PDA

View Full Version : has anyonetaken there risers down to the aluminium

gravedigger
04-30-2011, 07:17 AM
i was just thinking about the aluminium risers and how sweet(for target shooters) it would be to have a polishd aluminium riser.has anyone done this befor?takin the finish off ond used a polishing compound to shine it up?i think it would look sweet.should this even be done?

Spiker
04-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Sure. Polishing it and then putting a clear powdercoat over it is better tho - then it wont corrode.
I just got an '05 Cougar that I plan on stripping, powdercoating chrome with a second coat of translucent orange.

bigbob29
04-30-2011, 05:37 PM
what a co incidence! i have just about finished taking the camo paint off my cougar elite 2000 riser and going that bit further and polishing the fuzion cam and idler as well . Once I find a camera that works in this household [ doesnt pay to have a camera and a bottle of water in the same back pack!] I might post a photo.

Scott
04-30-2011, 06:08 PM
How are you taking the camo off? Soda blast, sand blast or some form a chemical stripping?? I see most of the good blinds are all black inside, sure would be nice to have a bow that is black. I wouldn't want to take apart a new bow an strip it.

martinbowhunter
04-30-2011, 09:41 PM
You guy's are crazy! lol. Sweet idea though. GD, what you gonna do when huntin time comes around?

bigbob29
04-30-2011, 10:54 PM
My cougar is strictly for targets and I am doing it the hard way. Sandpaper! I will get to use metal polish sometime soon and I will post a photo.It is obvious I have too much time on my hands. Also would never do this on my hunting bow. Might as well tie cow bells around my legs if I did that

gravedigger
05-01-2011, 06:09 AM
You guy's are crazy! lol. Sweet idea though. GD, what you gonna do when huntin time comes around?

i should have mentioned that i was just thinking it would look cool.i have no plans on stripin my bow down.if i ever get another bow or 6 then maybe i will think about polishing one up for fun.but no way am i going to polish up my hunting bow.i just thought it would look good for a 3d shooter,having a bow to a really high shine.blinding your compition with your shiny bow.

spekwa66
05-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Sure. Polishing it and then putting a clear powdercoat over it is better tho - then it wont corrode.
I just got an '05 Cougar that I plan on stripping, powdercoating chrome with a second coat of translucent orange.

You have to send me a pic when you get this done!:cool:

HawgEnvy
05-01-2011, 07:19 AM
You have to send me a pic when you get this done!:cool:

nooo. He has to POST pics when it's done.

bigbob29
05-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Hopefully you might be able to see a couple shots of my cougar. I have only used emery paper so far. Still have to get some metal polish and finish it. Would be cool if I had the red Fuzion sticker on the cam too.

TOMAXIMUS
05-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Pretty cool.

bigbob29
05-03-2011, 04:55 PM
T.T.T. any further comments?

gravedigger
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
looks nice.just what i though it would look like.if i get a few more bows then i might just have to do the same.

bigbob29
05-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Obviously no good for a hunting bow unless you hand out sunglasses!

gravedigger
05-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Obviously no good for a hunting bow unless you hand out sunglasses!

aint that the truth.but it is a leg up in the 3d.you justhave to get a really high shine and blind the compition.

bfisher
05-04-2011, 08:50 AM
aint that the truth.but it is a leg up in the 3d.you justhave to get a really high shine and blind the compition.

That's what I was thinking. If ya can't outshoot them then blind them.

Tell me something. When you strip the dip or powder coating off there obviously has to be machining marks. How did you polish them out?

gravedigger
05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
mr.fisher i would use mothers polisand a polshingwhel on a drill and shine that bad boy up.

bigbob29
05-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah i'm gunna try some form of metal polish and just hand rub it.Might wave it around then just as opposition is about to shoot and give 'em snow blindness!