PDA

View Full Version : New grip vs. Old grip ?????

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-14-2011, 03:02 PM
I was at a local Cabelas the other day and I saw they had the new Pantera and the Onza there. I noticed the Pantera had the older grip with the nice thermal pad. The Onza had a much smaller grip with very little thermal grip. I know the smaller and thinner grip is on most of the new Martins. I wanted to see how everyone likes the new grip versus the old one. I personally like the older grip. I have a 2010 Cheetah and would not go to the Exile based on the grip. Many bow companies use the thinner grip but Im not sure what the advantage of that would be for hunting? I know its personal preference, for hunting the thicker grip seemed easier to hold the bow and had more of the thermal feature.The new Pantera looked and felt like a great bow for the price. The thinner grip seems more suited for target shooters. I could be wrong just my thoughts. What is everyones' preference?

Destroyer
05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
I like smaller grips on all my bows, less torque . Haven't tried a 2011 Martin yet.

SonnyThomas
05-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Of the Onza3 the grip is contoured and narrow like that of a target bow. So I sort of like that. If hunting and wear gloves the narrow grip should set better in the natural "pocket" of the hand.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Of the Onza3 the grip is contoured and narrow like that of a target bow. So I sort of like that. If hunting and wear gloves the narrow grip should set better in the natural "pocket" of the hand.
x 2 Sonny is right, it also cuts down on wanting to grip the bow.

Hutch

wscywabbit
05-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I also liked the older grips as well, but I gotta say, the new grips are pretty sweet!:D

Simple Life
05-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Took a bit to get used to the small grips,but starting to like them now.

Ehunter
05-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm with SL on this one. I had a heck of a time getting my FC400 to tune well. Tried everything, and nothing seemed to help much. Finally I tried moving the riser slightly out from my palm towards my thumb. Accuracy change was immediate, and for the better. I personally liked the old grips better, but after moving the riser slightly out of the "pocket" of my hand, I'm getting as good of groups with the new FC as I did with the old one. Same with my Onza. Guess the new risers just didn't like my old grip. lol

Bowhunter_IL_BT
05-15-2011, 01:11 PM
I like feel like I can stabilze the bow better with the older grip. I cant hold it with just my thumb and index finger like some people do. I feel my palm gets more stabilization with the older grip along with the thermal grip.

Speedykills
05-15-2011, 01:32 PM
I like the old grip with wood side plates,ive always liked that kind of grip.

gibson 787
05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
My first impression of the new thinner grip was "I don't like the feel of this", but after shooting it for a while, my dislike softened to "I don't mind this new grip" BUT, when I went back to the old thermal, I knew that was the one I prefer. It's an individual thing, my grip on a bow is very light so I have virtually no torquing problems. The thin grips certainly are a help in that department.

Destroyer
05-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Its the curved part that has me thinking. Too different from the normal style grip?

Ehunter
05-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Destroyer. The curved part was what was throwing me off. It didn't fit the "pocket" of my hand like the old risers did. Ended up having to move the riser around in my grip to find a spot it wanted to "settle" in.

Destroyer
05-15-2011, 05:20 PM
That's not good E, it should help to locate your hand without moving around.

HawgEnvy
05-15-2011, 07:14 PM
my Athens Accomplice 34 has a very thin,narrow grip w wood side plates. I shoot that style grip very accurately. It's quite similar to the Alien Nemesis.

My '08 Cheetah has the thermal grip. Very different style and feel than the Athens. But I'm also extremely accurate with that grip as well.

this is just my opinion,but I think if you have the basic fundamentals of hand placement shoot alot,it will become second nature to be able to switch from bow to bow with different style grips and have no accuracy issues.

nuker
05-16-2011, 03:57 AM
Not everyone will like ANY grip, which is why there is a market for aftermarket grips. But even if you are comfortable with the riser shape, the thermal grip sliding around is still an issue. If you take off the sticky piece of leather (aka the band-aid), the finish doesn't hold up and the riser ends up with a bare spot. I saw no choice but to put on a grip, which gets rid of any hand position issue, protects the bow from my hand, and looks good to boot. I do wish Martin would send Shrewd the risers before they hit the market. Then, if we want to use a narrow grip, and we don't care for what comes from the factory, it's an option. Shrewds are less costly than my alternative (Loesch), but they have to make them first. Martin can't make a riser grip that everyone likes, and I don't fault them for that, but they could accomodate an aftermarket solution. The finish could use an upgrade, though. Just cleaning off the riser from the sticky stuff rubbed the finish real thin. Bowtech's finish holds up shooting off the riser (2 years and still looks like new), and they are putting out a pretty decent bow for about $600-700, as well. Adding $100 to the cost of the the Onza for a grip, then another $8 for the setscrews from Fastenal for the limb bolts (and the trip to get them), and the tinkering with the TRG project, Martin loses it's advantage over the Bowtechs, Dartons, and Alpines. For me, the Martin's were just more comfortable. Everything is a trade off, I guess.

HawgEnvy
05-16-2011, 04:37 AM
I hear alot of problems w the thermal grip. Maybe my Cheetah is the exception,but I haven't had even the slightest of problems or inconveniences with it. I would however like some wood side plates for it when I re-finish the riser

bfisher
05-16-2011, 04:49 AM
I've always used the Thermal Elite grip which is essentially the stick-on leather strips with side plates in place. I've never had an issue with the leather, but it wraps around and under the sideplates. Just makes me wonder if this helps it stay in place.

For the record, neither my "Z" or Nemisis has the leather piece on them.

Nuker, did you ever get a PM from me?

TIGON
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
The newer thermal grip on my 2011 Martin Rack Attack (Exile) is very thin. I was told it is for better stabilization of the bow. Is that true? It sounds more like as preference or something u have to practice with to get used to it.

HawgEnvy
05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I've always been pretty comfortable w the thermal grips on Martins bows. I have had the pleasure of shooting another style except on the Nemesis. The Martin grips are some of the most comfortable I've shot. That the biggest reason I don't own a Matthews or Bowtech. I can shoot Hoyt's pretty well,too. Just about any of the thin,narrow grips.

I think the idea that the thermal grips having an element of stabilization to the bow is spot on.

polaris754
05-16-2011, 02:23 PM
nothing new here OLD ! :rolleyes:

Simple Life
05-16-2011, 03:57 PM
I was told it is for better stabilization of the bow. Is that true? It sounds more like as preference or something u have to practice with to get used to it.

Thin grips are suppose to reduce torque.I found it just took some time to "get the feel"sort to speak.

SL