PDA

View Full Version : rh stage 2

polaris754
05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
hey about helical fetching , i have shot rights fer ever ,and straights , except fer a few small diff i dont see any diff ? is there any notice ia ble diff on lefties ?:rolleyes:

gibson 787
05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
hey about helical fetching , i have shot rights fer ever ,and straights , except fer a few small diff i dont see any diff ? is there any notice ia ble diff on lefties ?

I've tried both and have found no difference at all, shoot equally bad with either. I recall reading somewhere a while back, that arrows shot from a hooter shooter had better groups with lefties, but I dunno.

Here's some info I dragged up - There have been some past writings that suggest that right handed shooters should shoot left wing and that left handed shooters should shoot right wing. The theory behind this advice is that the arrow should spin away from the bow riser. Actually, it doesn't really matter and the choice is really a personal one. I currently have the remnants from two different sets of arrows in my back quiver. One set is fletched with left helical, the other with right helical. I really cannot tell any difference in how they fly or in how they are wearing. The one critical thing is that you do not mix left and right feathers on the same arrow

SonnyThomas
05-14-2011, 05:48 AM
polaris, with a properly set up and tuned bow you won't see a big difference or difference at all. Helical is basically used for fixed broadheads though some us (me) use helical for target.

If tuned well, the only difference seen would be through down range velocity. Less drag with straight or slightly offset and more drag with helical. And then throw in the difference of weight of feathers or vanes. I would example 2" Blazers and their kind. Said is not to exceed 3 degrees of offset - more robs down range speed, but not accuracy.

So I first got Blazers and wrapped them on with a full helical. They looked neat! Accuracy was outstanding. So my Bohning sponsored buddy up and tells me I'm not to exceed 3 degrees. Not understanding, I dishearteningly removed the neat looking fletching jobs and went with 2 degrees. Dumb me! Hey, I'm not shooting Outdoor Target or Field. I'm shooting 3D where normal ranges do not exceed 45 to 50 yards. When it came time to refletch? Yep, helical. I'll try to get some pics of some short vane helical fletchings today...... Gots to go, will be late to play... I mean late getting to work at the archery shop :D Dang targets and 3Ds just have to be shot.

justin
05-14-2011, 07:03 AM
i had some aarows with full right helical with blazers..... the only thing i didnt like about them is the whould repeatedly get holes in them from other aarows, they flew great!!! now after trying sheild cut fusions (sonny talked them up at one point) with full helical, its my new preferance in fleching!! i love um!!!

Destroyer
05-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Just don't try the AAE 2010 Max Hunter vanes, not impressed at all.

hey about helical fetching

There is NO difference between left and right regardless of what some silly ppl say. ;)

SonnyThomas
05-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Pics - Right is a CXL 350 with left helical - low profile. Bow sighted in with CXL 250s with 1.75" Bohning Shield cut X vanes fletched right full helical (orange and white). Right - If you going to make writing pens you may as well give them a full helical - Fusion vanes. Middle - the left hand helical CXL 350 shot dead on from 20 yards (33 grs heavier than my CXL 250s).

Destroyer
05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
If you going to make writing pens you may as well give them a full helical

LOL! Makes you write smoother?

SonnyThomas
05-14-2011, 04:02 PM
LOL! Makes you write smoother?

Only if you're right handed. You need left helical for left handed people. (me bad.... I just had to)

Of course the left helical vanes arrow flew straight with my right helical vaned arrows. ??? Maybe 'cuz me bow is a Martin? (dang! I'm on a roll)

Destroyer
05-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Only if you're right handed. You need left helical for left handed people.

LMAO! :D

Btw, neat idea those pens, must make one.

Ehunter
05-15-2011, 12:13 PM
While we're all talking about vanes, I had a thought. Is there any real advantage to using a higher profile vane like a Blazer when you are using mechanical broadheads? I would personally think something like a 3D Duravane would be plenty sufficient. My turkey arrows are fletched with NAP 2" low profile quick spins, and they fly perfectly with Rocket Hammerheads (2" cut) mechanicals. I understand the need for a higher profile or longer fletchings with fixed blade heads, but for mechanical, what's wrong with short and low?

Destroyer
05-15-2011, 03:37 PM
what's wrong with short and low?

Nothing if they are shooting well. Might even offer an advantage by catching less cross wind. ;)