PDA

View Full Version : Low end to High end Martin bows (

TIGON
05-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I see comments posted on how one bow is a high end bow and another is a low end. I compared the features and specs and they all appear very similar besides DL, BH, ATA and weight (which all appear to be the users preference). I recently purchased a Martin Rack Attack (Exile) and compared to the Firecat 360, I don't really see a difference. I don't understand the difference between the gold and pro series besides the pro series is only sold in Martin Pro shops.

MLN1963
05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
The 360 has about 2" longer axle to axle. But you are right, most bows spec out at 315-320 so it is a bit hard to pick one.

Speedykills
05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Alot of the bows do look alike it would be hard to choose one,i got my bow for a good price off AT,didnt realize it was a pro series bow until i looked at Martins 2010 cat.
So at least i can say i have a pro series bow,not sommin from dicks sporting goods......just messin with you there all good bows.

bbjavelina
05-12-2011, 01:57 PM
There's a lot more to a bow than just the published specs.
Like;
Do the cams/idlers have bearings or bushings?
Are the limbs laminated or not?
Is the riser cast or forged?
What material for strings/cables?
the latest designs have a significant R&D component

Probably more, but that's what come to mind just now.

polaris754
05-12-2011, 02:14 PM
U GET WHAT U PAY FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!1 :rolleyes:

bfisher
05-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I deleted your duplicate thread for you.

SonnyThomas
05-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Of the low and high, this is Martin's marketing program. Low end can be sold by anyone and the high end is for full dealerships. (I think I said that correctly.) I've got both and I can't see a difference either. (Groan! Just what I needed, another bow. - Maybe wife won't notice. If you don't hear from me if my wife finds out.......)

TIGON
05-12-2011, 03:48 PM
There's a lot more to a bow than just the published specs.
Like;
Do the cams/idlers have bearings or bushings?
Are the limbs laminated or not?
Is the riser cast or forged?
What material for strings/cables?
the latest designs have a significant R&D component

Probably more, but that's what come to mind just now.

Where do you get that kind of info? When you look at Martin's website they don't list that stuff. Thanks for the delete, bfisher.
Also, speedykills, I don't understand your spelling, smart guy. Lol
I'm new to this and just looking for help. Thanks to the ones for the help.

Simple Life
05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Where do you get that kind of info? When you look at Martin's website they don't list that stuff. .

Stick around here and you will learn lots from the members on here and don't be afraid to ask questions,everybody is always willing to help.

SL

Destroyer
05-12-2011, 03:57 PM
If you don't hear from me if my wife finds out.......

We all go to the sale at your wife's house and pickup some cheap gear! :D

wscywabbit
05-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Honestly, I don't believe that it is a matter of "Pro series is better than Gold", as even the Gold series has higher priced bows, utilize the same options, technology, and warranty as the Pro line.

From what I've read from other posts (and correct me if I'm wrong guys), any sporting goods store can sell the gold series, but they must have a contract as a Martin Pro Shop to sell the Pro series... which gives them some extra street cred, the ability to do warranty work for Martin, and a larger selection of bows to sell.

SonnyThomas
05-12-2011, 05:55 PM
We all go to the sale at your wife's house and pickup some cheap gear! :D

That hurts, D.

Scott
05-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I would like to see a Rytera dealer in Arizona. It must be the SB 1070 bill scarring off the Alien Bows, maybe?? :eek:

Speedykills
05-12-2011, 06:12 PM
your probaly right about the contract part,as bass pro,cabelas only carry gold series.But as far as saying pro and gold series is no difference i will have to disagree.
Pro series come with parts that are upgrades in the gold series,say strings and cables,limbs,bearings,ect,ect.
If somebody bought a pro series bow and someone bought a gold series bow for have the cost and said thety used the same parts and IBO was the same someone might cry foul on that........................

Ehunter
05-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I think this years line up has little difference between the Gold and Pro series. Always before you had upgrades from the Gold line as standard on the Pro series. This year, it seems like they are trying to phase out the Gold and Pro, and just unify everything into one line eventually. All bows have the same strings, cams, bearings, everything until you get down to the Ridge Hunter and Exile. And why is a Gold series bow the only one that comes with a cloak package as standard? (The Pantera) Just seems they have taken the value out of their Pro series.

wscywabbit
05-12-2011, 07:11 PM
You're right, the pro series usually has a few options that are standard, that are upgradable on the gold series...

The main point of my earlier post is that the quality between the two is the same... and even if you buy one of the less expensive models you can get the same options if you choose to pay for them. However, the more expensive gold line models will have them as standard also.

Destroyer
05-13-2011, 02:07 AM
That hurts, D.

You mean you wouldn't get any pleasure from me shooting your shadowcat's? ;)

TIGON
05-13-2011, 04:31 AM
U GET WHAT U PAY FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!1 :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm still not getting it. My Martin Rack Attack (Exile) came with the SOS system upgrade. So is it like polaris754 said "U GET WHAT U PAY FOR". Well, are you paying extra just to say you have a specific series or name? I do see the benefit from buying from a bow shop but if that is all it is then it sounds to me like a suckers buy. I'm not trying to offend anyone by the "suckers buy" comment, so please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to figure out the difference.
Once again, thank you for your informational comments. This site is great.

wick
05-13-2011, 07:36 AM
I bought the Exile because it was basically the same core of a bow as the other "high" end bows. I just chose to upgrade it myself which was basically the addition of a string suppressor. The difference in vibration modules that it came with was insignificant to me. exact same riser that the "pro series" crossfire. So why not. I bet both our bows Shoot just as good and are just as fast and quiet as any of the other bows that Martin is selling right now.

