PDA

View Full Version : Is this idler wheel lean normal? Having Bengal issues!

dougaldy
04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Guys,

I have a 2010 Martin Bengal and just had some brand new Bucknasty strings and cables installed. While shooting tonight I noticed a slight creak coming from the upper idler wheel and upon closer look, I noticed the string is coming off at a slight angle. I dont know how this can be avoided due to the angle of the cable coming off the back of the idler wheel to the cable slide. Also take a look at my cam and tell me if this is timed ok, it has about a half inch of groove showing. Ive included a few pics to make sure everything looks ok but Im not sure about the creaking sound the wheel is making. Also aside from the idler issue, my bow is very twangy when shooting. I didnt realize just how loud it was until I was shooting indoors next to a guy whos bow was whisper quiet. I ended up putting 4 monkey tails on my strings and cables but it is still very loud and rings my ear when shooting. Thanks for any help..

SonnyThomas
04-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Right off I'd say you need your yoke adjusted. Bow at rest, lay a arrow across the wheel and down the string. The arrow should be parallel to the string. Twist the right side and untwist the left until good.

cyclepath
04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Unless you are a bow tech I would just take it back to who ever put the new string and cables on for you and make sure they set it back up properly.

dougaldy
04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
I just took some measurements and on the left side of the bow, the A2A from pins in the limbs is 32" on the right side its 32 1/8, should that be close to the same?

HawgEnvy
04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
glad you made it to the forum. I'd say twist the yoke on the longer side to bring it down to 32",also. That should correct it. But if in doubt,have your bow tech set it up properly for you,if you don't have a proper bow press.

HawgEnvy
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
also,looking again at the last pic,its the yellow cable that needs to be twisted.
I'm wondering why your string is so far off to the side of the STS. Does the sts rotate or does it just slide in/out. I hope it can be rotated to be in-line w the string.

dougaldy
04-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to swing by the shop tomorrow morning and have him look at it. Yes, the string doesnt quite line up exactly with the center of the STS but it is close. Ill update the post once I shoot a bit at the shop tomorrow. I hope this does something to quiet the bow down a bit too, it has a pretty loud twang to it and from what I read, that is standard with some of these Martins. I sure hope not otherwise it just may be up for sale soon. :(

Simple Life
04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
The twang could be from the STS not set right,the string should hit dead center of it.

HawgEnvy
04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to swing by the shop tomorrow morning and have him look at it. Yes, the string doesnt quite line up exactly with the center of the STS but it is close. Ill update the post once I shoot a bit at the shop tomorrow. I hope this does something to quiet the bow down a bit too, it has a pretty loud twang to it and from what I read, that is standard with some of these Martins. I sure hope not otherwise it just may be up for sale soon. :(

the twang isn't a Martin thing. It's an improperly tuned bow thing. Any pro shop worth a dang can have your bow set up properly in no time at all. Don't be so quick to jump on the sell n buy new train. Just go to a QUALITY PRO SHOP. Not Gander Mtn or other box store. You could end up w some jackass shoe salesman pretending to know wgat their doing and could make things worse

dougaldy
04-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Hawg,

I agree, Im not in that big of a hurry its just that I am getting frustrated with it. I will take it to the shop where I bought it and see what he can do. The owner also shoots Martin bows in competition so Im sure he is more than qualified to get the lean out and quiet it down. Ill find out tomorrow!

HawgEnvy
04-19-2011, 03:11 PM
be sure to let us know how it goes and what you figured out

gravedigger
04-19-2011, 04:29 PM
ATA is 32 and 1\4.brace hight nin 7in.ez to fix if you want to.i got a 2010 bengal.back out limb bolts,but if you have not done it then ask how on this forum,or pm me and i will let you know how.take twists of of yoke.1 more on the side that is shorter ATA.you do not have the ccs so there is no reason why you should have lean.but i love my bengal.im getting 308 fps and its a nice shooter.good luck

dougaldy
04-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Well I took my bow into the shop today and while the creaking cam and lean were taken care of, another issue rared its ugly head. After the dealer re-checked everthing, he decided to paper tune it and come to find out it is shooting knock low about an inch or so. He played around with the knock point but couldnt quite get it to tune properly. I am shooting a QAD ultrarest HD so he took that off and tried QAD without the upper containment bar and still the same results. He then changed it out with a whisker biscuit and another non fall away, I think a zapper or something like that and it seemed to shoot straight. I really like that rest but what the heck could it be, Im using a small profile vein but no matter what it still knock tears low.

