PDA

View Full Version : no bow press?

boobowbender
04-19-2011, 06:40 PM
can i just back out the limb bolts and just lean on my bow slowly till i can take cables on and off. buying a press isn't in the budget after the new bow.
I do have a lot of tools and am handy is there something cheap and safe that would work better
b

cjchasman
04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Sorry for not looking but what kind of bow do you have. Some Martins are able to be serviced by backing out limb bolts evenly. Also a "Bowmaster" portable bow press works great and can usually be had for under $50.00.

Do a search for bow press on the search box. 2nd page has alot of info that may answer your question.

HawgEnvy
04-19-2011, 07:20 PM
most martins can be disassembled this way. I back the limb bolts out 3 full turns at a time til I start seeing light through the barrel nut on the riser. Then I go 1 turn each till the bottom of the limb bolt is at slightly more than half way out of the barrel nut. Just take your time and check it periodically. You will know when the strings/cables are able to be removed.

boobowbender
04-19-2011, 07:52 PM
sweet thanks, beats buying equipment or making something i'll only use for two weeks till its fine tuned and top notch

Ehunter
04-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Neither of my 2011 Martins will back down far enough by turning the limbs bolts to allow easy removal of the string/cables. What I've had to do is, turn the bolts out as far as I can to loosen the string as much as it'll allow. Then grab the cam in one hand and rotate it to loosen the string/cables. For reassembly, rotate cam, reattach cable/string. This is one thing about the new bows that I certainly DO NOT like. Martins were always known for being an easy bow to work on and no bow press needed. Looks like they are either getting away from that, or just not paying attention as well anymore.

bfisher
04-20-2011, 03:07 AM
See my post in the thread entitled "Spongy back wall". You can get longer limb bolts very easily.

MLN1963
04-20-2011, 06:28 AM
I can't back my bolts out enough to relieve all the string pressure either. It popped out on me and I was a little surprised. It was easy enough to over come though. Longer bolts might be a nice addition and I wish this thread came up earlier when I placed and order with McMaster-Carr. Oh well.