PDA

View Full Version : Thermal grip problem

wick
04-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Today was the first time that I shot my new exile when it was warm out. Around 80 and pretty humid. After about 20 shots i noticed that the leather on my grip was getting loose and detaching itself from the little plastic insert on the side. Has anyone else had any issues with the new grip? Any suggestions. I was able to shove all the leather back under the insert but its just glue holding it there. Seems a little chinsey for such a nice bow.

MLN1963
04-24-2011, 03:56 PM
I noticed mine is getting messed up too. Very disappointing for a brand new bow!

Simple Life
04-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Today was the first time that I shot my new exile when it was warm out. Around 80 and pretty humid. After about 20 shots i noticed that the leather on my grip was getting loose and detaching itself from the little plastic insert on the side. Has anyone else had any issues with the new grip? Any suggestions. I was able to shove all the leather back under the insert but its just glue holding it there. Seems a little chinsey for such a nice bow.

Welcome to the forum Wick,yeah some members have had some problem with the grip,I don't think anyone has found a solution yet for the problem,one member used Gold Tip Grip and re-glued it,not sure of his results though.

SL

wick
04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the forum Wick,yeah some members have had some problem with the grip,I don't think anyone has found a solution yet for the problem,one member used Gold Tip Grip and re-glued it,not sure of his results though.

SL

Thanks. Been looking at some other grips tonight but I don't know if any of them will even work. It didn't come off all the way so i didn't notice if there are any holes in the recessed area to screw another one in. Though, without some way of securing the current one permenantly, eventually it will just keep coming off.

mudpig
04-25-2011, 06:49 AM
As Simple Life mentioned. I was the guy who used Gold Tip Tip Grip glue. As you, I was having problems with the grip slipping to one side and found that it was a problem during extended shooting sessions. My guess was the heat from my hand was warming the adhesive. My fix has been working without problems for more than a month with extensive shooting since then. Peel the grip completely off. Add your favorite fletching glue to the grip surface of the bow riser. Make sure you get a good bead of glue in both recesses where the carbon fiber looking pannels go, and a decent spread zig zag style across the front face. Then starting from the center of the grip material, place it in the middle of the front face of the grip riser section, working material over each edge and down into the recesses making sure the carbon fiber looking stuff is placed well down into its recess. Quickly work out any wrinkles. You don't have a lot of time to work with this glue. If your carbon fiber looking pieces came free from the leather, in a seperate gluing, reglue this to the leather. Let it all dry 24hrs and your done!!!

Hope this will solve your problem

MLN1963
04-25-2011, 11:50 AM
MudPig

I don't have fletching glue, is it like super glue or some other glue?

mudpig
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Exactly like super glue ;)

MLN1963
04-25-2011, 12:16 PM
That is easier. It will surely take off any camo come time to change out the "grip" bit it will be covered so it should make no matter.

It does annoy me that something this new needs repair already. :mad:

Simple Life
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
As Simple Life mentioned. I was the guy who used Gold Tip Tip Grip glue. As you, I was having problems with the grip slipping to one side and found that it was a problem during extended shooting sessions. My guess was the heat from my hand was warming the adhesive. My fix has been working without problems for more than a month with extensive shooting since then. Peel the grip completely off. Add your favorite fletching glue to the grip surface of the bow riser. Make sure you get a good bead of glue in both recesses where the carbon fiber looking pannels go, and a decent spread zig zag style across the front face. Then starting from the center of the grip material, place it in the middle of the front face of the grip riser section, working material over each edge and down into the recesses making sure the carbon fiber looking stuff is placed well down into its recess. Quickly work out any wrinkles. You don't have a lot of time to work with this glue. If your carbon fiber looking pieces came free from the leather, in a seperate gluing, reglue this to the leather. Let it all dry 24hrs and your done!!!

Thats where I seen it.:)

mudpig
04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
very good!!! :p

Simple Life
04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
very good!!! :p

Ok...............

wick
04-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I use fletchtite platinum, not exactly like super glue but hopefully it will work.