PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about this bow?

cyclepath
04-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Sorry guys, I know this is not a compound but I was hoping for more air time here before Barry banishes me to the dark side. I saw this on e-bay and was concidering bidding on it but know nothing about it. Anyone seen one of these before? Don't have a clue what it would be worth. Any help out there?

cyclepath
04-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Forgot, martin cheetah supreme.

alex
04-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Don't know anything about this bow, but it looks great. A good old recurve is a nice add to an archery collection.

Rottzilla
04-23-2011, 09:43 AM
I know it is strung backwards the string is on the front and it is a recurve. That is all I can give.

Will

HawgEnvy
04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I know it is strung backwards the string is on the front and it is a recurve. That is all I can give.

Will

my thoughts exactly...and that can't be good on the limbs

SonnyThomas
04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Target bow for sure. Appears to be 66 or 72". Texic rest, clicker and bracket for possible a old Checkit sight. The white limbs are some that of Shakesphere.

cyclepath
04-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Thought I put this pic as well, may be of more help. Don't have a clue what all the numbers mean except 34# at 28".

martinbowhunter
04-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Looks like it belonged to andre the giant....:p Nice bow though

bfisher
04-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Banish you? For what reason? This is not only archery related, but a part of history. I have never seen one like this. If all holds true and the 7761 is the serial number then the 77 might be the year of manufacture. The 70 would maybe be the length of the bow. Quite unique.

Thanks for posting.

cyclepath
04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks Barry, I thought you may put this in the traditional section. Contacted the seller about the bow with many questions and all I got back from him was that the bow was 64". I don't think the guy knows squat about the thing. I sent an e-mail to martin asking for as much info as possible. Spent most of the night looking online for anything about the bow and nothing except the e-bay auction. I'll have to wait and see what martin has to say, but i'm thinking it may not be a martin bow since martin is no where to be seen on the bow. Update coming. If anyone comes up with anything PLEASE post it up.

cyclepath
04-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Well I did some more research and I think I found something.

Simple Life
04-24-2011, 02:09 PM
You got it American Archery made it along with some other variations.Hunter, Special Hunter, Hunter Special(?) Cheetah Special and the Cheetah Standard.Company in Clarendon Hills, Illinois.

CarlosII
04-24-2011, 03:55 PM
34 pounds at 28 inches??

cyclepath
04-24-2011, 06:13 PM
You got it American Archery made it along with some other variations.Hunter, Special Hunter, Hunter Special(?) Cheetah Special and the Cheetah Standard.Company in Clarendon Hills, Illinois.
Still have no idea about the bow. I was lucky to find this old catalog cover but still don't know what year it is or a price range for this bow. I found out the company went out of business in the 80s. Not much info around on these bows.

34 pounds at 28 inches??

Yeh, 34# at 28" 64" amo but I think it's more. Beautiful bow, nice conversation starter for sure. Give me some ideas of what would be a realistic price to pay for this bow. Sorry it's not a martin, I'll give the owner the bad news. Price range guys, thanks. Let me know if any of you are interested in the bow.

bcriner
04-25-2011, 06:58 AM
It is an American Archery Cheetah Supreme. I say that, because I have a Cheetah Supreme recurve very similar to that, from the late '60s. I know because my dad sold them for years. I also have an American Archery All Pro Custom, named after NFL start Jerry Kramer. American Archery was a company that was bought out in late '80s by High Country and their compounds were later just absorbed into the High Country line up. The bow is from the late '60s because my dad won the Georgia state championship with two of them, one he still has and the other is the one I have.

DeepRiverBowman
04-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Will

Actually it's not that bad for the limbs. Back in the day, people did this to keep the limbs from 'taking a set' when strung. It's probably not necessary on todays bows b/c of newer limb materials. I still store my older recurves this way.

mike

cyclepath
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
how much $$$ ?

right now the bid is at $103, shipping is like $29. 1 day left. Auction on e-bay.

Blueberries
04-26-2011, 01:00 AM
I know it is strung backwards the string is on the front and it is a recurve... :o

bfisher
04-26-2011, 02:54 AM
The most important thing to look for with these older bows is whether either or both of the limbs are twisted; something you probably won't see very well with a picture.

HawgEnvy
04-26-2011, 07:06 AM
It is an American Archery Cheetah Supreme. I say that, because I have a Cheetah Supreme recurve very similar to that, from the late '60s. I know because my dad sold them for years. I also have an American Archery All Pro Custom, named after NFL start Jerry Kramer. American Archery was a company that was bought out in late '80s by High Country and their compounds were later just absorbed into the High Country line up. The bow is from the late '60s because my dad won the Georgia state championship with two of them, one he still has and the other is the one I have.

is someone forgetting our unwritten law? Come on,Barry,wheres the pics?