PDA

View Full Version : 45-60lb onza 3 maxes @ 53lb????

Olydog
05-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I purchased a used Onza that is supposed to be a 45-60lb bow. When maxed it reaches 53#. :mad: At 8 turns out it hits 37lbs with alot of adjustment left to back it off. I am attaching pictures of the sticker on the bow,. It looks like maybe it was tampered with. If you look at the limbsaver it is attached on top or over the sticker itself. Does anyone know if this is normal? And any ideas on why it is so low on poundage would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott

mudpig
05-05-2011, 11:28 AM
The easy way to tell would be to look at the limb deflection numbers on the limbs. This alpha numeric is on the under side of the limbs and is in a white pen writing. I'm not sure about your bow, but my 45-60# Silencer (very similar to your bow) has 3HP on it. I think that your bow will be similar. Maybe a 3LP, 3MP, 3HP. Those should be for the 45-60 bows. I notice that your bow was assembled by the same individual that mine was. My bow was, as yours, very light when maxed out, and ended up adding 8 or 10 twists to each cable to get the weight up where it was supposed to be.

Hope this helps

wscywabbit
05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
yep, as mudpig stated, you probably just need to tighten up the cables a few twists, which will raise your poundage (assuming you have the right limbs). Make sure that you measure your brace height and axle to axle as well to make sure you're in spec!

MLN1963
05-05-2011, 11:45 AM
A question to further my knowledge. If you twist the cables to get the poundage up do you need to do anything to the string?

It will be interesting to see what the before and after axle to axle measurements are.

mudpig
05-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Before I forget (again) welcome to the forum Olydog! I should have prefaced my last post with the recommendation to take the string and both cables off your bow and measure them. You are checking to see if they are at the factory spec length. That length is what's posted on the sticker on your bow. I think that you might find that the cables are long. Get the string and cable to factory length and remeasure draw weight. If draw weight is still not at 60#, then you can add equal number of twists to each cable in order to bring your weight up to 60#

To answer MLN1963's question.....adding twists to the cables will increase draw length and shorten ATA slightly. If the draw length has been lengthened too much, then the draw stop can be adjusted to bring it back down to where you need it. Changing the position of the draw stop will change your amount of letoff.

wscywabbit
05-05-2011, 11:59 AM
A question to further my knowledge. If you twist the cables to get the poundage up do you need to do anything to the string?

It will be interesting to see what the before and after axle to axle measurements are.

The cables on a bow are used to bend the bow limbs while the bow is at rest. The more the limbs are bent, the more they are "loaded" and the higher the poundage. Adding twists to your cable(s) will increase both your poundage and your brace height, and shorten your ATA. But the change to your bowstring and draw length will be minimal.

You can add/remove twists in your bowstring as well, which will change the draw length (usually up to about 1/4" safely), but the impact on ATA, brace, and draw weight will be minimal...

If you want more info on the particulars, follow this link:

http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf

archerx7
05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
The deflection numbers on my 60# Onza are 3HP and it maxes at 60.4#. If your limbs are the same deflection as mine, check your string and cable lengths as it dosen't take much to throw the poundage off.

Being a used bow, the previous owner may have lengthened the cables or short strung it to drop the DW or DL or may have done both to get it to fit them better.

Your sticker looks fine, dosen't appear as though anyone has tampered with it.

Scott
05-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I had the same issue/question. My 70 was tapped out at 63/65, and ATA was 34. Spec's say 33", what's an inch, nothing. So did what they said, and twisted my new strings and cable/split , 16 twists to each. Hit the magic 70 pound mark and the ATA went to 33 3/4". My sights and peep were still spot on, nothing moved out of whack.

Olydog
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the info. It has the 3hp limb numbers. I know the shooting string is the right length. I am going to check the cables and get back to you all. Thanks for the welcome. By the way I also own a Martin Pantera that is on loan to a buddy while he makes payments on it. I also own a Darton Pro3500 and a Pse Axe-7. I want to get this Onza on spec so I can compare it to the other bows and see how it stacks up. My initial intent for this bow is as a treestand bow and maybe indoor 20 yard shoots.. Scott

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum! I see you got your string on ok that's good. So it is just a matter of getting the string and cables to specs. Once you have that done that bow should preform very well. This is the place that will get you and your bow on track.

Hutch:cool:

Olydog
05-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Okay here is the low-down. The cables were both 1/2" long. I twisted them up and got it shooting so I can set it up. Now I need to order a set of cables. I will order a full set of strings and have some for back up. Thanks Scott