PDA

View Full Version : gold coin removal

HawgEnvy
05-15-2011, 06:47 AM
what's the best way to remove it from the riser? My brother in law said he could bead blast the rise of my Cheetah so I could do a custom job on it. I've just gotta strip it down(VEM's,coin,etc). What's my best option. I don't want to ruin things in the process.

MLN1963
05-15-2011, 06:51 AM
It is probably glued in but who knows what kind of glue. Maybe heat it up with a hair drier and gently pry on it?

Maybe a call to Martin or ask the powder coaters on here?

archerx7
05-15-2011, 07:25 AM
My best advice would be to use a hair dryer and a small screw driver and work very slowly going around the edge as you warm it up. Take your time and work slow and you should be able to get it off with little to no damage. Keep in mind the coin is very soft metal and will discolor if you use too much heat.

HawgEnvy
05-15-2011, 07:35 AM
I figured it was a soft metal or coated plastic. Either way a pencil torch is a no no. I've got 3M spray adhesive and rubber cement to re-attach when it's done. Either one should do th trick I would think. There's the Martin american flag emblem to that needs to come off. That might be tricky. I'll use the hair dryer on that,too. I definitely want to keep the flag emblem. I adds character to the bow.

Money Man
05-15-2011, 09:15 AM
My coin fell out and it looked like just a dab of glue in the middle of it holding it in. I have to head into work, but tomorrow I can put up a photo if you need to see it.

gravedigger
05-15-2011, 10:37 AM
use a dropper and then drip some fingernail polish remover around the coin and the slight gap of the riser.the remover will eat the glue and not the coin

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Good Idea GD!

HUTCH:cool:

gravedigger
05-15-2011, 11:24 AM
thanks hutch..i have my moments..lol

HawgEnvy
05-15-2011, 01:59 PM
use a dropper and then drip some fingernail polish remover around the coin and the slight gap of the riser.the remover will eat the glue and not the coin

ahhh! That never crossed my mind. Thanks, GD.

bbjavelina
05-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I believe that a "state quarter" will fit nicely in the hole once the medallion is removed.

Been wanting to do that for better than a year, but it's far easier to sit here and drink another rum than actually get up and do something.

Best of luck to you.

Destroyer
05-15-2011, 04:02 PM
but it's far easier to sit here and drink another rum than actually get up and do something.

Lol! Yep much easier!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-15-2011, 04:10 PM
what's the best way to remove it from the riser? My brother in law said he could bead blast the rise of my Cheetah so I could do a custom job on it. I've just gotta strip it down(VEM's,coin,etc). What's my best option. I don't want to ruin things in the process.
When you get it out don't spend it!

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
05-15-2011, 05:28 PM
ahhh! That never crossed my mind. Thanks, GD.

happy to help.if you do try the fingernail polish remover let us know how it works.i might just have to try the quater thing.it might look good.im not a fan of gold.

HawgEnvy
05-15-2011, 06:10 PM
happy to help.if you do try the fingernail polish remover let us know how it works.i might just have to try the quater thing.it might look good.im not a fan of gold.

I'll let you know. The state quarter is a very creative idea. That I will do for sure.

Money Man
05-17-2011, 05:24 AM
I finally got around to taking some pics. Quarters do fit nicely.

HawgEnvy
05-17-2011, 05:50 AM
thanks for the pic,MM. That looks nice. I'm gettin my ducks in a row and will be strippin the bow down real soon. I'll get some progress pics as I go.