HawgEnvy
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
sounds like nock point needs to be raised or rest needs to be lowered. Pics from the side would help us out.

dougaldy
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
I dont think those rests can be lowered. I tried to raise the knock pt up to over a 1/2 high and it did get better but that angle was way to great. Can the new string cause the issue?

Speedykills
04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I dont think those rests can be lowered. I tried to raise the knock pt up to over a 1/2 high and it did get better but that angle was way to great. Can the new string cause the issue?

I had some issues with the cheapo QAD rest,then switched to a ripcord code red problem solved...................

parttimr
04-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Shooting the cheapo QAD and no problems here so far.

Speedykills
04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Shooting the cheapo QAD and no problems here so far.

Are you sure!!!!

parttimr
04-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Well since my archery is hunting only and my shots are normally under 20yds with the ST's hitting with the FPs out to 40 yds and no noticeable nock angle issues at the target when removed I'd say I am happy with it and pretty sure. My previous rest was a WB on a 15 yr old PSE.

dougaldy
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I am using the QAD Ultrarest HD. Im not sure where to go from here. Im going to have him keep playing with it and see if we can get that low tear to go away. What is acceptable at ten feet? It is tearing about an inch I'd guess, thats not horrible is it?

HawgEnvy
04-21-2011, 09:56 AM
I'd say forget the paper tune and do a walk-back tune. Both of my bows were done this way and I couldn't be happier w my arrow flight both w bh and field points.

dougaldy
04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Yah thats what Im going to do. My dealer cant seem to get this thing to paper tune perfect, its got a 1" low knock tear.

bfisher
04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
I am using the QAD Ultrarest HD. Im not sure where to go from here. Im going to have him keep playing with it and see if we can get that low tear to go away. What is acceptable at ten feet? It is tearing about an inch I'd guess, thats not horrible is it?

That 1" low tear would bother me. It may not seem horrible to some, but I wouldn't call it good. I'd much rather see a slightly high tear if any tear at all. Are you sure you're using the right spined arrows? I'd like to see you post the specs of your bow and arrow information. As much detail as you can muster.

Who mentioned changing rests? This might be a good idea if for no other reason than pure comparison. With a drop away the type of rest should not be an issue as there should be no fletching contact or other issues, but it doesn't always happen that way.
What else you can do is use spray foot powder on the vanes to see if they are hitting anything.

That's all that's coming to mind right now.

dougaldy
04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Bfisher,

I am using Victory V3 400's. My bow is currently set up at 60# and tuning was done from 6-20 feet and also with a bare shaft for comparison. I read where others were having the same issue and it wasnt until the knock pt was raised so hi it was rediculous. I cant explain why the QAD was the issue but it shot bullet holes with a Whisker biscuit on there. I didnt use the foot powder trick but I will continue to shoot it and see what kind of groups I get with the hay bales.

pizzadave
08-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I dug up your thread and found that some people seem to have left ya hanging after you gave out what you are using. I had the same exact issue on my 2010 Cheetah, and I had two issues. The first issue was the cam stop wasn't making contact, and I was over drawing my cam module. Once we got that fixed, it got closer (about an 1/2'' nock low tear), all said and done, I only got that tear to go away with my nocking point starting out 1/2'' high, while using a qad ultrarest hd ($50 cheapy) I was hitting the top containment bar with blazer vanes, so I removed it. All of that aside, we found the REAL issue was I had cracked limbs. The limbs were so out of whack that I had to give my arrow that extreme high nocking point. Now that my limbs are new powertough limbs, I am sitting with a nocking point just 1/8'' high or so, and it shoots b-e-a-utifully.