PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Drop-away rests please

ryonkman
04-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi, I'm a new Martin owner and new to the forum. I recently bought a new 2010 Bengal with a roller cable guard and I'm looking to purchase a new drop away rest. I'm looking hard at the NAP Apache and the G5 Expert 1. Maybe a Trophy Ridge Drop zone or Trophy Taker too. Any opinions on these four rests guys? I've always liked NAP so I'm kind of leaning towards that. However, the Apache looks bulky, does it fit with a Martin roller guard? Help and opinions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

HawgEnvy
04-29-2011, 07:49 AM
the only one of the four mentioned that I've used is the Trophy Taker. Absolutely bullet proof design. Serve the cable in and forget about it. I've been using them on all my bows since the original first hit the market and have never had a problem that wasn't my fault. I had the bow in the car and something hit the drop rest and bent it. I ended up breaking it while trying to straighten it. It was replaced at no cost at the pro shop due to the lifetime warranty. I highly recommend TT. Durable,solid construction and quiet operation.

almost forgot. Welcome to the forum. And for Hutch...got pics of your set-up? Show it off and feel free to ask ANYthing.

cyclepath
04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
A friend uses a trophy taker and he really likes it. I have shot his bow and I see no problems with it but I still like my qad hd better.

daveinohio
04-29-2011, 09:12 AM
I have been using the NAP Apache for 4 months on my 2010 Pantera. There is barely enough room under the roller guard but it does fit. It is my first drop-away and I found it easy to set up. So far I like it a lot.

archerx7
04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Vaportrail LimbDriver is the only drop away that I use on my own bows anymore, simple and easy setup and they tune very easy. I used to use nothing but TT drop aways but I like dual cam bows and the LD won't cause any tuning or cam timing issues.

Scott
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
I was talking to a guy at the local range, and he put it to me like this " if your up in a tree stand and that once in a life time moment comes, and it is dirrectly under you, a whisker biscut is what you want". And that is what he had, on all of his bows. My daughters bow has a drop, and it is loud, even with padding it has a nice thud, just like any drop away will.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I was talking to a guy at the local range, and he put it to me like this " if your up in a tree stand and that once in a life time moment comes, and it is dirrectly under you, a whisker biscut is what you want". And that is what he had, on all of his bows. My daughters bow has a drop, and it is loud, even with padding it has a nice thud, just like any drop away will.
I don't use a drop away, if I did I probably use the same as archerx7. I do use a Bodoodle zapper 300 it is very accurate. I have used a whisker and thought they were good but a little noisy.

Hutch:cool:

SonnyThomas
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM
I've tried and own a few drop rests. No complaints.
2) Trophy Taker (standard) and Shakey Hunter
3) Trophy Ridge - Drop Zone
4 - 9) NAP - Apache (excellent price - own one), QuikTune 4000, SmartRest, 2000, 2100 - Freedom should be used by experienced shooter - own one
10) Trap Door - no longer made - no draw cord - own one
11) Bodoodle - Doodle Drop - own one
12) Limb Driver - own one
13) Golden Key - own one
14) Black (something)

bigbob29
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
On the advice of several forum members a while back when I bought my Razor X SE, I went for a limbdriver by Vaportrail. Being a finger shooter with my other bow using plungers etc.,and havent had any experience with drop aways, I have to say it exceeded my expectations. Set up and tuned within minutes, no noise in operation and very accurate. I would recommend it for sure.

NuttyNative
04-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I have used the Trophy Taker Pronghorn, the QAD, and the Ripcord. The Ripcord is the only one I'll use from now on. It has full containment, quiet, and works every time.

Nemesis03
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I won't shoot anything other than a Limbdriver. Absolutely the simplest design. Quick setup and adjustment.

jandjfab
04-30-2011, 04:29 AM
i shhot a ripcord code red and love it never tried the other drop aways

Spiker
04-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Have Limb Drivers on 4 bows and will be needing another one.

gravedigger
04-30-2011, 06:46 AM
no dropaway for me.shot them and did not much care for them.i like my octane hostage rest.

Spiker
04-30-2011, 08:46 AM
no dropaway for me.shot them and did not much care for them.i like my octane hostage rest.

I have the NAP 360 on one of my bows and one of my wifes. I havent had any problems with them and like them a bit better than the octanes because of the teflon pad on the bottom rather than the brush that tends to wear.

Rockyhud
04-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Limb Driver for me too. I don't know what Scott's LD setup was like but from my experience there might have been something else making noise as mine is and always has been absolutely quiet as regards to the rest. Now I did find one minor area that created a slight twang noise and that was the tension cord as it was drawn tight to pull the rest fork down. I placed a couple of No-Glove rubber grips on it (one near the top, one near the bottom) to dampen it and it took care of that - no more noise or twang at all.

The LD is extremely easy to setup, doesn't put a load on any buss/control cables and has been totally reliable. One thing more about it - the LD stays up and supports the arrow for close to 70% of the length of the shaft as the arrow is traveling forward during the shot which helps ensure proper guidance out of the bow. Yet it gets out of the way quickly so there isn't any fletching clearance problem.

