PDA

View Full Version : Putting in a TRG and SOS on an older Martin bow?

Bowhunter_IL_BT
04-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I have a 2010 Martin Cheetah. Will both the TRG and the SOS fit on that model? I have the standard cable guard and was thinking of upgrading. The bow has the same exact specs as the 2011 Exile which is basically the same bow. I have heard of problems with the SOS and rubber wearing. I may just leave my old string supressor in and put a TRG in.

Money Man
04-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Welcome to the forum. If you search the forum, there is a thread about someone putting a trg and sos on an older bow. If you can not find it, or do not get an answer from here, you could always call Martin and get more details about it. Good luck. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Rockyhud
04-21-2011, 06:10 AM
I successfully installed the TRG/SOS system on my 2008 Firecat and really like it. One major caveat to using this system is your bow's riser must have a 3/8" cable guard rod hole for mounting the TRG. As I'm not familiar with your Cheetah I don't know if has this or not.

MLN1963
04-21-2011, 07:59 AM
I think what Rocky is getting at is if you have the CCS you are SOL trying to use a TRG/SOS.

cyclepath
04-21-2011, 08:56 AM
I successfully installed the TRG/SOS system on my 2008 Firecat and really like it. One major caveat to using this system is your bow's riser must have a 3/8" cable guard rod hole for mounting the TRG. As I'm not familiar with your Cheetah I don't know if has this or not.

Not quite sure what caveat means :confused: I am curious about your setup on your firecat though since I have the same bow (with soon to be 2011 limbs) How has this worked out for you and what is the difference with the bow with these installed? I don't remember if you've posted pics of it or not but I would be interested in seeing some.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
04-21-2011, 09:32 AM
My Cheetah has the standard cable guard and not the CCS roller cable. I called Martin and they would not recommend it because of the difference in the cams between the 2010 and the Exile 2011. The cams are the same I just checked it out on Martin's site. The Axle to Axle is the same between both bows. They recommended not putting any TRG on any old Martin bows.

SonnyThomas
04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
caveat; 1. warning or proviso: something said as a warning, caution, or qualification
2. request to court: an official request to a court not to proceed with a case without notice to the person making the request
[Mid-16th century. < Latin , "let him or her beware" < cavere "to heed"]

polaris754
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
with all the humor intended i think sonny said it all have a good day as well and shoot straight:rolleyes:

justin
04-21-2011, 02:48 PM
you know...... i dont know how a trg would be bad on a cheetah. at full draw the cable and 2nd half string are TORQUED!!! they dont want you to put it on but the css is ok???? hahaha!!! ive pondered angling my guide rod toward my shoot string to create a similar effect to the trg.

Rockyhud
04-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Here are some of the threads that have pics of my Firecat with the TRG/SOS. The second thread also has pics from dan476 of his 08 Moab (a couple of pages earlier than my post).

So far mine has worked well. At first I wasn't sure if it was just my mind wanting to "find improvement" in my shooting accuracy but since I've had a few months now and shot numerous times I now firmly believe it has helped reduce my group size and overall accuracy. One thing I noticed immediately after the TRG install was how almost completely straight the cables run between the cams when I'm at full draw. This is what the TRG is designed to accomplish - reduce cam lean/limb tip torque caused by pulling the cables to the side for fletch clearance.

I had read sometime during my research on benefits of torque reducing designs that control cables have more tension than the draw string when at full draw and conversely the string has more tension when at brace height. I confirmed this. So, it makes sense that getting the cables to run as close to completely straight as possible between cams at full draw reduces torque on the limbs and cams at that phase of the bow's state and consequently reduces overall torque on the bow. The TRG gradually shifts the cables to the side during the shot which concurrently shifts the tension and torquing effects on the limbs and cams, essentially keeping the torque applied to the cams and limbs, and bow in general, static throughout the shot sequence. At least that's how I rationalize how that works.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?8575-Lets-see-what-ya-got-guys-post-some-pics!/page11

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?8505-2011-Cable-Guard-and-SOS/page4

Not quite sure what caveat means :confused: I am curious about your setup on your firecat though since I have the same bow (with soon to be 2011 limbs) How has this worked out for you and what is the difference with the bow with these installed? I don't remember if you've posted pics of it or not but I would be interested in seeing some.

cyclepath
04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
caveat; 1. warning or proviso: something said as a warning, caution, or qualification
2. request to court: an official request to a court not to proceed with a case without notice to the person making the request
[Mid-16th century. < Latin , "let him or her beware" < cavere "to heed"]

Thanks for the schooling Sonny. I don't know why my 1987 websters dictonary doesn't have that in there lol. It is interesting to me that some older martins will accept the trg and newer ones will not. Would it be possible to drill and tap a hole in the riser to allow the bows to use these things? Seems that alot of the older martins will accept newer limbs, so does the riser change that much in a year or two?

justin
04-21-2011, 05:40 PM
can i answer that? anything is possible!!! although the bows with the aluminum (or steel) cable guide rod would surly be easier than the ones with the carbon rod. and if you have a css, you would need the slider rod bracket to bolt on.(the carbon cable guide rod uses a bolt on bracket to hold the rod) doesnt seem to tough to me..... id give you part numbers and such, but my catalog is in the garage =(

cyclepath
04-21-2011, 07:31 PM
can i answer that? anything is possible!!! although the bows with the aluminum (or steel) cable guide rod would surly be easier than the ones with the carbon rod. and if you have a css, you would need the slider rod bracket to bolt on.(the carbon cable guide rod uses a bolt on bracket to hold the rod) doesnt seem to tough to me..... id give you part numbers and such, but my catalog is in the garage =(

And?????????????????????????????????????????????

Bowhunter_IL_BT
04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
SO Rocky and Justin should I give the TRG a try or you think I should just leave it the way it is? The Acu-Trak cams are different but im not sure how it would be a big deal. Is it possibly they would rather me buy a newer bow to get that feature?

justin
04-23-2011, 12:14 PM
i would stick with the slider myself. if everyone starts paying martin to use the design then maybe it might be worth looking into. outside of that, the slider on my chetah does great, and ive considered putting it on my ax and idk what id do with the css.... so i just left bolth bows as is....

Bowhunter_IL_BT
04-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Justin thanks for the input. I pretty much decided to stay with the regular slide. The TRG is a good concept, but rather be safe than sorry. I shoot well with what I have now. The CCS I have heard that they can wear the cable strings down over time. The regular cable slide is the way to go with the Cheetah.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Justin thanks for the input. I pretty much decided to stay with the regular slide. The TRG is a good concept, but rather be safe than sorry. I shoot well with what I have now. The CCS I have heard that they can wear the cable strings down over time. The regular cable slide is the way to go with the Cheetah.
Welcome to the forum, I agree with your decision the less moving parts, always works, bow shoots well.

Hutch:cool: