PDA

View Full Version : Interchangable Parts on Martin bows?

MartinMan
05-09-2011, 05:32 AM
I recently bought a 2004 Marting Magnum Cougar III. I have read a few threads about people puting different cams and so forth on their bows. I am wondering how many different parts can be swapted one my bow whether is be just the cams, limbs, strings and cables....ect. I would appreciate any feed back I can get. Thanks to anyone who can help and have a wonderful day/night.

bfisher
05-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Yours appears to have the 14" limbs which I think are available yet. You cannot update to the Cat/Cat II, or Nitro cams as these require the newer 13" reinforced limbs. As it is you have the older, discontinued Nitrous cams, which in many peoples' opinions including mine, are one of the best cams systems ever developed. It would serve no useful purpose to try to put any of the newer cam systems on your bow as there would be little if any speed gain, and the cost would be unrealistic anyway.

My suggestion would be to just be happy with the bow as is. Maybe, when necessary upgrade to a good set of custom strings made out of BCY Trophy. These can be had from many of the custom string makers on Archery Talk, such as Vapor Trail, H&M, and others. Maybe change out the VEM's in the riser for the newer ones.

MartinMan
05-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Well thank you very much. I do not intend to try to take away or add different parts. I was curious to see if it was actually possible. I am looking into getting a new set of custom strings next week. The bow is actually in pieces right now while I am painting it. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Brian

bfisher
05-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Forgot to welcome you to the forums. Keep checking back. There are sure to be some more useful posts coming your way. This has quite a few very knowledgable guys floating around.

MLN1963
05-09-2011, 09:38 AM
I am looking into getting a new set of custom strings next week.
Brian

Brian

I would like to throw in a plug for Hutch-n-Son and Archerx7 of this forum. Both contribute a lot to this forum and happen to make custom strings. Maybe you would be interested in getting a set of strings from one of them?

Arrow Splitter
05-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Brian

I would like to throw in a plug for Hutch-n-Son and Archerx7 of this forum.
Thanks MLN.
Welcome to the forum Brian.:)

A.S

MartinMan
05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Brian

I would like to throw in a plug for Hutch-n-Son and Archerx7 of this forum. Both contribute a lot to this forum and happen to make custom strings. Maybe you would be interested in getting a set of strings from one of them?

Thats some more great info. thank you for pointing me in a good direction!

Forgot to welcome you to the forums. Keep checking back. There are sure to be some more useful posts coming your way. This has quite a few very knowledgable guys floating around.

I will deff be checking back in. This is just the first Marting I am going to own. I hope to purchase a 2011 Firecat 400 or a RidgeHunter, just cant decide yet. Again, thank you for the warm welcome.

Spiker
05-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the Martin family.
There is lots and lots of things you can change on your Cougar.
Limbs, cams, grips etc. A whole bunch of different combo's, however - the way it is configured now is a VERY good set-up.
I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting it and any questions you have will sure to be answered on this forum.

MartinMan
05-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks Spiker, glad I could be a part of this forum!

Destroyer
05-09-2011, 03:39 PM
My suggestion would be to just be happy with the bow as is.

X2

Unless you have a lot of all parts lying around or you can get them cheap, your probably better off with a new bow. Probably ;)

MartinMan
05-11-2011, 12:22 PM
No, I dont have a lot of extra parts for it. I was just curious to what the bow is capable of. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Brian

thanks MLN1963

Hutch:cool:

MLN1963
05-11-2011, 01:43 PM
No problem.

Destroyer
05-11-2011, 06:08 PM
No, I dont have a lot of extra parts for it. I was just curious to what the bow is capable of. :)

Fair enough, I like to tinker too. :)

HawgEnvy
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I recently bought a 2004 Marting Magnum Cougar III. I have read a few threads about people puting different cams and so forth on their bows. I am wondering how many different parts can be swapted one my bow whether is be just the cams, limbs, strings and cables....ect. I would appreciate any feed back I can get. Thanks to anyone who can help and have a wonderful day/night.

he's talkin bout my old cougar. Glad to see you made it,Brian. My internet has been down for the last week. Maybe I can get back into the swing o things. Woo hoo!

gibson 787
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM

I'll second that. :)

HawgEnvy
05-13-2011, 05:47 AM
hey Brian, those limbs/cams were just a couple days away from being put on my '08 Cheetah. I was getting the string lengths figured out. I gotta blame Hutch for that one since he was to busy planning vacations instead of doing string work. Lol. J/k Hutch.