As to Whisker Biscuit rests, I had one on an earlier bow and while it does work well I, like many others, found it caused a wrinkling (waviness) in the top of all vanes after they've passed through it several times. This is due to the friction the WB bristles create as the vanes pass through. The WB bristles also wear down over time as more arrows pass through which will affect accuracy and grouping tightness. With my LD rest, all I ever have to do is maybe once a year or two replace the moleskin I apply to the rest forks and it's all good to go again.

Nemesis03
04-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Limb Driver for me too. I don't know what Scott's LD setup was like but from my experience there might have been something else making noise as mine is and always has been absolutely quiet as regards to the rest. Now I did find one minor area that created a slight twang noise and that was the tension cord as it was drawn tight to pull the rest fork down. I placed a couple of No-Glove rubber grips on it (one near the top, one near the bottom) to dampen it and it took care of that - no more noise or twang at all.

The LD is extremely easy to setup, doesn't put a load on any buss/control cables and has been totally reliable. One thing more about it - the LD stays up and supports the arrow for close to 70% of the length of the shaft as the arrow is traveling forward during the shot which helps ensure proper guidance out of the bow. Yet it gets out of the way quickly so there isn't any fletching clearance problem.

As to Whisker Biscuit rests, I had one on an earlier bow and while it does work well I, like many others, found it caused a wrinkling (waviness) in the top of all vanes after they've passed through it several times. This is due to the friction the WB bristles create as the vanes pass through. The WB bristles also wear down over time as more arrows pass through which will affect accuracy and grouping tightness. With my LD rest, all I ever have to do is maybe once a year or two replace the moleskin I apply to the rest forks and it's all good to go again.

Either go to a Limbdriven to the Max from Schmidtys specialty strings or just install a slipjax string silencer onto the cord, no more twang.

gravedigger
04-30-2011, 12:04 PM
I have the NAP 360 on one of my bows and one of my wifes. I havent had any problems with them and like them a bit better than the octanes because of the teflon pad on the bottom rather than the brush that tends to wear.

i have thought about the NAP 360 because of the bottom brushes on mine ware out after 1000 shots or so..my buddy has one on his bengal,he digs it.i might get one for next years hunt.

SonnyThomas
04-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Saw something about the draw cord effecting timing/loading the buss/control cables. Properly set up none of the draw cord drop rests effects timing or load to the point it effects the bow in any manner. Again, properly adjusted.

Most, if not all, draw cord rests instruct to have the rest fully up anywhere from 1" to 1 1/2" before reaching full draw and having the rest fully up 2" before full draw is not uncommon. You adjust for best guidance. If you want it to drop faster than necessary is personal perference.

I think each and every drop rest has it's pluses and minues - most through adjusting or tweaking factor. One down side of the Limb Driver is the long draw cord and the longer it is the more "twang" of the string. I have a Limb Driver on my Shadowcat - try that for length of string.

Rockyhud
04-30-2011, 01:43 PM
The reason I used No-Glove pieces was about a year ago I had seen that Strothers Archery used these on their bow strings to function as combo silencers and speed nocks. I decided to try the same and was pleasantly surprised they worked as both. using the "double-finger" pieces for the string left the "single" pieces not used at the time. Having determined the LD activation cord was producing some twang I decided to try these left over pieces on it and sure enough they did the trick.

Nemesis03 suggestions for alternate dampeners might work as well - I simply had these available and they worked for me.

I noticed gravedigger's comment about Octane rest brushes and thought I'd pass on a little that I discovered from a good buddy's experience. He had (maybe still has) an Octane rest on his Quest bow. I don't think he shot it all that much before last year's archery elk season but one evening as we were putting our equipment away I noticed the bottom brushes splayed out and not supporting the arrow like it should - there was a significant gap between the upper brushes and shaft - causing his accuracy and grouping to suffer. We tried to adjust it up as much as possible, which helped, but could tell this wouldn't last long.

As he had to work the next day I went to the local archery shop to get a replacement lower brush. The shop pro didn't have any and as she was looking for anything that could be used instead told me they used to sell the Octane but after having about 40 of the 50 they sold come back for repair or replacement due to the brushes doing what my buddy's had they stopped selling them. She also said BowTech (who now owns Octane) was not easy to work with regarding getting parts for these rests. That was about 7-8 months ago so things could be better now but that was enough to convince me to stay away from that product. She also mentioned the NAP 360 as a possibly good alternative to the Octane even though they didn't carry the line.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Get the QAD ULtra rest HD. Its by far the best fall away rest on the market. It is pricey but you get what you pay for. You can get a good deal on ebay if you shop around. I would not waste my time with any other rest. You get pull containment and never have to worry about fletching clearance. When you draw on a deer you can let down on the string if you have no shot and not have to worry about the rest going off. The NAP 360 big waste you hit fletching many times and you might as well spend the extra $40 and get quality.