PDA

View Full Version : another thought ?

polaris754
05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
hey when I first started out bow shootin , my draw length measured 27,5 , well at the dealer um he said I should be at 30 >? well I have been 30 ever since, and have been checked at another pro shop, and he also says 30 , my question is would I be better off going down to maybe 29 or 28 ? just opinion to gain any more accuracy , I know I will lose some fps in doing so :confused: also I guess my name is mike thank u have a nice day

Destroyer
05-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Like I said in another thread mate, there are older posts by you saying the draw length was 29". That was before you sent the bow in to be repaired and you were shooting it well.

You will loose about 10 fps per inch of draw length but your accuracy won't be any good if the draw length is too long.

bfisher
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Although getting measured for draw length is a good place to begin it's not the end of the journey. How the bow aims is how you find your optimum draw length and it's likely to NOT be some even number. 2 1/2" is quite a change.

I'' try to keep this as short as possible and still give decent guidance. Ifbow's draw length is too long you will find the sight pin floating around in fairly big circles or figure 8 pattern, kind of slow in a large pattern. As you shorten the draw the pattern will become smaller and more controllable. As you get at or very near your optimum setting the bow will settle down and aim with less movement and without as much effort on your part. You can shorten up more and see that if it's too short you're back to that figure 8 pattern, but in a smaller more jerky, uncontrollable motion.

I'd have to say I'm suspicious about how you got measured in the first place. As I said, a 2 1/2" change is quite a bit. But you can do no harm in trying different modules or module settings and see how the bow reacts.

cyclepath
05-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Just another thing to consider is where your head and bow arm are at. You should always have some bend in your bow arm. You should be able to push the bow when you are aiming. If your bow arm is straight out you can't push the bow away when you aim and that will effect your shot, ie figure 8s and circles when you shoot. If your head is back over your shoulder you will never get a consistant shot. It's better to go shorter and be more accurate than add 10 fps and be less accurate. jmo

SonnyThomas
05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
I have to go with bfisher. 2 or 2 1/2" is suspicious. I believe he pretty much described too long and too short. I would add; Too much draw weight can have your sight wandering around.

Forget numbers as in draw length. The thing you want is proper bow fit. You have to question yourself; Shoulder down as it should be, does your bow arm feel strong, but relaxed? Does your string arm feel at ease, unforced? Do you have to search/feel to anchor?