.

Either a whisker biscuit or drop rest will work... Again, provided they are set up properly.
Either can be a pain in the butt to set up if not familiar with them.

A whisker biscuit set up properly (and bow set up properly) will last a good while before needing a replacement brush.

Ray from Auburn
04-16-2011, 04:30 PM
i think for me, a drop-away eliminates any hand torque. two of my bows have ripcords and the other two have nap 360 captures.