TIGON
05-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Thank you wick for your response and I'm starting to feel the same way. How much did you pay for your Exile?

gravedigger
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Thank you wick for your response and I'm starting to feel the same way. How much did you pay for your Exile?

my buddy got his exile for around 400 somthing dollars.all set up,100%ready to rock.with decent add on,sight,drop away,5 arrow quiver,and all tuned and ready to shoot.

wick
05-13-2011, 11:43 AM

I paid $349

wscywabbit
05-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Sorry, I'm still not getting it. My Martin Rack Rage (Exile) came with the SOS system upgrade. So is it like polaris754 said "U GET WHAT U PAY FOR". Well, are you paying extra just to say you have a specific series or name? I do see the benefit from buying from a bow shop but if that is all it is then it sounds to me like a suckers buy. I'm not trying to offend anyone by the "suckers buy" comment, so please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to figure out the difference.
Once again, thank you for your informational comments. This site is great.

The gold series has 7 bows, ranging from $299 to $599. Some don't come with all the bells and whistles, or newer technology (The saber for instance, which is a GREAT bow). The pro series has only 4 bows, ranging from $449 to $759. The only bow that costs more than the gold series top end bow is the Shadowcat, which is a very nice, quality target bow.

These bows, like I said earlier are available ONLY from Martin direct or a Pro Series dealer. Its kinda like a bonus to a dealer for becoming a Martin Pro shop; they get 4 more horses to pedal out of their stable. It really has nothing to do with consumers or even the pro series being "better". They all have the same warranty, come from the same assembly line, and SHARE alot of the same parts and technology.

I just bought an Onza 3 ($599 retail), which is a gold series bow. I was VERY close to buying the Firecat 400 ($599 retail), which is a pro series bow. They have the same limbs, same cams, same strings, same warranty, etc. I went with the Onza because I liked the way it felt and held better (personal preference).

Bottom line, Gold or Pro, as long as you're happy with your purchase that's all that matters. I'm glad you're excited about your new bow, and hope it brings you joy for many years. I still enjoy shooting my first Martin which, btw, is a 2005 Saber, and was listed in the Pro Series that year... ;)

Scott
05-13-2011, 06:58 PM
And then there was Rytera.;)

Simple Life
05-14-2011, 03:04 AM
I still enjoy shooting my first Martin which, btw, is a 2005 Saber, and was listed in the Pro Series that year... ;)

I probably have more shots through my Saber than the Firecat in the past month,still enjoy shooting it.:D

Destroyer
05-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I probably have more shots through my Saber than the Firecat in the past month,still enjoy shooting it.:D

What about your Cougar Mag?

HawgEnvy
05-14-2011, 04:02 PM
I just saw two Sabre's at MC Sports today. An '09 and a '10. $329 RTS pkg. However, the lean on the idler wheel(both bows) was more than I would tolerate from a new bow. Idler pointed at 1o'clock and 7o'clock. The '10 Cheetah I shot had zero lean. I don't really have a point,here. It just seemed odd that the Sabres hit the sales rack being so obviously out of whack.

sorry if I jacked the thread

Simple Life
05-15-2011, 02:23 AM
I just saw two Sabre's at MC Sports today. An '09 and a '10. $329 RTS pkg. However, the lean on the idler wheel(both bows) was more than I would tolerate from a new bow. Idler pointed at 1o'clock and 7o'clock. The '10 Cheetah I shot had zero lean. I don't really have a point,here. It just seemed odd that the Sabres hit the sales rack being so obviously out of whack.

sorry if I jacked the thread

Maybe they don't get the CQ because they are the bottom of the model line http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/dunno.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Destroyer
05-15-2011, 02:36 AM
It just seemed odd that the Sabres hit the sales rack being so obviously out of whack.

Maybe that is why they were still there and cheap? Idler lean has been a problem on other models regardless of the price.

polaris754
05-15-2011, 03:04 AM
The gold series has 7 bows, ranging from $299 to $599. Some don't come with all the bells and whistles, or newer technology (The saber for instance, which is a GREAT bow). The pro series has only 4 bows, ranging from $449 to $759. The only bow that costs more than the gold series top end bow is the Shadowcat, which is a very nice, quality target bow.

These bows, like I said earlier are available ONLY from Martin direct or a Pro Series dealer. Its kinda like a bonus to a dealer for becoming a Martin Pro shop; they get 4 more horses to pedal out of their stable. It really has nothing to do with consumers or even the pro series being "better". They all have the same warranty, come from the same assembly line, and SHARE alot of the same parts and technology.

I just bought an Onza 3 ($599 retail), which is a gold series bow. I was VERY close to buying the Firecat 400 ($599 retail), which is a pro series bow. They have the same limbs, same cams, same strings, same warranty, etc. I went with the Onza because I liked the way it felt and held better (personal preference).

Bottom line, Gold or Pro, as long as you're happy with your purchase that's all that matters. I'm glad you're excited about your new bow, and hope it brings you joy for many years. I still enjoy shooting my first Martin which, btw, is a 2005 Saber, and was listed in the Pro Series that year... ;)

I like what the wabbit said

polaris754
05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
I have to admit I have not shot all the Martin bows , BUT I WILL SAY THIS THEY R ALL GREAT BOWS , IF THEY R GOLD OR PURPLE CRAZY , THEY SHOOT GREAT , really u cant go wrong , with a Martin :D outa get some green strings fer that one LOL

bfisher
05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Where do you get that kind of info? When you look at Martin's website they don't list that stuff. Thanks for the delete, bfisher.
Also, speedykills, I don't understand your spelling, smart guy. Lol
I'm new to this and just looking for help. Thanks to the ones for the help.

Instead of looking at just the bows on the website try looking at the catalog. Usually the first couple pages of the catalog highlight all the latest and greatest features of the bows for that year.