PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from NC.

Stealthscan
04-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Hey All,
New to Archery and new to Martin. I thought I would introduce myself before asking a bunch of questions! In an effort to spend more time with my teenage son, I bought him a new Trophy Hunter for his birthday. He wanted us to be "Martin Buddies" so I found myself a Speedfire Magnum for a song~ I have to say, for a 9 year old bow, it shoots better than I do... We are having fun learning how to shoot and the goal is to hunt next fall. I have been lurking the posts and have learned a bunch already.:cool: Thanks for being here.

Simple Life
04-23-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/welcome.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Welcome to the forum and the addicting world of archery.Congrats to you and your son on your new bows.Don't be shy about asking any questions,good group of guys on here to help you .

SL

alex
04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the forum!

HawgEnvy
04-23-2011, 11:29 AM
welcome aboard. Asking anything you want. Don't be shy.no question is stupid less you don't ask. We LOVE to see pics of peopls bows.

cyclepath
04-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Welcome, and as always, pics, pics and more pics. :D

martinbowhunter
04-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Welcome, and yes we love pic's!

Lung Buster
04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Welcome to the family! Good luck with your new toys!

gravedigger
04-23-2011, 06:56 PM
welcom to the forum.you found the right spot for all your martin needs.i too started out as a first time shooter with 0 knowledge about my bow.now i can do all i need to with out the help of a shop.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-23-2011, 07:02 PM
welcome aboard. Asking anything you want. Don't be shy.no question is stupid less you don't ask. We LOVE to see pics of peopls bows.Rubbing off on ya huh HawgEnvy.

Hey welcome to the forum fire away and put up the questions. We will help as much as we can and nice to see you getting some great bows.

Hutch:cool:

Rangerj
04-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Welcome, From another Martin Fan.

rpalt1
04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Welcome aboard:cool:

Stealthscan
04-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Ok, first two questions~
Sons Saber was set up at Dick's, and the guy seemed fairly knowledgeable. The bow has a DW range of 55 to 70. Son could not pull 55, so it was cranked down to 48. It this safe?
Accessories, of course we want all the cool stuff! We both know that more money does not make you a better shot but also realize that the "stuff" that came on his big box re brand may not be high end. What should we look at? What will make the most improvements for the money? I did put an s-coil stab on his, and he says it is better. Do limbsavers work well?
Thanks~

Money Man
04-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't know if the bow turned down to 48 is "safe" or not, but I think a better fit would be a 45 - 60 bow or even a 35 - 50. If 48 is not safe, than your son is over bowed and he will not be able to pull it back, which might lead him to get discouraged and give up before you really get going. It is great to want to do this with your son, but they guy selling the bow should have realized the bow was too much for you son right now. I am sure your son will be able to handle the bow eventually, but I don't like seeing him set up for failure right out of the box. Good luck. What kind of add ons came with the bow?

Stealthscan
04-25-2011, 05:23 AM
I understand the over bowed idea, we were a bit stuck as the kid is 13, wears a size 14 shoe and is growing RAPIDLY. In the one month time we have had it, he is ready to increase the DW some.
It had a basic prong rest, 4 arrow quiver and a flimsy 3 pin sight. No external vibration suppression at all except for the small stab I added. Not having a reference point prior, I have no idea if it needs more vibration control or not. He is fairly consistent with shot placement though. We even had a game of "who can screw up each others arrow" . No Robin hoods, but he did clip the nock off one of mine and his little brothers arrows at 15 yards. I know, expensive game... I printed up some full sheet size Tic-Tac-Toe targets. Much cheaper than arrows.2615

Spiker
04-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Here is a link for some printable targets that has some games and another thing kids find fun is to pin up balloons on the target to shoot at.
http://www.dewclawarchery.com/printable_targets-a/136.htm

HawgEnvy
04-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Rubbing off on ya huh HawgEnvy.

Hey welcome to the forum fire away and put up the questions. We will help as much as we can and nice to see you getting some great bows.

Hutch:cool:

figured I'd ask for you since your on vacation instead of building our strings. Lol

HawgEnvy
04-25-2011, 08:36 AM
limbsavers and cat whiskers are a hard to beat combo for silencing your bow. They work extremely well and will compliment the s coil stab. Your prong rest will work,but many including myself,prefer drop away rests. The allow the use of a tighter helical on the vanes for better broadhead control w/o rest contact. I also like a sight w metal construction and fiberoptics for durability in the field and low light visibility. I also like a sight with a round pin guard to center in my peep. I find it helps w accuracy,along w my 3 anchor points.

Stealthscan
04-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Hawg Envy,
Exactly what I was looking for. We are not at the point where we need high end specifics. This gives me a great place to start.

Thanks~

HawgEnvy
04-26-2011, 07:17 AM
your very welcome. Let us know what kind of goodies you get...with pics

gravedigger
04-26-2011, 10:31 AM
if your limbs are rated 55-70 then haveing it at 48 is not good,IMO(2 or 3+ or - lbs is ok).your limb bolts are turnd out a bit too far.martin recomends min-max of 5 turn's on the limb bolt's.each full turn is 3 lbs.if it will be some time befor he reaches the 55# mark then a 40+limbs might be in order.a lighter draw weight will also help him shoot a bit better because he wont be fighting the bow and it will teach him control on his shots,help with form,ect.i got cheep stuff for my bow because i did not want to spend a ton of money.i have no stab or limb savers.i do have cat wiskers and a sts,it helps alot.i do really like my octane hostage rest.and i have cheep 4 pin sights.and REMEMBER TO FLEX YOUR ARROWS AFTER TAKING SHOTS at each other arrows.you dont want a arrow breaking and going through your hand.