PDA

View Full Version : bringing pins on target

HawgEnvy
04-25-2011, 08:26 AM
I was just out shooting the Cheetah and,out of curiousity,was wondering how you guys like to aim. When you get to full draw,do you lower the pin to the target or raise it up to the target? I find myself doing both,but mostly I lower onto my POA.

HawgEnvy
04-25-2011, 08:27 AM
is one better than the other? And if so,why?

SonnyThomas
04-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Generally it is best said to either place the pin right on the wanted point of impact or slightly above and come down. What it is, the muscles tighten and becomes harder to raise than come down. And then problems may arise, freezing below the target or snap shooting are two that come to mind.

Rockyhud
04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
A while back I read a thread on AT about target panic and someone (forget who now) posted a link to some shooting coaches info on the topic. These all generally said what Sonny said - the best approach was to come down from above rather than trying to raise the bow and sight pin up to the target. The "coaches" basically said the first method will help prevent or even help overcome target panic and punching the trigger as its easier to lower the bow onto the target than it is to raise it up. I personally found this advise to be true.

gravedigger
04-25-2011, 10:44 AM
A while back I read a thread on AT about target panic and someone (forget who now) posted a link to some shooting coaches info on the topic. These all generally said what Sonny said - the best approach was to come down from above rather than trying to raise the bow and sight pin up to the target. The "coaches" basically said the first method will help prevent or even help overcome target panic and punching the trigger as its easier to lower the bow onto the target than it is to raise it up. I personally found this advise to be true.

Generally it is best said to either place the pin right on the wanted point of impact or slightly above and come down. What it is, the muscles tighten and becomes harder to raise than come down. And then problems may arise, freezing below the target or snap shooting are two that come to mind.

x2 to the above.i bring it down from the top.
1-buck\elk feaver.if i bring it down from the top i have a better chance at getting the shot i need.i found bottom to top i would want to release sooner

HawgEnvy
04-25-2011, 11:36 AM
so,in your opinions,would I gain a bit of accuracy if I were to be more consistent in bring the pin down onto the target?

Simple Life
04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
X3 come down.

nnelzon23
04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
x4
I found that i missed low more often than not until I trained myself to come down to the target.

justin
04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
lol i too release on my way down........ tragically i miss high more often though, and the sparrows and starlings that think they can hang in my yard dont seem to mind when i miss..... if i miss low i can get um on the bounce (judo) sometimes. a high miss on a 3d target is generally more forgiving than a low miss too. ideally i shoot with a rock solid on target hold....

cjchasman
04-26-2011, 07:33 AM
I like to lower to or come down to my target point. It also helps me to focus on my breathing as part of the shot procedure, no punching the release etc.. I did a lot of work on the way I would draw my bow which in turn also helped me settle the pin down to my target point; reducing the amount of time it took to get on target by drawing more in-line w/ the target.

HawgEnvy
04-26-2011, 10:42 AM
generally,i point at the target,then draw while inhaling,then exhaling as I'm settling on target from above. Raising the pin to the target,I think,is coming from treestand hunting. Depending on the individual situation, I keep the bow as low as possible to avoid detection. More so during the later part of the season when I've no leaves for cover.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-27-2011, 08:15 AM
generally,i point at the target,then draw while inhaling,then exhaling as I'm settling on target from above. Raising the pin to the target,I think,is coming from treestand hunting. Depending on the individual situation, I keep the bow as low as possible to avoid detection. More so during the later part of the season when I've no leaves for cover.
You are scaring me HawgEnvy you shoot identical to me. I shoot the same way brother.

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I just want to eliminate variables this year. I had a couple low misses on deer last season and don't want the frustration this season. Of course,it didn't help that I switched bows mid-season either. I won't be doing that again. I'm on a mission this year. 1 deer per week. Shouldn't be to hard if I get my ducks in a row.

martinbowhunter
04-27-2011, 01:49 PM
I just want to eliminate variables this year. I had a couple low misses on deer last season and don't want the frustration this season. Of course,it didn't help that I switched bows mid-season either. I won't be doing that again. I'm on a mission this year. 1 deer per week. Shouldn't be to hard if I get my ducks in a row.

Those slick tricks should help a bunch....and don't forget them pics when you do get one on the ground. What BHs where you using last season?

MLN1963
04-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm on a mission this year. 1 deer per week. Shouldn't be to hard if I get my ducks in a row.

Wow! Can I come hunt with you? A rookie needs them kind of odds.

martinbowhunter
04-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Wow! Can I come hunt with you? A rookie needs them kind of odds.

lol. x2.....

polaris754
04-27-2011, 02:59 PM
always a tough subject , when i am tight on sighting i always do the rock solid hold , but after a half hour or so of target shooting i always come down on my target the fatigue will always get u ;)

HawgEnvy
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
make ur way here. I'll put you both on some deer. There's no shortage on these Michigan farmlands. I'm lookin forward to to using the ST's this year. Last year I was using Magnus 2 blade and T-heads w 2216 aluminum arrows. Carbons and ST's this year. I opened the pkg of tricks today. Those things look evil. I don't remember seeing a replaceable blade that thick or that sharp out of the package. I'm gonna end up tryin em on coons very soon.