PDA

View Full Version : TRG strikes again.

gravedigger
05-04-2011, 05:37 AM
my buddy who bought a exile is having the issue with the TRG.its just tareing up his set up.no good.i told him to call martin cs and to call the shop he bought it from to see whats up.good thing martin is just drive into washington.i told him i would take him there myself to get this workd out.he wants a ccs or the stock rod and slide.not looking good for the TRG

kylecurtis04
05-04-2011, 06:42 AM
why are so many ppl having problems with the TRG? Ive sent well over hundreds of arrows through my bow with no problems with the TRG.

MLN1963
05-04-2011, 07:13 AM
GD

Is his adjusted correctly? Mine was correct from the factory. I played with it and could find no better position so it went back to the factory position.

Is it causing his cables to fray like mine did? My down cable was the worst and I think that is to be expected because it is the outer cable and has the most tension on it. The TRG is smooth as a baby's butt so I don't understand why it does it?

gravedigger
05-04-2011, 07:26 AM
GD

Is his adjusted correctly? Mine was correct from the factory. I played with it and could find no better position so it went back to the factory position.

Is it causing his cables to fray like mine did? My down cable was the worst and I think that is to be expected because it is the outer cable and has the most tension on it. The TRG is smooth as a baby's butt so I don't understand why it does it?

yep,you are correct.cabels are fraying in the same manner from what he is saying.i have not seen his bow yet and have not yet had a chance to do any adjustments.today we are going to glass for elk and do a bit of shooting.so i will have a chance to assess the situation my self.the funny thing is,the shop went through the bow and tunded it befor we walked out with it.i was there when we bought it so i told them to go through everything......i had them check for burs,adjust draw,set nock,sicht it in,adjust the drop away and set the TRG.but i will look at it today.ive been learning alot about them new set up's and am hoping that maybe i can get it right if his cabels are not too bad.if there about shot then its off to martin head quarters we go.

nuker
05-04-2011, 12:20 PM
I brought this up on another post, but it may well be an issue here. I have 2 Onza's - mine and my son's. It seems the longer the drawlength, the more the cable is prone to slap the front of the inner cable slide slot. With the Onza's we have, the riser is not cut all the way, so the rod cannot be adjusted anymore forward. We cut our rods down to fit. No pressure on the rear of the slot while at draw, and not slapping the front on the release. Took several trims to get it down enough. My cable was getting beat up pretty bad, had a bad noise on release, and the arrow flight wasn't consistant. Trimming the rod straightened it up on both bows. Took care of this on my boy's bow before he ever shot it. Some of the risers I'm seeing are cut all the way through, so they can just be adjusted more forward. Something to look at. Good luck.

wick
05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
When I got mine the first thing that i noticed that the TRG itself started to get little grooves in it where the outer string was sliding. After further observation I noticed that The TRG was tilted slightly downward causing all the pressure from the string to be right on the upper side instead of the middle of it. I loosend the bolts and twisted it and since have had no issues. My strings are in great shape but I wax the heck out of them after every time i shoot. (I strongly recommend this.) I still think that it should be moved forward a little bit toward the riser on my particular set-up but have no idea if that would be correct. Seems a little high maint. look for Martin to retrofit this design somehow, I like the purpose of the TRG but still needs to be improved.

gibson 787
05-04-2011, 02:55 PM
my buddy who bought a exile is having the issue with the TRG.its just tareing up his set up.no good.i told him to call martin cs and to call the shop he bought it from to see whats up.good thing martin is just drive into washington.i told him i would take him there myself to get this workd out.he wants a ccs or the stock rod and slide.not looking good for the TRG

From my experience, I've found that the less twists there are in the string/cable, the more they mess up. Also, applying plenty of wax on the sections that pass over the TRG definitely helps. Of course you have to balance up the tuning process of twisting to help disintegration, as opposed to keeping correct bow specs. It would help if string and cables were 1/4" long to begin with.

One thing that won't work, is serving string/cable where it passes over TRG, it'll protect string/cable, but you'll end up slowing the bow down, wearing away the TRG and increase noise.

gravedigger
05-06-2011, 06:49 AM
well his cabel is not as bad as he made it out to be.not bad at all.im thinking there was some string fraying and he took it as strings were breaking.i seen no need for adjusting anything just yet.how ever the bow is really loud,and cam timing is off.oh and the #5 mode thats in the cam has them sharp edgese that have cut into the serving.i am going to file it sowna nd smooth it up.then im aveing him take it back to the shop he got it from to have it re-served at the cam.i really dont care for the TRG.im not sure why but its just one of thouse things i dont want on my bow.he really wants to go with a ccs or a rod and slide.

gravedigger
05-14-2011, 08:29 PM
just a bit of an updaate on the bow.took it to archers afield and they replaced the trg with a rod.and took care of the peep rotation that i did not know about.

MLN1963
05-15-2011, 04:49 AM
GD

I don't understand how something touching the cables would have a positive effect on the string? That sounds like a coincidence to me.

Ehunter
05-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm wondering if Martin is going to keep the TRG for next year. I do like the concept of it, but I think they would be FAR ahead if they made the thing about 1/8th-1/4 inch longer. That would be a simple fix to put an end to all the string slap and wear from hitting the ends. Maybe even change the angle slightly to allow a little less clearance. Might make for a more stable TRG as well.

wscywabbit
05-15-2011, 12:55 PM
I agree, making the channels longer would solve alot of issues I think. Or even putting in an angled bar and slide like rockyhud built for his firecat...

I haven't noticed any wear on mine yet, probably too soon. But I can't quite get the "slap" all of the way out of it, just most of the way.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-15-2011, 01:04 PM
The TRG concept is good I think it just needs to be fined tuned. There is a guy on here with a custom slide he built himself. The rod is like a regular cable rod but is bent at an angle to let the regular cable slide go in that same 45 degree angle. Maybe Martin can do that to make this concept better.

bfisher
05-15-2011, 06:13 PM
The TRG concept is good I think it just needs to be fined tuned. There is a guy on here with a custom slide he built himself. The rod is like a regular cable rod but is bent at an angle to let the regular cable slide go in that same 45 degree angle. Maybe Martin can do that to make this concept better.

That would be Rockyhud. He has his own thread with pictures if you're interested.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-16-2011, 03:04 PM
That would be Rockyhud. He has his own thread with pictures if you're interested.

Yes bfisher you are correct that is him. Martin should hire him as the engineer lol. That rod concept seems like a good modification. Do you think that would work well?

bfisher
05-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Yes bfisher you are correct that is him. Martin should hire him as the engineer lol. That rod concept seems like a good modification. Do you think that would work well?

Yeah, not only an easy modification, but so simple and clean. The old cliche, no moving parts or screws to rattle loose.