PDA

View Full Version : First Blood for the new Silencer

coyotekiller82
04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Managed to nail this prairie rat on Sunday with my Silencer. It was about a 20 yard shot, hit him right in the neck...instant lights out :cool:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/firstbloodsilencer.jpg

Wish I were at home right now and not at work so I could stick some more...hopefully this weekend!

MLN1963
04-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Stripped gophers. Haven't seen them since I lived in Minnesota. That is a small target!

HawgEnvy
04-28-2011, 09:35 AM
nice shot. What BH did you use? Sounds like fun.

MLN1963
04-28-2011, 10:51 AM
My guess is field point.

jandjfab
04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
how do you like your silencer is it smooth

justin
04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
aparently i wasnt the only one gofer hunting sunday. i got mine at 30 yards with a judo...my ax is rockin the skullz camo......

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Do it again again!;)

Hutch:cool:

coyotekiller82
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Okay, I used a judo point for the kill, they don't make much of a hole, but they do kill in short order! Plus there's less chance of losing an arrow.

Justin, I bet your ax is as good looking as my Silencer :cool: I love the skulz camo!

Jandjfab...the Silencer is as smooth as silk...it's hard to put down after every hunt or practice session!

and Hutch, I've been trying for more, only seen one other and he's proving to be quite elusive. He probably won't be out much this weekend either as winter is returning, chance of 8 or so inches....darn Canadian spring. But it will make for some good quadding weather, our local poker derby is on Sunday!:D

Speedykills
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Congrats on a nice kill.................................:p

coyotekiller82
05-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Seeing as how you like pics so much, here's a pic of a double I got yesterday after work!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/529/medium/doublegopher.jpg

Both were shot at 17 yards with the Silencer and judo points. The big male took it right in the neck...the little female took a Texas heart-shot :cool:

I skewered a couple on Saturday but didn't get any pics...sorry Hutch:D

gravedigger
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
thts some fine shootn tex

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Seeing as how you like pics so much, here's a pic of a double I got yesterday after work!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/529/medium/doublegopher.jpg

Both were shot at 17 yards with the Silencer and judo points. The big male took it right in the neck...the little female took a Texas heart-shot

I skewered a couple on Saturday but didn't get any pics...sorry HutchWell its about time! :p

Do it again do it again!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Destroyer
05-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Texas heart-shot

Bit of a 'pet hate' of mine, if its deliberate that is.

MLN1963
05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Okay, what is a "texas heart" shot? :confused:

Money Man
05-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Okay, what is a "texas heart" shot? :confused:

shot through the rear

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Ouch that smarts down there!!!

MLN1963
05-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Ouch that smarts down there!!!

Especially with a judo point!

coyotekiller82
05-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Bit of a 'pet hate' of mine, if its deliberate that is.

I'm not a big fan either Destroyer...I just happened to hit about 2.5" low...she was a bit further than the male...but it did the trick!

I also nailed a rabbit on Thursday night, but didn't get a pic of it...totally forgot about the new video camera as well, it would have been a sweet vid, spot and stalked to within 30 yards then put the hammer down, a perfect spine shot with an instant kill :cool:

coyotekiller82
05-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Also, thanks for the comments guys...I'm really starting to come into my own with the Silencer! I love that bow like it was my child ;)

Rottzilla
05-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Also, thanks for the comments guys...I'm really starting to come into my own with the Silencer! I love that bow like it was my child ;)

I like to hear that since I am looking into getting a Silencer too. I will have to put it on extreme layaway lol but I am going to have it ordered either in June or July. Is there anything you don't like or would like to see changed? any issues with the TRG or SOS?

Oh yeah nice shootin. Now get you some yotes with it. :D

Thanks

Will

coyotekiller82
05-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I like to hear that since I am looking into getting a Silencer too. I will have to put it on extreme layaway lol but I am going to have it ordered either in June or July. Is there anything you don't like or would like to see changed? any issues with the TRG or SOS?

Oh yeah nice shootin. Now get you some yotes with it. :D

Thanks

Will

Will

The only issues I have are the SOS "string slap" when shooting, which is now fixed (accidentally broke it...oops!), and my down cable is showing some premature wear from the TRG, once again my fault for over waxing in that area...still waiting to hear on a replacement cable. Other than those two issues, it's a MILLION times better than my old bow.

Regarding the yotes, I have my stands set up, just need to get out and do some calling to see if I can stab a few!

MLN1963
05-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I like to hear that since I am looking into getting a Silencer too. I will have to put it on extreme layaway lol but I am going to have it ordered either in June or July.

Thanks

Will

If you are waiting until then you might as well wait for the 2012s to come out. There may be some improvements!

Rottzilla
05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
If you are waiting until then you might as well wait for the 2012s to come out. There may be some improvements!

MLN you may just have something there. I was not thinking about that. By the time I get it ordered and I get it out of layaway it just might be time for the next years bows to come out.

Sorry for the HIjack now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Will

Simple Life
05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
The only issues I have are the SOS "string slap" when shooting,

Got a Limbsaver Decelerator this week and going to take off the SOS and see how much noise is reduced if any.BTW good shooting CK.

Rottzilla
05-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Got a Limbsaver Decelerator this week and going to take off the SOS and see how much noise is reduced if any.BTW good shooting CK.

SL Please keep us updated on this thanks.

Will

Destroyer
05-24-2011, 06:03 PM
I just happened to hit about 2.5" low

Understand. Not a big target anyway. :)

Rockyhud
05-25-2011, 07:29 PM
We have a LOT of these critters around our area too. They're referred to as 13-stripe ground squirrels and PESTS they are. Besides occupying burrows left by the likewise offensive pocket gophers, they also dig their own, which are generally just shallow enough that they collapse when you walk on top and can cause a person to sprain their ankle if they're not careful. They're also bad for horses for the same reason. I've been shooting them with my air rifle but I think I may have to take up the challenge to see if I can take some out with stick and string.

gibson 787
05-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Managed to nail this prairie rat on Sunday with my Silencer. It was about a 20 yard shot, hit him right in the neck...instant lights out

Good shooting CK 82. Tell me, are those prarie rats good eating, or you don't bother? I've tasted what we call bush rats down here, a bit like rabbit, but not much flesh on em. I'd rather get a meal from a goanna, they're better, more like a mixture of chicken and fish.

Rockyhud
05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't know how big they are where CK82 lives but the ones here (Colorado), even if they were tasty morsels, wouldn't be worth the time skinning and cooking as they don't have much meat on 'em.

coyotekiller82
05-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Good shooting CK 82. Tell me, are those prarie rats good eating, or you don't bother? I've tasted what we call bush rats down here, a bit like rabbit, but not much flesh on em. I'd rather get a meal from a goanna, they're better, more like a mixture of chicken and fish.

I can't say for sure what they taste like, but I do know that during the "dirty 30's" a lot of residents on the prairies supplemented their meager diets with these stripped gophers. I'd hate to have to do that as they're usually flea riddled and often have ticks as well...and like the one's in Colorado where Rockyhud resides, they're fairly skimpy on any sort of meat. :cool:

And Rockyhud...you don't know what you're missing!! Before last year I only shot 'em with rimfire or center fire rifles...I'm hooked on gettin' 'em now with the stick and string :D

Destroyer
05-27-2011, 03:40 PM
I can't say for sure what they taste like, but I do know that during the "dirty 30's" a lot of residents on the prairies supplemented their meager diets with these stripped gophers.

Wouldn't think they would be nice, rodent's yuk. Of course if you were hungry enough you would eat just about anything, tripe, etc.