PDA

View Full Version : Martin Silencer TRG

bricka
05-12-2011, 05:14 PM
My Issue is first the fiberglass rod was cracked when I got it from UPS the second issue it seems to be smacking the inner cable slide plus looks like its melting my strings

Simple Life
05-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Welcome to the forum bricka,here is some links-

First has the manual and how to adjust the TRG

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9472-Manual/page2&highlight=Manual

And here is what some guys are using on the string.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9468-New-trg-string-wear&highlight=scorpion+venom

SL

mudpig
05-13-2011, 10:21 AM
My Issue is first the fiberglass rod was cracked when I got it from UPS the second issue it seems to be smacking the inner cable slide plus looks like its melting my strings

Bricka, I had this very same problem with my newest Silencer. Give Joel a call at customer service (cracked TRG rod). He had me take a few pics of it and email to him. He had a replacement in the mail the same day. The melting look of the cables is more than likely your string wax gumming up. I didn't look at the links in the last post, but you can take that extra wax off with a piece of dental floss wrapped around the string then worked the length of the gummed up area....then rewax with one of the OTHER string waxes like Excellerator.

Hope that helps!

bricka
05-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Bricka, I had this very same problem with my newest Silencer. Give Joel a call at customer service (cracked TRG rod). He had me take a few pics of it and email to him. He had a replacement in the mail the same day. The melting look of the cables is more than likely your string wax gumming up. I didn't look at the links in the last post, but you can take that extra wax off with a piece of dental floss wrapped around the string then worked the length of the gummed up area....then rewax with one of the OTHER string waxes like Excellerator.

Hope that helps!

I talked to him he just suggested that I take it to a Martin Dealer for them to get the part which I am going to today. Also I am going to pick up some of that Excellerator as well. With the old hoping I get it back has anyone tried to heat the glue up so you can get the old rod out and replace it with a standard 3/8" rod glued back in.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
05-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Glue? :confused:

bricka
05-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Glue? :confused:

I am talking about the glue that connects the carbon rod to the slide unless it is epoxy

bfisher
05-14-2011, 04:14 AM
I am talking about the glue that connects the carbon rod to the slide unless it is epoxy

I didn't know Martin was gluing them in. All the bows I've owned and seen they are held in with two small (1/8") set screws. Loosen them or remove them and wiggle the rod out. They can be pretty tight. Push the new rod in or if need be use a hammer/mallet to tap it in and reinstall the set screws.

If it is glued in I would probably start by cutting it off close to the riser and using a small drill bit just drill it, working up to and finishing with a 3/8" bit. Then drill and tap two holes on the side to use set screws for the new one. Or maybe just one hole and set screw.

MLN1963
05-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Barry

The cable rod is glued into the TRG not the riser. I think you were thinking it is glued on the riser end?

I asked Ryan about that the other night. He said they rod is too short to use a cable slide even if you could get the TRG off the rod.

bfisher
05-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Barry

The cable rod is glued into the TRG not the riser. I think you were thinking it is glued on the riser end?

I asked Ryan about that the other night. He said they rod is too short to use a cable slide even if you could get the TRG off the rod.

You're right. I misunderstood. A common fault of mine. I'm a little surprised it doesn't have set screws. It would allow for more adjustment. I do have to admit I haven't seen a bow with the TRG to make an objective decision on this.

MLN1963
05-14-2011, 10:52 AM
It's pinned and glued. Any movement fore and aft is made by loosening the screws on the riser and sliding it.

Destroyer
05-14-2011, 03:39 PM
You're right. I misunderstood.

Was thinking the exact same thing bfisher. I don't like 'glued' in anything really.

bricka
05-25-2011, 11:04 AM
It's pinned and glued. Any movement fore and aft is made by loosening the screws on the riser and sliding it.

As for the pin where is it from the top i haven't really took the sos off to look at the top. On mine i do not see any obvious sign of a pin just the glue from the end.

MLN1963
05-25-2011, 11:47 AM
My old one had what looked like a roll pin that was vertical thru the TRG and Rod. I haven't seen what the new one looks like yet.

bricka
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
My old one had what looked like a roll pin that was vertical thru the TRG and Rod. I haven't seen what the new one looks like yet.

I will take a picture of it and can figure it out then

bricka
05-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Here is what it looks like don't seem to be a pin 28632864

HawgEnvy
05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm in the same boat,Barry. It seems that the TRG not being adjustable could probably be it's biggest problem. Building some adjustment into it would solve many peoples issues I would think. If someone wants to send me one, I'll use my redneck ingenuity to make it adjustable n send it back to you. I personally like my cable rod just fine.

bricka
05-25-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm in the same boat,Barry. It seems that the TRG not being adjustable could probably be it's biggest problem. Building some adjustment into it would solve many peoples issues I would think. If someone wants to send me one, I'll use my redneck ingenuity to make it adjustable n send it back to you. I personally like my cable rod just fine.

I have a new TRG on order from the local bow shop once I get that I am going to attempt to put the old one I have in the oven on a low temp and work my way up until the rod frees up. Once it does free up I am going to replace it with a 3/8 aluminum rod. Wish me luck

MLN1963
05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Here is what it looks like don't seem to be a pin 28632864

My new one looks like that too. They must just glue them now. I recall speaking with Ryan Martin about removing the TRG from the rod and he said it was pinned and glued. Ultimately it wouldn't matter because the rod would have been to short for me to try a cable slide on anyway. So he sent me a free cable slide, rod, and STS for my bow. :cool:

MLN1963
05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a new TRG on order from the local bow shop once I get that I am going to attempt to put the old one I have in the oven on a low temp and work my way up until the rod frees up. Once it does free up I am going to replace it with a 3/8 aluminum rod. Wish me luck

I would just cut it off flush and drill it out to size. Actually, I'd probably try a heat gun or hair drier first and then cut and drill.

HawgEnvy
05-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I would just cut it off flush and drill it out to size. Actually, I'd probably try a heat gun or hair drier first and then cut and drill.

agreed. Wouldn't try the oven

bricka
05-25-2011, 02:40 PM
agreed. Wouldn't try the oven

I will try the other options but if facts are right plastic shouldn't melt untill 300 degrees

bricka
06-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Well finally got the new TRG will be installing it tonight but i had to send in the old one so I have to wait to do the aluminum rod till this one cracks or starts to splinter. :(

wscywabbit
06-02-2011, 08:36 AM
I know they sent you the new one gratis, but if you really wanted to play with one to see what you could do, they're only $16.90 plus shipping from the martin store. ;)

bricka
06-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Very true but I am on a tight budget

bowgramp59
06-08-2011, 05:34 PM
not good ! the css is the best.